Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by enigma, Oct 24, 2014.

1. enigma

enigma New Member

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum.Im thinking of getting back into shooting again and wondered what the best gun is thinking of buying a walther or steyr, which is best.Is one more reliable than the other when it comes to fixing them, and who's best to carry out such work.

2. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello mate,

what are you thinking of doing, FT - HFT?

Pete Dutton is your man for anything Walther, Steyr is a bit harder, as getting parts is tricky and expensive.

Both are reliable, but the Steyr need TLC, especially is you are going to shoot it in the wet. The Walther is good, but not to everyone's tatse and they no longer make the lg300 so you will have to buy second hand.

Have you thought about a HW100?

Gary

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. enigma

enigma New Member

Don't know really haven't made up my mind. HFT looks harder than ft.what difference does it make what discipline you do as to which gun to choose.

4. Scottish Guy

Scottish Guy Member

Club:
    Dunfermlie ARC
    :DTrying to start a keyboard war?:D

5. skires

skires Well-Known Member

No difference at all these days. Scopes are a big difference.

One has basically one rule which is ... whatever you do don't talk about the rules ... and the other has no rules.

Neither are easy and both are very addictive and great fun. One is a bit steadier but with smaller mag, generally smaller kills and a closer max distance. The other is a bit wobblier with larger mag, generally larger kills but a further max distance.

Fashion wise ... one's a bit Gimpy and the other a bit Rambo ... but there are cross dressers.

Go to both types of shoots ... clubs ... try people's guns ... and take your pic ... or do both like many do but you will need two set ups ( different scopes ).

6. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Few words of wisdom if your thinking of going into FT
    You need to be an expert in the following fields

70's pop stars
    Fake tan
    Bad taste
    Keyboard wars
    Ginger rinse

Never mention the police and trolls

Practice loads and you'll knock loads of tin chickens over

Most modern cannons are good , put your money into decent second hand kit rather than new would be my advice
    Either a Walther or decent fettled EV2
    Scope if your starting out Big Nikko

Over and Sprout

7. enigma

enigma New Member

Ok thanks for the advice.l thought that HFT looked harder because you have to guess the range where ft you just read the scope.

8. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Go along to a few local clubs or events to try to get a feel what you want to try, you may decide that competitions are for you in which case you can just get something that will do a bit of both.

You also need to decide how much you wanna spend as its not just about a rifle and scope, you have clothing,pellets,bottles etc

Personally id suggest buying a s/h s400 just to get shooting with then if you do decide on something more expensive at a later date you wont lose too much money.

9. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Burt alert

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers

Steyr vs Walther.

I've shot Walthers for years. And this year I've moved to a steyr.

In my opinion...

In terms of accuracy, if both are on song, then I'd say there's nothing really in it. In terms of shooting cycle, the trigger on the walther is better, but the steyr one can be set up to be not that bad. The walther has more kick, they steyr with it's stripper is as dead as it gets. However following pellets is more down to position, follow through & lighting conditions than the kick.

In terms of servicing...

The steyr can be taken apart down to it's core components with ease... 4 allen keys is really all you need. However there's a lot of parts and getting the barrel and block right take experience. It also does need maintenance. On song it's good, but it can go off on one if not. It's high maintenance, but then really guns should be looked after.

The Walther is more tricky to take apart to service, requiring more tools to drift it's pins out, and a few steps require some tricks to make them easier. But it's far more simple to change certain things, like reg, knock open valve seals etc.
    The walther will go on and on. In the 7-8 years I shot mine, it refused to fire a shot once in all those seasons, when 1/2 a tonne of junk was washed inside through a gap in my ill fitting custom stock. However it can lull you into a false sense of security and as such probably could do with more servicing than it indicates. But i've had more issues with my new steyr in 1/2 a season than my walthers in 7-8.

That said, i'm still persevering with the steyr, and when on song i'm more than happy with it.

Walther can be serviced by many, or yourself, and so can steyrs. But i'd say your more likely to get an indicator of what's wrong with a walther than a steyr. I've had 2 issues on mine, and despite a strip and inspection revealing nothing, both never revealed what the issue was, but they were fixed afterwards with nothing changed.

To be honest, i'd pick the one you prefer shooting.

But the advice about getting just something to start with and finding your feet is good. Many rush out and buy the top end and expect to be up there in a few weeks. It only leads to disappointment when after a few weeks they're not there. FT and HFT have far more to it than the thing in your hands. I'd start cheap, and only move on when you're certain what element is holding you back.

Ask 10 FT & HFT shooters for an opinion, and you'll probably end up with 25 answers :D

Welcome onboard :)

11. Scottish Guy

Scottish Guy Member

Club:
    Dunfermlie ARC
    Some great words of wisdom and advice there Scott :D I could add afew but I will leave it to your imagination
    WOOF

12. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

That's strange, I've shot my LG100 in every winter league since 2004 and it's never been serviced and nothing has broken or fallen off. :confused:

All I've ever done with it is reset the power occasionally and wiped the rain off. :D

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Mine siezed the first time it got wet. But then the roller bearings had been degreased. So it was probably my own silly fault. But then the bearings sit right above the hammer which isn't where you want lube to go.

14. ianh1966

ianh1966 Member

I got into HFT with a £175 AA S200 and a £200 MTC Connect SL scope a little over a year ago and still use the same setup.
    Starting to get a few good results but enjoy every time out with a great bunch of guys all around the country.
    This sport is sooooo addictive and my gun proves you don't need to spend a fortune on 'Top' gear to have a blast and knock over a wood full of tin chickens....

15. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    Shouldn't that be Bad breath ?? :)

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Not

I did not Know you had Bad breath , strokenbloke ??? HOLLY:):D

17. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Most of the Steyr vs Walther opinions have already been covered. I owned a Dommie for a year and although the rifle seemed fine i would be consistantly 2 or 3 targets under my normal score and yet there are dozens of shooters out there that have never had a Dommie miss a beat and there's been a fair few trophies won. The reason i bought a Dommie was because i was sick of my Steyr having tantrums but went back to Steyr, and with a bit of knowledge mine have been fine. One thing that you really have to be careful with when buying SH Steyrs is to give the rifle a really good look over for butchered screw heads. Because the Steyr is so easy to get into there are some out there that have been tinkered with by people who haven't a clue. You wouldn't believe the stuff i've seen when servicing a Steyr.

As for FT vs HFT:rolleyes:

Both are great.......but very, very different.

18. enigma

enigma New Member

Ok thanks for all the advice think I will go for the walther. :)