Newbie shooter looking for some sound advice from those in the know...

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Stevenjdowd, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

Hello from East London. I'm newly entering the world of airgunning and looking for a great PCP rifle + glass set up that will get me in the weeds bunny-busting whilst able to target shoot effectively.

What should I be considering? ...guns/stocks, calibre, scope types/sizes, accessories, anything I'm not thinking about etc

From research so far I like the sound of the BSA R10 II or a secondhand Daystate IV but would value your input.
    Am I right in thinking .177 is best for small game and allowing my unfettered access to shooting clubs, ie I heard .22 wouldn't be eligible for some.
    Re glass, I have no idea what's best for both. Is big best?

I'm lucky enough to have a generous budget of £1000 but want to get the full rig for that. Look forward to your ideas. Thanks in advance chaps and chapesses. Rgs SD

2. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello Bud.

Both the rifles you have mentioned are OK, but are a bit fragile. The Daystate's can be accurate, but due to their electronic nature they can not really be worked on and a service from Daystate is over £300 when you include the postage.

The R10mk2 is OK, however, for the money you have there is much more out avaliable.

Personally. I would go for a Weirauch Hw100, they are extremely accurate with German build quality, they are regulated and have the best magazine system on the market and are a bargain second hand.

As far as scopes are concerned, a great starting point is the MTC viper 10x44, this can be used for bunny bashing and competition and gives plenty of aim points, a large scope will give you a small depth of field and as you will only be hunting out to about 40 yards with a sub 12ftlb, then 10 mag max and a smaller objective is best. You can also look at a Hawke Panorama or Nite eye digital 3-12x50 half mill dot (Used by the current hft world champion) and about £150.

Caliber is a thorny question. If you fancy having a go at target shooting as well as bunny bashing then go for .177. A .177 will take a rabbit with ease. If you are only interested in hunting, then get a laser rangefinder and a .22.

Hope this helps

Gary

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  3. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi,
    Don't forget to factor in the cost of filling gear for your PCP i.e. Dive bottle , gauge and whip assembly , or possibly a hand pump .

Cheers,
    Lofty.

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Hello

Hello mate . get your self down to Springfield ARC this weekend . sat or sunday . it is near chipping ongar so not to far from you . they have a comp sunday , so a lot of shooters gonna be there . with all the gear . so you can look , natter and posibly try some . and that won't cost you a bean . for me a air arms MPR in 177 ( adjustable stock ) with a MK 111 nikko on top will do what ever you want . plus if you decide to upgrade your rifle , you can keep the scope and put it on the next one . which will help a lot .REMEMBER all that glistens is not gold ??? HOLLY

PS Springfeld has air bottles there , to save you buying one .

5. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Wise words from the old Guru... :D

6. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    I concur and agree with all the replies. Get your self to a few clubs, and have a chat to shooters there. Most of them will let you have a shoot with their rifles, just ask politely. Some clubs may have club rifles that you will be able to hire for the day, at a modest charge.

£1000 is a good budget to have for your first setup, should get you a good rifle, scope, bag, bottle and filling kit.

One last thing, finding a rifle that suits you is a very personal thing, all the advice, is here or at clubs. But in the end it is up to you which one you fall in love with.

I wish you well, it will be a great journey and loads of fun along the way.

David

7. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

Thanks for the advice all. Really appreciate the steer. I look forward to locking down a bargain and posting the results of my foray into the sport!

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Steven, some good advice already but you don't specify what type of target shooting you fancy trying?. depending on whether you choose HFT or FT will greatly vary the type of scopes needed.

For example the Hawke that Gary (Scutter) mentioned will fit the bill if wanting to hunt and do some HFT but will not have a high enough magnification to range find for FT, the most popular HFT scope is the MTC 10x44 Viper. For FT you would need something with a minimum of 32 mag and decent optics which could run into 1000 for the scope alone.:)

I personally wouldn't go with the R10 or the Daystate and once again (can't quite believe it:D) agree with Gary that the HW100 is a superb bit of kit. For charging gear i would say go with a 7 litre 300 bar bottle is it gives the best balance between number of fills vs mobility.

get to a club mate....it will be worth it's weight in gold.:D

9. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

Forgive my ignorance. I had to google HFT Vs FT as I wasn't familiar with the terms. To be honest, I'm not sure not having done either but I think as I want to bring home the bunnies HFT is perhaps more appropriate as it means I can become live-quarry accurate in shooting and guesstimating ranges etc. FT feels a little more, erm, high brow I guess and I appreciate the kit for such a sport can be of the chart expensive.
    For my interests is choosing HFT for these reasons sound or am I missing something?

Def want to get to a gun club. Without a car in Central London it will be a train out to somewhere nearby. If you have views on where that would also be valuable.

10. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

I hear handpumps are less desirable than tanks as they can't clean the air the same and can create moisture build up in the cylinder. Is this right? Is a tank best for rifle hygiene/longevity?

11. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Yes mate....and you will soon get fed up of the hassle/energy required. the newer pumps aren't as bad for moisture but there's a reason why most use bottles.;)

I agree with your thinking about HFT helping with your hunting skills. Although there's no alternative to having good field craft, HFT is fantastic at teaching target ranging by eye. It will also teach you about how accurate an air rifle can be and how aim points change with elevation/range. For example, you would be amazed how many people zero at 35 yards and don't realise just how high the pellet climbs at 25 yards.

12. madplinker

madplinker Member

I would agree that the hw100 is the best rifle for hunting and a bit of target shooting or HFT comps I would go with the rifle rather than the carbine version of that rifle. Also you can usually pick one up second hand most places have a look at Blackpool air rifles second hand section there usually is a very good selection you get a small warranty and at a small fee get delivered to your closest gun shop.

Scope wise for hunting and target shooting fixed mag mtc viper 10 x 44 or the hawke tac 30 fixed mag both good all round scopes new around £200 each give or take a few quid. Also I personally go for a dive bottle a lot less bother and you will get one second hand too. all should just come in under your budget also sling to carry rifle around the fields etc and a gun bag too.:):):)

13. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

What's a second hand bottle cost? Where is it best to buy one from? I appreciate they have a 5 yr test requirement. When it comes to tanks, how old is too old to be safe... Or do they just go on forever?

14. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi,
    The 5 year test applies to surface use tanks only i.e. Tanks that have a gauge as an integral part of the valve assembly.
    Tanks used for diving have to be tested every 2 1/2 years and full hydrostatic test every 5 years.

Back to your query, there's no real time frame on tanks either surface use only or ones meant for diving.
    My tank for example is used both for diving and my guns. I've had this tank since the 90's and it has only had one valve assembly in all that time. Also it is a steel tank and has passed all tests in that time apart from the valve. So no signs of any rust inside.

Tanks also come in aluminum , which makes them a tad lighter and of course no rust issues. One issue with ali tanks , can be and I stress can be that the thread in the neck can 'stretch' over time , this will show up on the test though and usually means game over for that tank.

Don't panic though this is NOT common .

You should be OK buying secondhand as long as the tank is 'In test' and all tanks have to have the test data on them showing how long they have left before testing is required. If a tank is 'Out of test' any reputable filling station will refuse to fill until a test has been done and passed.

Also notice that you have no car ? So may want to consider a 7ltr 300 bar tank as they are a lot lighter to carry around downside will be if you shoot a lot then more trips to refill unless you get a bigger tank as well to de-can't from, think this was mentioned in an earlier post by RobF ?.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers,
    Lofty.

15. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

It does, tanks a lot Lofty!
    Sounds like the 7l is the best option for me. Now to source one.
    What should I be looking pay for a second hand one? New seems to be £160 so I'm guessing around half that +\- £20? Sound about right?

16. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    You'd be lucky to get a 7 litre for that! 120 in test is more the going rate 2nd hand. Also try a Daystate huntsman (or regal) for size. Will hunt & hft with the best of them!:D

17. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

Ok, great thanks MF.

I have news too. After hunting around the forums, perhaps rather emotionally as it was unseen, I pulled the trigger and purchased the rifle of my childhood dreams yesterday. It was delivered today and is sat in front of me smiling as I write this...

I found a mint Theoben Rapid 7 Mk2 Anschutz at a price I'm comfortable with. I've not even put a pellet through it yet and I'm already in love!

Spec for those interested is:
    Theoben Rapid 7 Mark II Anschutz .22 (pushing out at 11.5 ft/lbs over chrono at last test)
    Full Kev G tune
    Threaded barrel bites into a 16" custom Steve Pegg silencer (super quiet)
    Custom bolt handle (comfortable, although this I may change)
    Bipod (Harris?)
    12 shot mag, 400cc bottle
    Hawke Eclipse 3-9x40

I'm keen to know more about it's history. 011336 printed on the action under the scope (forgive me if that's not the right term) which I assume is the serial number. Can anyone tell me more, eg when made etc?

I look forward to getting familiar with her!

18. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

Some more research shows it was made in March 2001

19. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Saw this on Pigeon watch? As long as you are happy. Not an ideal calibre for HFT/FT. Enjoy your first rifle.

David

20. Stevenjdowd

Stevenjdowd New Member

I did indeed. Bought from a fella in Newport who works at a large gun shop there. I did think about the calibre as I appreciate .177 has a flatter trajectory for the HFT but ultimately I decided I want to get up to speed on targets in order to translate effectively to the field and bring home the bunnies/woodies. I also see the additional stopping power of the .22 over the .177 as a way to ensure the quarry goes down painlessly if every shot isn't mm-perfect every time in the early days until I become a dead eye sniper!