Newbie question

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Ocean, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Ocean

Ocean New Member

Afternoon all, I have a newbie question which sounds embarassingly basic. Can someone please explain how to quick fill a steyr cylinder. I have been provided with an adaptor probe and a dust plug. Thanks in advance!

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Normally they are done by engineers... i'm not sure there's a retro fit part, but 3000psi is not something for home diy jobs.

3. Ocean

Ocean New Member

hi rob, thanks for the reply, but I don't think I made my question clear! I meant is there any trick to filling the steyr cylinder with the quick fill probe. What I do is insert the probe into the cylinder port, fill to 200bar, switch off the tank, but then when i remove the probe I get a big hiss and lose about 3-4psi. Is this the normal technique or am I doing something wrong? thanks in advance

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    There is a bleed screw on the fitting that screws into the dive cylinder (tank). Once you have filled the rifle, you shut the valve on top of the dive cylinder and open the bleed screw, this empties the air out of the filling hose.

You should not lose any air from the rifle cylinder, as that has a one way valve inside.

5. madplinker

madplinker Member

Hi

You put in your probe into the cylinder but before you do this make sure your dump valve or screw on your bottle is tight fill to 200 bar when cylinder is filled turn off the bottle then release the dump valve which you will get a hiss of air once air has gone then pull out your probe from cylinder. :):):):):):)

You should not be pulling probe out straight after filling your cylinder to 200bar with out closing bottle and releasing dump valve.

6. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

3-4 psi out of 200bar is insignificant, can you really measure that tiny pressure drop ?

7. Ocean

Ocean New Member

thanks all, that must be it - in my excitement with my new steyr I wasn't releasing the release valve on the side of the tank, sometimes it needs a fresh set of eyes when looking at a problem, much appreciated! :)

8. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I think he means 3-4 bar.
    Bear in mind if you fill quickly the air heats up in the rifle cylinder (and that in the dive tank cools at the same time). After you finish the fill and close the valves, when you leave the rifle a few minutes, the air in the rifle fcylinder gradually cools to ambient temp and will read a few bar lower than it did immediately after closing the valve.