Newbie question: should I hear air hissing when unscrewing air cylinder?

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by athelas, Feb 9, 2019.

1. athelas

athelas New Member

Club:
    Lea Valley (Probational at this time)
    Hi All -
    It's my first time attempting adjustment of my second hand LG110 HFT Hunting (2014)!

Gulp.

I have watched the Steyr Sport videos - have got the tools - looking to eliminate muzzle flip by adjusting the stabiliser travel.

Safety says the first thing to do is remove the air cylinder. The cylinder manometer shows its between 50 - 100 bar, but as I slowly start to unscrew it, I soon hear the sound of escaping air. Is that to be expected? Is this just air emptying from the regulator and not from the cylinder - and I should just remain unconcerned and continue to carefully unscrew until it stops hissing?

The manual and the videos don't indicate that this is to be expected - so wanted to first check I wasn't about to blow up!

After it started to hiss, I immediately stopped and screwed it back in. As it was almost fully in, I heard another, quite different sound of air movement in the mechanism. I was wondering if this might be the regulator being replenished with air it had lost?

Thanks

2. sstyle

sstyle Member

3. athelas

athelas New Member

Club:
    OK - thanks for your quick reply! I will continue to carefully unscrew it.

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yes, just unscrew it quick and the hiss will be momentary. It's not unusual to hear air escape from the gun after you've disconnected, it might do it right away, it might do it some time later, it might do it all. Be aware though that just because you've unscrewed the cylinder it does not mean the rifle is empty of air... as ever, treat it as loaded, and never assume otherwise. I say this because it's easy to get complacent when you think a rifle is unloaded and has no air, and then you catch the trigger and get a big shock when it goes bang. :)

cloverleaf and Darron like this.
  5. athelas

athelas New Member

Club:
    OK - Thanks for the warning!

I am pleased to report that I managed to get past this initial issue, and did get the stabiliser travel stopping at the point recommended in the Steyr maintenance videos. Now all I need is a trip to Pete's Airgun Farm to check what difference this has made ...

6. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Have you got the Steyr or any other stripper fitted?

7. athelas

athelas New Member

Club:
    Hi bootneckbob! Funny you should ask - I currently have an unidentifed stripper fitted. It is a single cone design. But looking on the forum I have seen recommendations to get Steyr's own 2 cone design. So I ordered one of these last week. I understand the trick with strippers (the air kind - not the other kind) is to find the optimal distance between the muzzle and the cone entrance. But I would be interested in why you asked your question??

8. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    There's not really any adjustment with the Steyr one but I've played around with one cone and two cones-you will have to draw your own conclusions when you get yours. I've had one in the rear 'oh er' and one forward, plus having the double, all with different results depending on pellets. I run it with one at the mo but I need to do more testing in ideal conditions. It does seem to reduce the flip, at least it does for me.