New to ft shooting

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by gavin hopps, Sep 12, 2013.

1. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hi i have been shooting for two years now, and have just done the NEFTA HFT league with my .22 i am happy to say i have realy enjoyed it all, from the shooting to the banter.
    I have now bought a .177 to help make the long shots easyer from the flatter pellet line.
    Im going to give the NEFTA winter league FT a go but dont realy no what to expect.
    I do understand you are able to use your scope as mush as you would like.
    Would like advice, rules on FT shooting and any tips are welcome aswell.
    Thanks gav

2. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Some great guys and gals shoot the NEFTA winter league. Basically, once your rifle and scope combo are set up you are allowed to parallax your target for distance and then dial the required clicks on the scopes turret to hit the target. Best get to a NEFTA club for some practice. Neil.

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Gav, best thing to do is to latch onto a decent FT shooter within your club.:) Or pop over to Emley one weekend and we'll run you through all you need to know.

4. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    Thanks for the advise Chrisc i will latch onto wayne and richard. Thank you for the invite to your club for a bit of help. I will pop down if i have chance.
    Thanks gav

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Always welcome:)

6. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Hi Gav - a lot of the shooters you met at the hft shoots will be at the winter leagues as well :)

At your first shoot make sure you mention it to the other people who you shoot round with - they will make sure yo are ok.

Dave.

7. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    There's a problem with that comment;)
    They don't have any decent FT shooters at York:D:D:D:D:p

8. rich

rich Active Member

See, FT is so easy you can learn it all in a weekend...................... :D:D

More seriously, if you've enjoyed it with 22 then it'll be even more fun with a 177. FT has it all, rangefinding, trajectory, windage, breathing, trigger technique, mental attitude. What's really important is that you are challenging the course and your own inadequacies rather than try to beat sh1t out of someone else. Every target is its own challenge.

9. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    Thanks for the help. I like the way you put it rich, dont go out to beat everyone and win. Go to beat the course and beat your self and try and get a better score then last time.

10. rich

rich Active Member

See it this way. Other than indulging in dirty tricks and "gamesmanship", there is nothing you can do to alter anybody else's score, likewise what you score is entirely down to you. There aren't many sports you can say that about; maybe golf is the nearest.

We have only one event that is head to head and that is the Showdown.

The other thing to remember is, when you miss a target, the reason is almost always the same every time. You had the rifle pointing in the wrong direction. :p

11. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    That is so true rich. It is down you the shooter.
    Well i guess i will be doing lots and lots of practice shooting sat down. See how i do then find what im bot gd at and work on that.