New Steyr setup

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by robcawood, May 5, 2015.

1. robcawood

robcawood New Member

Hi All

I have ordered a new Steyr LG110 and it is due to arrive soon. My previous rifle, an MPR, had very little in the way of adjusting the rifle to fit me, so the question is... how do I go about setting up the new Steyr as far as fit goes?

So where to start, but hook, pistol grip, trigger, scope mounting etc. I am guessing if you do things in the wrong order then you end up having to redo bits that you have already adjusted.

Hope this makes sense.

Rob

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Ask Adam Welsh he knows EVERYTHING!

3. simona

simona Active Member

Fit

It takes a bit of time. Try to start off with something fairly neutral and give it a chance to bed in.

A key measurement is the default offset between the base of the stock and the line of sight. This is affected by the height of the scope over the barrel and the position of the fore end. I'm personally not convinced that length of pull is mega important, the distance from the butt plate to the back end of the scope might be far more critical.

If you feel fairly comfortable with what you have, one approach might be to set the Steyr to mimic that as far as is possible and work from that point.

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Pick your main position... probably sitting. Put the clothes you intend to shoot in, on.

Take the cheekpiece and scope off.

Put the gun on knee and butt in shoulder. Adjust for-end and butt till the gun is level and you're not crunched up getting it there. Then get someone to put cheek piece on and raise it to your cheek so it sits on it naturally. Now put the scope to a height where you look through it without moving your head on the cheekpiece. Then slide it back and forth on the rail so the eye relief is correct.

Hand on grip should ideally be a straight line through arm and wrist. Finger should be bent 90 degrees on the cusp of 2nd stage. Trigger should sit naturally under the pad of the finger and come back in line with the barrel.

Balance weight around front support point once gun is setup.

You will probably need to mod quite a bit for that to happen, but you want the gun to fit you and your position as much as possible, not the other way around. And it will take some time.

5. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Take photo's / measurements if you settle on a setting, then decided to change it. Very useful if you want to revert back to how it was.

Mart.

6. robcawood

robcawood New Member

I might except Adam is no longer shooting and is selling all his gear.

7. robcawood

robcawood New Member

Thanks Rob... this is exactly what i was after.

Also thanks to all the other contributors.

Regards

Rob

8. robcawood

robcawood New Member

Lg110 trigger setup

Ok... so after many months of waiting I finally have my new Steyr.

I having even mounted the scope yet but am trying to get the trigger sorted. From out of the box the trigger just seemed like one long first stage with a random break. I can't feel a second stage at all.

So initially I am a bit disappointed as I am not great with setting up a trigger.

Anyway, I have got it to a point of no first stage but a nice crisp break.

Does any one have a guide on how to setup one of these triggers? Steyr have videos on some of the pistols, but nothing on the rifles. Surely there has to be a set procedure when starting from scratch?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as usual.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Is it new? or 2nd hand?

10. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Have you read...

...The Instructions!

Section 4, pretty simple, everything does what it says on the tin.

Mart.

11. robcawood

robcawood New Member

Yep, it is new!

I understand what each of the 3 screws do. However, I can't seem to get it set with a short first stage and a nice crisp break on the second stage release.

If I have any first stage then I can't seem to feel the second stage and all I get is creep until the release.

When watching the video on setting the pistol triggers, they show you how to adjust the trigger when the trigger is set and you turn the various settings until the trigger releases, then back off a half turn, then proceed to the next screw etc. However, there is no such video for the rifles and the triggers look quite a bit different.

It would help to know things like... how to set it from zero, i.e. back everything off and then start with a certain screw until X happens, then go to screw Y and adjust that until Z happens etc.

Surely there has to be a standard approach to setting up one of these triggers from zero like if the trigger was replaced.

Anyways... I have a nice crisp break that is reasonably light, so will have a go with it like this for now... it would be nice to have a bit of first stage though.

Thanks again.

Rob

12. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

The first stage travel is adjusted with the middle grub screw. To get a shorter 1st stage travel adjust the grub screw further in.