New Steyr FT - Super long Barrel & cylinder fitted on Standard FT

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Mar 26, 2011.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    From a Czechoslovakia Forum...

...if it is the new barrel & air cylinder fitted on the standard FT, then the gun looks "odd" ...

:cool:

Attached Files:

2. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    No, it's a standard FT with a long and modified cilinder with QF.
    I have the same QF mounted by a Czech (probably the same one) living in Holland.
    The picture used from the catalogue he "borrowed" from me....
    Regards,
    Rob

3. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Hi Rob,

I meant to say , yes indeed, standard FT, but fitted with

1) a L-O-N-G new barrel, and
    2) new air cylinder (OK, Quick Fill added), but this looks the super L-O-N-G air cylinder as opposed to standard one...

Makes the gun look like an 'ice pick' ...or 'Pinocchio' style ...:D:D:D

4. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    PS: Does that mean the theory of short barrels being as accurate as long barrels goes out of the window ?

ie: Steyr knows something more through its experiments on long barrels being 'better' for accuracy ?...OR, were Steyr forced to simply make the new long barrel for aesthetic reasons, so It would match the length of the new stock frame & new long cylinder :confused: (I reckon its the latter decision of course :D)

However Its actually rather good of Steyr to have made this decision,and It's a stark contrast to Walther, Anschutz, & Fwb, who made the opposite decision in NOT adapting or engineering some minor parts of their current 10m guns for FT /16J use....and would rather just pull out of the FT market all together....

So thumbs up to the Austrians !

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    But then again, steyr aren't that popular in comparison to other makes in the 10m rifle arena...

6. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    My guess is that it is to give more shots and or power in 24J trim. The longer barel (550mm) is more air efficent, coupled with a bigger air capacity wil achieve this. I believe current 24J guns have longer barels.
    The longer reciever is interesting, looks about 100mm to match increase in barel length. It could well be this is for FT/HP models only. It may be used in the 10m versions as well but this is unlikley as about 450mm is pretty much universal fot 10m guns, still giving good air efficency.

The hampster is awfull and the cheek pice is stil not high enough.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -

Here's an update, from my Dutch suppliers:

' The Steyr FT rifle will be available from July 2011. I saw this rifle at the IWA and it's pretty long (550 mm barrel), also the cylinder. The housing is 15 cm longer and it has a double chamber compensator*. Price will be around € 1899,00 '

* Whats that ??

:cool:

8. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    That's the new muzzle break on top of the barrel. It has chambers and channels like the LP10.
    Wonder if it is fitted clamped on the barrel or better, the barrel has 1/2" unf thread (would be nice).
    regards,
    Rob

9. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Interesting, double chamber compensator. The gun should be totaly dead to shoot with one designed for 16J instead of one designed for 7.5J that we have at present on the FT model. The extra fron tend weight should help the balance as a lot of shoters ad weights to the accesory rail. Looks like a promising new gun, a bit pricy though as we usualy end up paying in £sterling the price it is in euros in the rest of europe.