New Forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by ftwizard, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ftwizard

ftwizard New Member

No offence, but do we really need another airgun forum?
    Probably a good exercise for you, if you like that sort of thing, but nobody has posted for a few days, and it's the same old people who have posted anyway.
    Still it's your money, you can do with it what you want. Just an observation.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    probably the best answer will come from the future and it's members... and I think several have posted in the last few days, and we are a little privileged by the fact that we have members here who either don't post elsewhere or who contribute in small amounts. In short, this is a low signal to noise environment.

Unfortunately, the hosting gods have not played well, and the past few days have not been too ticketyboo, but the hosting company have said that the major fix is over and done with and i'm already noticing better response. We all live and learn. But here's some stats... we all love stats don't we...

just in the last fortnight ;

1200 visits from unique addresses

10,000 page views

on average 10 pages viewed by visitor

on average a visitor spends over 5 minutes here

i dunno, I don't think that's too bad considering...

but, i'd like to address the idea that this is soley a forum... it's not, well, it's not supposed to be.

"We" make this what it is, but "I" would like it to be a place that might just be a hub for people to find airgun target shooting and follow whatever trails might lead them to their nirvana. I'd like more from the pistol and 10m gang, and i'm working to try and get that...

I don't know, I just enjoy my pastimes, and think people are missing out by not joining in... "I" think this is a more concentrated opportunity to that 'end game'. We'll see ;)

3. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Just an observation of mine that each forum has its pros and cons and the following are my opinions of the ones I belong to.
    AirgunBBS is a very active site with the activity more in the non-airgun bit than the others, which is purely an observation. Full of members who know a lot and are willing to pass it on.
    AirgunForum has smaller activity and tends to have more information on events etc as well as reference sections for the mor technical matters.
    Shooting the Breeze is the baby of the group, however I like the fact that it has a more shooting bias than the others. For me the calender does make it easier to plan for upcaming events.

No different to most of the other forums to me.

4. ftwizard

ftwizard New Member

I have noticed a more competition biased content, and to me, that's a good thing. Please, whatever you do, don't start-up a Hunting section. :(

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Fora tend to find their own centre of mass, sometimes with a little steering from the moderators, sometimes despite this :) There's room for any number of them. Those that attract members prosper and grow, those that don't wither away and die off. To "compete" against a big forum it's better to find a niche rather than going head to head. I think target airgun shooting inc FT/HFT/10M is as good a niche for an airgun forum as any.

Until there's a critical mass of regular posters there won't be a lot of banter* or atmosphere so there needs to be a hook to attract new members. Also enough fresh information to get existing members to keep popping in from time to time. Original content is the best way to go if you can get the contributors For example kit reviews that get picked up on google searches for that item of kit will get hits link to here. You could consider allowing unregistered browsers to see a precis of the review but make them register to see it all, but that's entirely up to you.

* too much banter of the wrong sort can put off newbies if it makes the forum seem too cliquey and distrustful of newbies. Not talking about any sites in particular :)

Anyway this place seems to be off to a good start so best of luck. I like the name too. I only just got it - breeze = air ---> airguns!

Adam

6. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

i think this forum is refreshing and in a nut shell great, i will be telling my mates down the club to join im sure they will . well done big boss type people .

fegards FUBAR:):):)

7. skipper

skipper New Member

Loving the Forum, and will it recommend to others!

Big well done to Rob who i had the pleasure of shooting the North Oxon HFT course in 2008 with who is a very nice chap indeed ! :)

Ollie

8. Cop Out & Dead Shot

Cop Out & Dead Shot Member

Having first been introduced to the BBS, and now Shooting the Breeze, I must say I prefer this forum. The BBS has too wide an interest base.(and more than its fair share of numpties). Here it is dedicated just to air gunners and like minded people. Just because people don't post daily doesn't make it a waste of time. If people have something to say / post they will post it. Also if they want any info regarding airgunning they know where to look. Keep up the good work guys.

9. finners

finners New Member

Bbs?

I found the BBS overrun with numpties, as well as moderators who had know idea what they were talking about and just liked banning people, I was banned for telling the truth about one of the BBS site sponsors products.:eek: Telling the truth should not get you banned:mad:

This forum has very good content, great people and sensible moderators. Only my personal observation, please don't ban me:D

10. Cop Out & Dead Shot

Cop Out & Dead Shot Member

Freedom of speech has always been open to interpretation and mis-interpretation. IMO whether people want to hear the truth or prefer to sit on the fence and not offend anyone is a personal thing. The danger of telling the truth will almost certainly upset someone and perhaps a public forum might not be the most appropriate place to air those views. If people exercise restraint and think of others, there shouldn't be a need to ban anyone.

11. martin c

martin c New Member

a perfect reason not to have a non-airgun section i think. if the breeze sticks to shooting subjects only:) then there is less chance of falling out imho

12. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

I can upset people just by looking down at them, keep it as it is:D:D:D

13. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

I think the site is ten times better than bbs and is ok as it is.

14. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Do you get splinters sitting on that fence?:D:D:D:D:D