new electric gun???

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Aries, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Aries

Aries New Member

hello any one know about a new air gun that is electronic? i was around a mates house tonite and he was talking on the phone when i turned up about a new electronic gun

i know there is a new silver daystate coming out but he dont work for them. i dont want to say where he works for in case its not right or i shouldnt have heard but dont know if any one does know???

2. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Not be Air Arms then:D

3. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    wouldn't surprise me :D

the daystate way to go about it is very clever but not all that complicated in reality

its just a mechanical valve, solenoid to act as the hammer, a capacitor discharges to power the solenoid, a pressure sensor/chrono are linked to a microprocessor to determine how much to charge the capacitor and a micro switch to act as the trigger

anyone of you could build that circuit in a month tops if you wanted - its not hard

until they ditch the mechanical valve electronics are not that much of an improvement over a mechanical gun

once they ditch the valve though then it will be something special, ATM they are using electronics for is to replace a hammer spring and trigger sears :D.

just my opinion of course ;)

4. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    There will always be a mechanical element if we use air (a fluid) as a motive force. However if we use purely use electricity (i.e wrap a coil round the barrel so that it becomes a big solenoid valve, the barrel being the stator, the pellet the bobbin in effect) now that could be fun!

Will

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Do you mean electric or electronic? Big difference.

There was a rifle in the local shop that cocked itself by powered electrics, I kid you not. I never found out how many batteries it took and chewed through though... apparently it wasn't the quietest thing for hunting either :rolleyes: A chap down the club bought one, we all looked at him a bit funny, but he reckoned it would be collectable. :eek:

6. Cones

Cones Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    It might need a rather large battery! :D (High Voltage supply, Capacitor Storage, Conductive Projectiles and a team to service it after each shot) :D:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

Mark

7. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    A case of a solution looking for a problem? Bit like them Black and Decker electric adjustable spanners! :D

8. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    And imagine the unpleasentness at the chrono station or when the targets are literally rattled to bits, no problems with wind or pellet drop though! :D

was thinking more along http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun lines though! :D

9. Cones

Cones Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
  10. rick

rick New Member

You could fit a handle to it like they have on wind up radios. 1 minute of winding gives 10 shots.:D

11. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
  12. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Oh be still my beating heart! :D

13. Ste Hughes

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    to clear what i said up abit

i mean they make a valve that is controlled by electronics.

ATM all daystate are controlling something that hits a valve

they could do it with a stepper motor as the only moving part ;)

14. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

That'd be the Browning Airstar. It had a large rechargable battery pack that clipped underneath the forend and it did indeed sound like a bag of nails being stirred when it was cocking which took about 10seconds per shot. from what i remember it had an on/off switch in the pistol grip and the button to cock it was in the trigger guard. It also had the same style breech as the old Webley Eclipse did, a nice idea but horribly inefficent.

15. richardio123

richardio123 Member

That's a shame, I really like the thought of the new FT rigs with built in Van de Graaff generators crackling away with ever ones hair on end before a massive thunder clap and electric bolt turns the fall down target into red hot bent metal.....then starts the 'was it a split de brief!!!!! Right back to reality.....WORK. :eek:

r

16. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    there is just something wrong about electronics, I will remain boudtfull until well and truly SORTED. 3 Devistate Mk3's went down in the rain at Germany in the WFTF championships in 2004, has there been much of a real development since in terms of relaibility? batteries, circuit boards etc

17. Ste Hughes

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    not heard of a mk4 going down in the rain

but in our region we have 4 GP's, 3 have been back

one of which has been at daystate for the past 4 months being fixed

18. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

I see this thread has gone from any one know about a new gun to lets slate DAYSTATE

BORING GET A LIFE:(

19. Ste Hughes

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    ok well lets pretend there perfect then.

sorry if i have upset anyone :eek:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  20. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Just to get back on track.......I'm going to have a rant, and it is nothing to do with having a go at any one company, just a good old moan.

I get up in the morning and find that my toothbrush needs recharging, and my shaver (well every other morning at least:eek:). My mobile will probably have died and I can't even open my car without something containing a battery. A little music to calm the nerves, no, forgot to charge my mp3........You can see where this is going.....

When it comes to my hobby I like to pick up my rifle safe in the knowledge that it contains no batteries, of course I might still have forgotten to charge it:D

James

Come on Aries, give us something;)