New Big Nikko's in stock

Discussion in 'Useful Links' started by Steve Hebby, May 22, 2013.

1. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
  2. dutoitk

dutoitk Member

Wonder if they have managed to sort out the quality issues they had for the last 2-3 years.
    Our dealers stopped bringing them in because of the problems.

3. j.waterfield

j.waterfield Member

Club:
    Harriers and Old Pheasant Pen Wood Field Target
    Niko

Anybody out there willing to risk £500 (or so) to find out for the rest of us ?

(a bit tongue in cheek)

Hopefully the problems have been solved

John W

4. bow

bow Active Member

BIG Nikko

Bow here, just bought one from redbecks. ill let you know how it goes.

5. j.waterfield

j.waterfield Member

Club:
    Niko

Hi Bow

I believe that Niko did changed their optics (lens) supplier and that is assumed to have caused the many issues they had with the mk3 version. It is rumoured that they have changed suppliers again (hopefully back to the first supplier) and that the parallax problems have been solved with this new batch.

I am a Niko man and have a mk1 & a mk2, lets hope the new batch performs as they should do

John Waterfield

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    £500

£500 ? says £ 775 on the add . they were £699 last time any new stock was in ??? HOLLY:eek:

7. peter b

peter b Member

Club:
    BYLEY
    nikko mk 3

o.k.guys what were the problems that some of these scopes were supposed to have had.
    regards pete

8. dutoitk

dutoitk Member

We had a number of issues with the mk3's.

The first batches we got were not bad, but later it got out of hand.

Varying quality of the glass. Some were Ok and others were like looking threw a lens smeared with grease. Anything over 30x was a waste of time.
    Side wheel binding in spots and not smooth.
    Side wheel turning in circles and unable to adjust parallax. This was very common.
    Loose screws.
    I personally had an issue with one scope where the crosshair would visually move on the target as clouds moved past the sun. This was with the scope fixed in a jig and just watching the crosshair on the target.
    The scope was replaced under warranty and the new unit tested fine.

If I recall more than half of one consignment was sent back as faulty.
    The local agent just stopped bringing them in after that.

I heard a rumor that there were going to be some changes made in the production process with regards to quality control, but have not seen any new scopes for the past 1 to 2 years.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  9. j.waterfield

j.waterfield Member

Club:
    Nikko

Yes Kevin is correct (above)

The first Mk3's that came in were good but then the problems started to show on the later batches.

There is another issue that Kevin didn't mention and that is that it was almost impossible to correctly and consistantly parralax above 45 yards (ish) as the gaps between 45, 50 and 55 were so small and difficault to determine, even when using a custom made tear drop wheel.

I believe that the design also changed, the position of the ckick adjustment turrets has been moved closer to the parralaxing shaft (that rotates as the wheel is moved to focus). There must have been a good reason for this to have been modified, but hey who am I to know !

I hope that the new Mk3's are now good, and they operate as well as the Mk1 & Mk2 versions

John Waterfield

10. dutoitk

dutoitk Member

Found the same with regards the gaps between 45-55 yards.
    Noticed this change together with the different turret mechanism. We began referring to the new batch as a Mk3 ver2.

What I found frustrating was the huge difference in ranging and glass from one scope to another. My son has a replacement Mk3 ver2 unit that came straight from the factory when his scope developed the wandering crosshair. This replacement scope is brilliant. It has good glass and although close, the ranging above 45 yards is excellent. It snaps in and out of focus on a knife's edge.
    It shows the scope design is not flawed, but rather the ability of Nikko to maintain consistency in production and good quality control.

Still think that when you find a good one it is the most consistent ranging scope for the money. Problem is finding the right one.

11. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I have been told by Highland Outdoors who import these scopes the following,

"The quality of the Diamond Sportsman Series should be 100%. We have been
    awaiting a long time for these and this has been due to factory production
    and not due to any quality issues.

We have had our stock of backorders of these go out, and
    we now have a full time "Scope and Optical Engineer" Employed at Nikko
    Stirling who ensures that every shipment coming in reaches the strict
    criteria placed on these scopes."

12. dutoitk

dutoitk Member

Hi Conor

Heard the same news about the engineer at the factory. This will hopefully bring some confidence back in the brand.

13. bow

bow Active Member

Ive been reading about problems that the nikkos been having, I purchased a second hand about a year ago. I thought my eyes were getting bad just couldn't judge long distances correctly. I now know why. my new nikko, up to now preforms brilliantly no problems at all, well one, Iam starting to hit targets

14. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    We've been hung out to dry on the big Nikkos here in the USA. As far as I know they are not currently imported or stocked by any retailer. As a result your lifetime warranty is worthless. I hope Nikko reaches out to its former importer/dealers and tries to mend fences. I think there were so many returns with the Mk3's which caused poor sales that they just stopped importing them. Then when guys would send in there Mk3 for repair or service they'd replace it with a 10-50 Nighteater!! Not exactly a fair trade.

15. JTK

JTK New Member

they tried the nighteater replacement route here in SA as well. did not go down at all :D

16. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    How was it ultimately resolved? Did Nikko take care of it or did the importer/dealer have to step in? My concern here is that we don't even have a real importer/dealer to help on our behalf. That's why most of the guys shooting FT in the USA are going with the Sightron 10-50x60.

17. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

Must say had a go with one of the new diamond mags at emley ftc on wednesday, The guy had just bought it from blackpool air rifles £699 he told me.
    Sidewheel was smooth no backlash at either end nor binding in anyway.
    Turrets nice and positive, zoom ring effortless too.

Optics :

I only had ten mins with it but on the fifty yard plate is was repeatable and in and out like my mk1 big nikko.
    Also as clear as any iv'e looked through & iv'e looked through dozens of big nikkos.

If i was in the market for a new diamond mag i'd be happy with the one i looked at.
    Even still for the money you just can't beat em.

cheers

mark

18. Spoelie

Spoelie Pellet Head !

Club:
    Springfield
    Big nikko

Any more info regarding performance of 2013 big nikko models?