BFTA New BFTA Grading %

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Ray Rudd, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    It was proposed, voted on and carried at the BFTA AGM in November. Although it doesnt seem to have gone to plan as the wording stated in the Minutes.

"D) Change to grading boundaries and when grades are published – Simon Evans Carried. This will mean that the grade boundaries thresholds will be decided by the Grading Officer in advance of the summer release. The grading officer will adjust the boundary thresholds so that the grades AA-C of active shooters offer competitive group sizes for the coming summer season. Grades for the summer season will not be published until 18th March 2018 at the earliest."

2. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Given my history ,I dare not comment on this subject.;)
    I must add though, that its the most interesting Group size thread I've read and can't wait to see what lump of crap comes out of the tombola barrel next.:D:D

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I don’t see what the problem is, if you think it’s unfair that you’ve bust a gut all winter and you’ve narrowly missed a higher grade you can always elect to shoot a higher grade.
    Same as you’ve just dropped a grade, you can elect to stay in the higher grade.

Grades mean nothing and I’m personally not a fan.

4. Bobby B

Bobby B Member

I am with you on this one Neil am and pm should be graded for GP series then all would be shooting on a level playing field what ever session you pick.

Welsh Wizard and swiftysue like this.
  5. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Shh Bobby we don't want everyone shooting AM sessions like were all told if we don't like it, hevans forbid we'd have six to a lane:rolleyes:

6. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Maybe each section of the course should be graded. If you start in the sheltered woods part of the course and then you end up in the field part of the course 3 hours latet when the wind has got up.. Each lane should be gradede for am and pm. Its the future

killen likes this.
  7. nemesis

No Dave the future of the sport lies in us ALL shooting on a level playing field. It should be that ALL grades shoot the same sessions like the world''s AND Euros. Tell me what other sport has its competitors competing against their rivals in different conditions.

daviesgadget likes this.
  8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Skiing, rallying, biathlon and golf to name a few sports where people don’t compete on a course at the same time.

We can do one session though.

We just need a solution to determine who is in the 50% of shooters that don’t shoot. Or how we handle 8 hour long shoots with 6 people per lane.

Then it’s sorted.

Yoeri_B and RAMBO like this.
  9. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    One of the problems ( and there are many! ) is that we don't compel shooters to elect a higher grade.

So.. if for example you have a former World Champion, BFTA GP Series winner and someone who was only beaten by Jack Harris in this years World Championships being graded as 'A' - then something is clearly wrong.

I'm sure John Costello would do the decent thing and elect AA, but many shooters don't do the decent thing when they are put in a lower grade than they should be in and they spoil that grade for everyone else in it.

10. nemesis

Skiing, Rallying, Biathlon elect their top performers out on the course at the same time. Forkarde, landertinger etc don' go out with the lower rank on a track all rutted up.

11. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

Hi Brian,
    we could "compel" shooters to shoot in a higher grade by adjusting the grading criteria so that there are more shooters in A and AA - how about that for an idea !!!

I thought that having gradres were to correspond to your shooting ability, so how does electing to shoot in a higher grade even get allowed??

12. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    So what's the use of grades bri if john is graded as A grade as well of a few others in our region to elect to go up to AA can't see the point of grades it should have been left alone in my honest opinion if it ain't broke springs to mind.

killen, Lo33a, NeilM and 3 others like this.
  13. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    I couldn't agree with you more.

killen, NeilM and Ray Rudd like this.
  14. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    We don't have grades in gentlemans Piston category Rob - If people want to shoot those horrible PCP's, that's their choice :D

Adam, Welsh Wizard, biwain and 4 others like this.
  15. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    No they don't. On slalom the fastest go down last on a rutted track. In golf the leaders are the last on. Rallying anything goes. Bialthon also doesn't run at the same time, it depends on the event and can depend on the placement from the event before, as per the recent olympics when Fourcade had a 30 second deficit in the start due to the previous days misses. In ski jumping it changes and they even change the jump start point mid competition.

So anyway, if you don't like it, what's the solution, remove 50% or double the event length or?

16. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    For me personally it should have been put to the vote of every bfta card carrying member not regional reps when it affects so many people the first thing I heard about changing of grade boundaries was when it was posted on here the other day just a thought. everyday rule changes can still be done by the reps haven't a problem with that. After all when we in nefta voted to keep 30 shots in winter league instead of 40 everybody was asked there opinions.

RAMBO, johnunleashed, Lo33a and 2 others like this.
  17. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    It is now in B grade gonna be a whole lot harder to win anything , that is for sure . cos it will be flooded with A graders being dumped in there . which means a true B grader does not stand a chance . ??? HOLLY

PS Ban all spring guns :eek: and lock up there owners . it is the only way . Stamp Out The Twang Brothers . :)

18. Steviek

Steviek Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    I agree with this Shaun for what its worth. I was looking to go into A grade this time around - but this change has knackered any chance of that happening. Things like this should be voted on by the rank and file members of all clubs nationally as it really can have a negative effect on people striving to better themselves in my opinion.

killen, Dan Smith, Lo33a and 4 others like this.
  19. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Same here. It's a ridiculous situation. Why change ????

killen, Brian.Samson and Ray Rudd like this.
  20. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    I've suggested this too, I played golf for years so know it could work.

James and Dan Smith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.