New airgun break in period

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Jose Colon-Torres, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:08 PM.

1. Jose Colon-Torres

Jose Colon-Torres New Member

Club:
    AFTAC
    Hello. Is there a break in period for a new air rifle? Is it true that a new barrel needs at least 500 pellets shot thru before it groups well?? Are the manufacturers sample target cards believable?Any opinions? Thanks.
    Cheers from Puerto Rico...

2. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

When you get a new rifle you should clean your barrel the manufacturer will put some kind of preservative in it so give Barr a good pull through until pull through is clean.

Testing cards hmmm I have had my suspicions about these but you have to remember the action is probably clamp in a vice in the factory and probably manufacture with be shooting a good die of that pellet if Jsb.
    On the test card question there are more knowledgeable poeple on here than me.

With a decent die generally pellets don't need that much to lead in barrel wise.
    But all barrels are slightly different in there behaviour some liked to clean some you can leave a while
    The steyrs I have owned and others have performed best with a clean barrel.
    Welcome to the joys of air guns

3. ronnie

ronnie RONNIE

Club:
    BEDLAY
    Had a problem with a steyr barrel, sent it back to Austria for them to check
    Result was there was a bend INSIDE the barrel from production, it would not hit the barn door at 30 yds. I asked how replacement barrel would be any better and they replied that they test guns and barrels in a vacuum chamber with JSB to eliminate any outside forces.. they sent me a competition hand sorted barrel.
    mind you Im not sure about the last bit,they possibly said that to shut me up but at least I got a new barrel, and then had to get at least a 1000 shots through it..

4. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

As for the test cards, HW always sent a test card with their spring guns. A friend of mine was a dealer for Beeman, here in the U.S., and he said that he had seen a few .22 guns with .177 cards as well as the other way round.:D

madplinker, blacklab and hmangphilly like this.
  5. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    So, if you had a Steyr barrel with a bend internally that would not group, Presumably it was tested at the factory and came with an acceptable test card?
    So the Question has to be asked why was it not picked up during testing and how did it produce a decent test card:rolleyes:

6. ronnie

ronnie RONNIE

Club:
    BEDLAY
    Not being an expert I had to accept what they said. but if barrel was up to standard they would not have changed it, oh and I did mark barrel before it went to them. as for card how does any new gun owner prove the card sent to them is true. we can only assume.

7. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

I have wandered if test cards are truthful to your particular rifle. Do steyr check every single barrel that leaves the factory at 50 metres maybe I don't know.
    Sometimes I think they test one barrel out of a batch of barrels that are made with a good batch of jsbs clamped in a vice in a indoor tunnel.
    I could be wrong on all counts would be nice to know the answer though.

8. ronnie

ronnie RONNIE

Club:
    BEDLAY
    We can only take their word on cards, but checking one barrel out of a batch sounds feasible. my own problem was found by THEM, the report back to me about internal of barrel was something that VERY few people would be able to spot without right equipment, as the internals of gun had already been checked over by steyr uk i.e. the mechanical parts which were working ok.. also when new barrel was fitted all was well and have had no more issues.

9. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    We all assume the test card we get with our new rifle was shot with that gun otherwise the card has no value, so the fact that you received a rifle with a confirmed bad barrel suggests not all barrels are tested, but I bet the replacement they sent you was:)

MickyFinn and Ash Bailey like this.