New act now law...

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RobF, Apr 13, 2010.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2010/pdf/ukpga_20100017_en.pdf

2. Photoguy2910

Photoguy2910 Member

My head hurt trying to read (and make sense) of that... why not just change it all too... you can have anything you want, just don't shoot anyone... much easier.

3. punydan

punydan Monkey Juice

I'd best lock my kids in the gun cabinet then.

4. RobF

Club:
    Basically, unless they're allowed to by the current law, letting your guns fall into the hands of an 18 year old is against the law.

So not taking reasonable precautions in the event they are found with a gun that's yours ends you in trouble.

5. rich

rich Active Member

I think it reads even worse than you may surmise. It doesn't actually require the juvenile to have accessed or taken one of your guns; it appears that you commit the offence by not preventing them from having access.

OK it's harder to prove they have access when they haven't used that access.

In practice they all have to be locked away.

6. RobF

Club:
    You could be right though Rich. I can see someone perhaps being visited, perhaps to investigate misuse by a suspected minor, and an airgun leaning up by the back door in a house with under 18's could be enough perhaps...

Not that it bothers me, I have no under 18's in my place, and so they're locked up by virtue of them being in a locked house, and everyone I know who has under 18's and air rifles has them locked away anyway.

7. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

So hypathetically speaking if I leant an under 18 year old an air rifle to use in competition/practice am I falling foul of this? What implications does this have for those of us who shoot with under 18's on a regular basis? Not that I'm overly worried as the minors I regularly shoot with are very responsible, but I always let juniors shoot my gear.

I can't get my head around it at the minute as the first part of my root canal is bloody annoying me!

Ryan

8. punydan

punydan Monkey Juice

You should be fine as long as the minor is supervised.It's just another poorly worded/ thought out law to protect the stupid. I should imagine it will never be implimented until some tragic incident where some tit has allowed his kids free access to his smk and one shoots the other.

9. RobF

Club:
    If the shooter is supervised there's no problem as long as whoever is supervising is over 21.

There's also no problem if the person is over 14, unsupervised and on private land where the shooter has explicit permission to be shooting. Under 14 the shooter has to be supervised by someone over 21. Inside a club you have no explicit permission, so you need to be supervised if under 18.

Essentially for you Ryan, nothing changes, because according to the law now, the shooter should be supervised if they're under 18. On a course I would suggest that's one on one supervision, on a tradtional range I could suggest that an RO on the line could be adequate, but i'm not qualified to give legal advice.

If you are working with minors or vulnerable adults on a regular basis as a part of your club's activities you should be aware of the guidance around doing so, and the policies your insurance company may require (such as the NSRA) to be insured.

The aim of the legislation is to disuade people from leaving airguns laying around without precaution where they may fall into the hands of minors.

10. rich

rich Active Member

The fact that you don't have under 18s in your house is not going to be a defence, though. You could have under 18s visiting as family members or as an event, a birthday party etc, and they could have access.

I still think this is a backdoor demand for locked cabinets universally.

11. RobF

Club:
    Very true Rich, but then they'd be in a locked room then :)