New AA prototype...

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Aug 6, 2019.

1. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

That looks very different to the steyr 10m pistol that I owned, progress eh :D

2. what barn door

Can anyone post a picture of this new AA rifle? I don't do farce book or twatter or anything like that.

3. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Thats an ugly duckling and he's put the Anschutz but pad, upside down, or is that for when he's on his back. :D

4. Emma

Emma Active Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    cloverleaf and john79 like this.
  5. john79

john79 JEDI

Thanks Emma :)

Emma likes this.
  6. what barn door

Emma thanks for that, looking good.

Emma likes this.
  7. SteveC200

SteveC200 Well-Known Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Here you go.

Attached Files:

cloverleaf, john79 and Emma like this.
  8. john79

john79 JEDI

Cheers mate, interesting do you know if the air gauge on the side of the action is for reg pressure or cylinder pressure?

9. what barn door

Thanks Steve, great photos, gun looks very nice.

10. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    West Devon ftc
    Cylinder

EV2UK and john79 like this.
  11. hw100kt

hw100kt Member

Club:
    Buckley Wood agc
    Looks like a nice piece of kit

12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Indeed; although to be fair Air Arms have done extremely well at holding up the British end in the FT world; granted it's dominated by Steyr, however the 2nd most popular brand of kit in the worlds last year was apparently AA - not a terrible achievement considering all the other mainstream "British" manufacturers don't even produce guns for this market.

I agree about the mags though and hope that AA manage to raise their game as the FTP was really just a worse, heavier EV2 IMO and as great as the EV is, the whole platform needs radical reform.

Yeah, late and probably no proper-LH action version; despite all the promises in the early days of the FTP :(

Given AA's excellent history for triggers I think there's zero chance of them returning to a pseudo-two-stage trigger.. despite Steyr apparently (disappointingly) still running this format in all their guns.

The stabiliser could be interesting and suggests a fairly heavy revision to the FTP design. I don't really see any advantage in through-probe air delivery as it potentially just increases lost port volume and reduces port size (AA have always loved small ports for some puzzling reason) unless of course there's no probe at all and they go with a Steyr-like system where there's no integral seating mech in the bolt.

Nice on - ta ;)

So, from these pics we can see that while there are similarities, this model looks pretty different to the FTP.

The stock looks a lot better thought out; slimmer (and hopefully lighter) with a really nice looking / well integrated palm rest and even more complex butt-hook assy. I don't like the look of the needlessly wibbly upper surface, but on the whole it looks like a significant improvement in the FTP.

On account of the palm rest the action houses a single relocated gauge (a post-reg gauge might have been nice too). Hard to tell but the geometry of the trigger setup looks similar to the FTP, but with perhaps better materials (no more plastic) - I don't see much of a need to revise the triggers from the perspective of feel and use, although I don't appreciate their propensity towards wearing out through use.

The headliner IMO is that (praise the lord!) AA appear to have finally grasped the concept that their barrels are better off floated! Thankfully the bloody awful barrel shroud (and of course support) from the FTP are gone and the cylinder appears to be floating too. I am a bit concerned by the obvious lack of external reg (please, nothing cheap and aftermarket-tastic hidden inside the cylinder!). Hopefully AA have also learnt about the drawbacks of pointlessly, woefully over-tightening the air cylinders and draconian AT (although I won't hold my breath). Can we finally please have a proper LH version too..?

So yeah, looks promising so far - certainly superior to the FTP which I think many would agree was a backwards step compared to the EV2.

PA410goodshot likes this.
  13. Dale

Dale Active Member

To my eye there appears to be a screw in reg assembly between the cylinder and action block, albeit in a matching colour and perhaps less obvious to spot at a glance.

14. SteveC200

SteveC200 Well-Known Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    I asked them at the Worlds about AT, it'll still be on the new gun. I even asked if they could be sold without if a disclaimer was signed.... nope.

Apparently the trigger and reg are both new in-house designs. In fact the whole gun is new so its not another rehashed PT/EV/FTP.

The hamster mech was a bit flimsy when dropped down but I'm sure that'll be sorted as its too much of an obvious point of complaint.

Lofty, Emma and nat like this.
  15. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Just to set a few misconceptions straight, the transfer port IS in the barrel as it has been previously, the hollow pellet probe is to allow air to pass rear ward to activate the stabilizer, apart from the charging connector Everything is brand new including the now thicker barrel with a new rifling process which has been commissioned from lothar walther.

16. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Now that IS interesting. Are AA going the Thomas route, with 12 land polygonal barrels I wonder, or the RAW route with match grade (whatever that means) stainless.

I'm not holding my breath yet, I fancy we still have quite a wait. I remember the Pre-prod EV was out and about a full 12 months before the production models turned up.

17. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Its not stainless.

18. EV2UK

EV2UK Active Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    I have a stash of cash indoors which was probably going to be exchanged for an LG400....
    Now I think I want one of these... What shall I do.

19. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Buy the LG 400. Then sell it to me cheap if you want the AA MMXX

gdavison and EV2UK like this.
  20. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Damn! I wish I'd thought of that.....