New 20-50 VXIII: where from?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by JerryD, Dec 16, 2012.

1. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Looking at treating myself to a Leupy for FT, but can't get on with ultra-high mag for standers. Also, I'm looking for a reticle with a bit more definition than the plain target cross.

Is it possible to get a side focus 20-50 VXIII new? If so, where from? Can it be obtained with a mil-dot ret?

2. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    It's not possible. Premier reticles are who you want but they stopped doing them about 3/4 years ago.

3. fredyninefingers

fredyninefingers Non member

Leups 20-50

Mate of trevryan on here has a nice 20-50 he wants to sell,contact him ,atb fred

4. daviesgadget

daviesgadget Member

Club:
    tondu--oaktree
    leup

hi JerryD, this may not be what your after but i have an [as new]-----leupold vari-x111 6.5-20x50 side focus with fine duplex ret, all boxed with certs etc, also bkl mounts included..make me a reasonable offer if your interested... cheers Paul

5. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Thanks, but I'm really looking for something around 40x min, with good clear glass, reliable rangefinding, zoom to lower mag for standers, and doesn't weigh a huge amount. I have a front focus 18-40EFR but it's a bit too vague on the ranging to go on my main FT rig. I'll stick with the Elite 4200 until the right scope turns up.

6. Neale M

Neale M Member

Club:
    Far Coley Ftc
    Jerry you have the right scope ;) Elite 4200 the next thing to get is a mill-dot fitted :)

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It may not be in the budget, but the March 10-60 fit's all those bills. Worth considering. It snaps like no other scope i've used, it weighs the same as a leup comp, it's warrantied for life, doesn't need a 50ft, you have a choice of rets like Conor's FT ret, and has the variable mag. Apart from a minor but completely workable temp shift, i'd say it's perfect. Just that perfection comes at a hefty price.

8. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Already had it done Neale. There's nothing wrong with the scope: it's just that I'm finding that I judge the point of focus differently between dull and bright conditons. I'm looking for something that helps with the onset of knackered eyesight.

I love my Elite 4200, but it could do with a tad more mag to be perfick.

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Just

Just gotta sell you left leg to get one ??? HOLLY:):D:eek:

10. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    They are good but don't worth the price mine and others that I know change POI with zoom and that is unacceptable.

11. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Re the 20-50

Hi Jerry, its a simple equation. You just have to look at what Ian Taylor and Jcos have done ,and are still doing with this scope . Compare the price of them against anything on the market . They are the best value top flight scope available by country mile.
    Regards G.

12. Steve

Steve Member

Not to sure a 20/50 will help re.the eyesight you mention,there not the easiest scope to use in the first place and I know I'm beginning to struggle with mine with eye fatigue about half way round.Ive just swapped my spare Gen2 ret 20/50 onto my gun to see if it helps because it seems a bit more snappy than the other.

13. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Does the March range find as well on x35 as say x 60 or 50 Rob?

14. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Mine, which is it's daddy, the MarchX, rangefinds from x30-x80 to the same reference point on the wheel, but with the sheer clarity of the optics, you need to pick a specific detail to focus on, on 80 its either 55.5yrds or not, whilst at x30 its a tad slower but if needed you can/could use it, but not the same snap due to clarity in optics.

15. RobF

Club:
    Dunno... never needed to drop it down to do that... i don't think i've ever had to drop the mag to rangefind due to light, despite a young shooter alongside me struggling with his 20-50 at the same time in the evening's light in Euskadi ;)

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    A Good one .

If you try to use a 20 +50 on 50 mag , then yes you will find times when it will struggle .BUT why would you want to use it on 50 mag , when it works very well on 35 mag out to 55 yards . having said that i sold my old 20+50 and bought a 35 mag comp X . a very easy scope to use indeed , as long as you use a three inch sidewheel and a high scope mount . ( IE three and a half inches above the line of sight ) the scope is not a snapper , coming in slowly . but with the combination of small sidewheel and high mounts if it comes in between 50 and 55 , just dial up 52 and shoot . you do NOT need to know the distance to the yard .the 20+50 is a very good scope BUT it takes time to learn . the Comp X you will get the hang of much quicker and it is cheaper at between £650 to £750 secondhand ??? HOLLY:):D

17. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Don't dangle March's in front of me Conor!: I've been looking at one - the 10-60x 52 - which I can afford, but I'd never afford the ensuing divorce:eek::( Besides which, it doesn't come with your FT ret as standard (although the 2.5-25 and the 5-32 do, for some reason??)

I can get away (just:eek:) with around a grand - hence the 20-50 Leupy. And after spending all that money no scope, no matter how precise at ranging, will tell me how much offset to give the shot for wind.

18. RobF

Club:
    You can always have the ret fitted when ordered... they'll even retro grade it (i think)... i'm mulling it over but I suspect it will have to wait till after winter league.

If you can wait till next season or chance me doing an MFTA winter league shoot, I''m more than happy to let you look through mine for a while. Alternatively we have Wendover on the 20th, you'd be most welcome.

And no, i'm not on a %... ;) I just think that if you're dropping close to 4 figures, dropping more may be worth considering, because you'd probably only do it once...

19. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    That a hint Matt??;)

20. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Just a bloody shame they cannot sort out their production methods to make them at a reasonable price...