NEFTA Hunter rules question

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by paul4be, Apr 1, 2013.

1. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Just looking through the rules for the summer Hunter shoots, which now include the sillys.
    Anyway, sillys rules say that they must be shot with the same rifle and scope as the HFT course. Also says that butt hooks can be used.

So, does that mean that butt hooks can be used on the HFT course as well?

Cheers, Paul

2. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I have seen them used before in NEFTA - probably only the people kneeling / standing but not 100% sure.

Not sure how useful one would be for prone if you can't alter it after the first shot???

Dave.

3. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    I only shoot them kneeling /standing Dave, so could do with a definate answer. I've seen an odd one in the past, but wasn't sure if it was actually ok, or somebody taking the p*ss :D:D

4. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Someone from NEFTA will be along at some point to answer your question :)

I am sure it was setup to allow people with any kit to turn up and have a go. So you could use an FT gun with the scope set low and the hook on. You may not hit much but its better than stopping in bed ;)

I know that originally windicators and bubble levels had to be removed or covered up. But that isn't stated in the rules either???

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  5. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Yep, wouldn't mind a definate answer. Also, re-reading your 1st comment, can't alter the gun itself once 1st shot taken?? I know that's the case with the scope, is it also in there about the rifle itself?

Going to have another read through what's on the NEFTA site.

6. TREV RYN

TREV RYN Well-Known Member

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    yes you can use butt hooks in the nefta hunter series,;);) bring it on:)

7. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Cheers Trev,
    What about altering a hook/ butt pad part way round the course? Can't see Hunter rules in detail on the site, so don't want to fall foul of Don Ryan and the NEFTA Mafia :D:D:D

8. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I think the rules have been reduced over the years - not sure it even mentions not altering the scope although that is kind of the main rule of HFT

9. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    LOL, I know what you mean Dave. However, how can a rule that isn't in the rules be the main rule???????? :D

10. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    There should only be 3 rules:
    Be safe, have fun and plenty of banter

11. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    LOL, would work for me mate :shot::shot:

12. johnharper

johnharper Member

Club:
    YORK FTC
    paul that be safe dave was on about did not work for you whilst you were tempting to fix an old spring riffle
    so this time PLEASE BE SAFE IN YOUR WORK
    john

13. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I have just checked through the rules again, and it does seem to have been relaxed a lot.

But it seems odd that it does not specifically mention scope mag/parallax changes now. I presume that this is just the same as it always has been? Or is it?:confused: Maybe I am getting confused as the rules did originally I think base themselves on the UKAHFT rules, which did specify this ruling, but then they eased off slightly for different reasons. Fine by me.
    Maybe it was those(UKAHFT) that stated the no scope change rules, and we have just accepted that.

I personally don't mind about butt hooks and spirit levels, but the only mention in the 2013 rules of scope changes is the bit mentioned in the sillys, as has already been mentioned.:confused:
    I don't suppose that it matters that the rules are not written in detail, as long as the NEFTA committee have the final the decision, and we know what they are between ourselves.

Hope this makes sense.

Dean.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I'd have said that making adjustments to your gun or scope once you've started shooting isn't in keeping with the spirit of HFT personally.

The NEFTA Hunter isn't big on documenting rules to the nth degree - preferring to trust shooters to enter into the spirit of things.

15. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    Simply put if you don't think you should do it don't.;) Just enjoy the day and the burger's (thats what most go for)LOL:D:D

16. GTC

GTC Member

i would agree with brian no adjustments to gun or scope otherwise its gona turn into FT with a peg, perhaps the powers that be at nefta should be writing the rules in stone perhaps based on current ukhft rules regarding this:)

17. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I think there's two schools of thought regarding writing comprehensive rules.

Myself and Dave Semmens introduced the NEFTA Hunter series back in 2006 and when we did we decided that the whole ethos of the event is that we wanted to put the fun back into HFT.

So the idea was - a simple set of rules, that might not be comprehensive in their wording but would be policed by the shooters themselves to make sure things are fair.

The way that works is - you can turn up to an event and try to get away with bending the simple rules if you like, but if your peers think you're taking the piss they'll let you know and probably heckle you so much you'll end up losing any advantage you would have gained in the first place.

If something really does become a problem, the chief marshal on the day might pop over to either ask you not to do something that's a bit suspect, and/or join in the merciless heckling :)

Either way - you won't do it again and everyone's happy :D

The end result is - a simple set of rules, everything is self policed - cheat if you like, but remember - you're only cheating yourself and we reserve the right to laugh at you and take the piss out of you.

18. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    My thinking on this is:
    If the guys (Brian & Dave) who introduced the NEFTA Hunter Series are happy with the way it is run and that there are sufficient rules already then we keep it as is. End of;)

19. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Brian,
    I think the notion of a more relaxed set of rules is great and makes it much easier for people to have a go for the 1st time and just use whatever they have including an FT rig.
    Surely though even the "relaxed" rules need to be written down for people to read through?
    It makes it difficult for those trying to find their feet when the rules rely on everyone "just knowing them". Things like use of butt hooks, any hamster depth requirements, what can and can't be adjusted during a shoot etc would be handy so that buudy marshalling can be even handed for all.

As you know I'm sure, there will also be some very competitive people who want to win, and will stretch rules as far as possible for any advantgae they may be able to get. Just saying that something is not in the spirit of HFT will not stop some if they think they can get away with something. Also, as for cheating, if there are no rules to outline what is acceptable, how can something be "cheating" in the first place?

I am not for one minute suggesting that an extensive set of rules is needed, I think that you and Dave got it spot on, but surely it may be worth at least having the bare bones in writing in terms of what can be used, adjusted etc?

I love the fact that the Hunter series is not as prescriptive as some, long may that continue.
    Not trying to be a pain Brian, hope you understand. :eek:

20. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Not suggesting otherwise, just have a set of the existing rules that people can be pointed to is all. As I said, I think the guys got it spot on, but not everyone "just knows" the rules.