Need some help designing a ret...

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Anon, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Anon

Anon Non member

Right, don't know how to do this so hence asking on here.

I am trying to design a ret that I want for one of my scopes - I basicly want it to be very similar to the one I had in my Leup MKIV, one dot up and below centre cross and three left and right. The centre four dots bracketted a 55 yard target, then the dots on each horizontal allowed me to bracket a 50 yard kill and a 45 yard kill.

Now the guy who is doing this ret has asked me to draw it him, in fact his email says "for the reticle, I need the drawing of the dots IN MOA" so can someone help me out with this, as I aint got a clue.

regards,

Matt

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Could probably do it, but might not have time until i come back from hols after euskadi...

3. Anon

Anon Non member

No rush for it Rob.

What I am looking for is reasonable size dots but with spacing as above, scope is fixed mag 36*.

regards,

Matt

4. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
  5. RobF

Club:
    Ok, no probs... nudge me after euskadi.

6. DazF

DazF Active Member

Club:
    Buckley Wood FTC and Oaktree FTC
    Has this got a weaver connection by chance Matt??

Would be very interested if it is.

Regards

Daz

7. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I'd be careful "designing" any ret too similar to a previous Premier ret as they have been known to get very unhappy when someone copies one of their rets, as Leupold can testify

8. FGYT

FGYT New Member

i can draw it in Autocad for you but cant picture what you want if you could pencil sketch it and scan it in etc that might help

ATB

Duncan

9. TREV RYN

TREV RYN https://www.neftaonline.org/

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    to true the one you are describing if im not mistaken is the leup 27 ret that i have in my scope;)

10. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    matt it woz the same ret as my leup comp wot you seen at tawd no 27

11. Anon

Anon Non member

I thought ret 27, had this fitted to my Leup MkIV 35 mag, would only bracket a 55 yard kill and not other ranges?

Hhhhmmm may have to rethink the ret then, just so I don't get into any trouble with Premier.

Wonder if the main cross was a mil-dot ret but if another line was added below this main cross with all the ranging dots on wether this would be ok? Don't want it to become too cluttered.

Any ideas from anyone else?

regards,

Matt

12. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I really like the Nato ret. If I was designing a ret it would have lines rather than dots. The same line thickness as the Nato as I have never lost it on a dark target but it isn't too thick.

They give more precise aimpoints + have less chance of losing a pellet strike behind one and I would think make bracketing easier.

Dave.

13. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Matt
    Hi do beleive i have my original dimensions in MOA off of my prem ret leup 20-50 so if you look through the scope and compare it to the dimensions this may poss help Mr P

14. RobF

Club:
    Reckon it's just got to be a case of making it not look like a 27, a ruler is a ruler, so as long as it's not a direct copy, i can't see the problem... unless they have a world patent out on that particular aspect of measuring 45,50 and 55yds.

15. FGYT

FGYT New Member

and a one of copy of anything for personnel use is allowed even on patents ;)

16. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    as long as you are not making them to sell i can't see what premier could do

as above, if its for personal use its absolutely fine

once you start making them to sell then you have crossed the line and will be in trouble

17. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The only problem is getting a company to tool up & make you something for free which would be copyrighted in some fashion. I'm still not sure it would be free from possible legal action as it's clearly not for personal use by the person who made it.

18. FGYT

FGYT New Member

just use an old Dragon reticule they did lots of bracketing dots etc tho their lines did melt n sag if you pointed it at the sun :D Google Fu cant find Dragon any more so guess they have gone

19. RobF

Club:
    Hmm, not sure if just paying someone for it may land you in trouble, but it might land whoever makes it in trouble, if they were caught ;). Debatable if they would go for the neck on one replication, even if it was 100% direct copy, but you never know... we have, but then a lot of my work is just once use only, so when it gets copied again, we tend to got to defcon 2 as default.

The patents covering reticules seem a little different to ours, which, i think, have to cover a functional aspect. The leupold patents seem to only cover an ornamental aspect, ie it's just a look... if it looks like that it's a copy... if it does the same thing, but looks different, it aint.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D506520.pdf

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D532477.pdf

the latter pdf's and the sentence "we claim the ornamental design as shown" and the lack of description of the function of the reticule might suggest it's more of a visual design that's protected as opposed to a functional design with specific parameters.

however, if you look at Premier's patent for the Gen 2 http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6729062.pdf you can see it's functional descriptive. That patent probably means that any new reticule using aiming points is a derivative of the Gen2, which Leupold fluffed up. That's probably why when Nikon got a new reticule patented, it was news, even though it didn't light the shooting world on fire (i actually quite like it, but there you go).

All that aside, Gen 2 mil-dotâ„¢ is protected by U.S. Patent #6,729,062.

US as opposed worldwide. It would appear they deem the US market to be large enough to cover the likelyhood of a scope being sold there and thus requiring a license from them to do so.

In the uk, i (being completely unqualified) would say the Premier patent could/may hold if it was registered and got around (somehow) the prior art of mildot, where as the leupold ones wouldn't and would probably fall under copyright, which is far easier to defeat, you simply add 'work' to the image, and then it's yours (and you can copyright it).

You can see from the dates, Premier got their Gen2 patented in 04, Leup got theirs done 05... perhaps Premier couldn't be bothered to chase them over the TMR... perhaps there's a weakness in the Gen2 patent... dunno.

20. FGYT

FGYT New Member

you only need vary a couple of dimensions and its a differnt reticule etc unless they intend to sue all the Mildot rets prior to 04 etc as well which they cant

ie the abstract states teh secondary lines are less than 0.2mil a 0.3mil line would break the patent

pattents to be of any use have to be fairly specific and you also have to bother to enforce them and a company will only do that if its finacially worth it

as you say the leup one is a very simple patent claim and is the look of the ret so you can use any marks that doen give the over all look of the ret and should probably be a registered design

if a etched glass ret 2 converging lines that woulds pass the points would mean you could just raise the ret till the kill touched the lines and fire

ATB

Duncan

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010