My next 3D print project

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Brian.Samson, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Since my 3D printed turret project I've been on the lookout for something else I could 3D print and came up with the idea that I might like to 3D print myself a custom butt hook. I've got some ideas for a slightly different take on the normal butt hooks you see out there and hopefully significantly cheaper too. Not sure whether ABS will be strong enough but it'll be fun having a play, and you can all laugh at me when mine snaps :)

Anyhoo.. I've come to the conclusion that the OpenSCAD software I was using isn't really up to the job, so I've spent the weekend learning SolidWorks which seems very good.

Anyhoo... first step is I want to make a slightly offset angled WEGU butt pad spacer - this could eventually form a base for a butt hook anyway and it gives me a chance to learn SolidWorks in the process.

So here's what I've got so far (renderings attached). I haven't drilled the fixing holes yet - this is made to fit a Warren stock perfectly with a 63 degree angle.

( Yeah, I know you can buy angled WEGU spacers, but mine will look sexier :D )

Attached Files:

2. TeamZ

TeamZ Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Brian,

Solidworks is good for this stuff, you can work out the mass and weight of an object too which might be useful for balance etc.

Cheers

Chris

3. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    Sexy indeed.
    Looks good.
    Your programme is certainly more artistic (design aesthetic) than AutoCAD

4. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Cheers chaps

I was in two minds about whether to use AutoCad Inventor or Solidworks. By a quick 5 minute investigation they both seem to do about the same thing (AutoCad can do a loft extrusion like Solidworks so it would be fairly trivial to create the same object in AutoCad too).

The reason I chose OpenSCAD for my turret design before was that it didn't take me any time at all to learn it since it's all effectively a C like language (which I use every day anyway at work).

A CAD modelling app has a bit more of a learning curve to it and since I won't be designing models every day, I'll forget how to use it in a couple of weeks so would need to go through the learning curve several times over whenever I need to use it.

I'm quite tempted to stump up £3000 for a FormLabs Form1 printer when they're available in February, and if I do I'll probably be making more and more stuff :D

For the moment I'll carry on getting stuff printed using an agency - I've already printed around 20 bushnell turrets for people. Adam Lee suggested making some trigger blades - ABS might be quite a nice material to use for trigger blades because it's not as cold in the winter.

Anyhoo.. I'll keep having a play, I know there are some professional CAD experts on here so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, this Wegu spacer printed by the agency will probably cost around £11 plus VAT + postage.. so 1 would probably cost about £20 (printing 1 item isn't very cost effective). But I reckon I could probably print a fully adjustable ABS butt hook for about £25, which isn't bad considering how much you'd pay for one from Intershoot.

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

What about these iscope type devices you mentioned last time then Bri?

6. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Ah yeah, I gave up on that because adding the iPhone holder was becoming a bit of a pain in the software I was using and having a multi-part assembly wasn't easy to handle with OpenSCAD.

Solidworks is a lot nicer for that sort of thing so the iScope thing is still on my list once I'm better at using the software.

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Brian, if you have an idea, 3d modelling is what I do, and while my main output is normally poly's (which I think will do the job), it wouldn't take me that long to sort it in Rhino which does Nurbs.

8. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Cheers Rob

Yeah, I had a quick look through the features of Rhino to see if I could use it for 3D printing... I sort of discounted it as not ideal because it doesn't output STL's. OBJ output might possibly work if I put it through something like MeshLab to convert it to an STL but it seemed like a bit of fannying about that I could sidestep by just using something else.

The iScope thing Ry's talking about is this http://www.iscope.com/ it's basically 2 tubes and a smartphone case.. the retail for £100 in eBay. Trouble is, because the agency I've been using price up on swept volume, they would probably work out to be about £40 to print from them anyway..

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Rhino does do STL Brian... But if you're using STL, then a poly mesh is no problem, and that's 0 problem for me to model...

It's just that modelling with poly's isn't as accurate as Nurbs. Ok, qualifying that... if I model with poly's and follow a profile then all I have to do is ensure that i'm zoomed in to about 1:10000 and it's going to be fine. With Nurbs you don't need to worry at all. A 0.1mm radius will be a 0.1 mm radius because you told it to be so. That said, Nurbs are more of a pain to model with because they can only do certain things, which means you have to model in certain ways to get around these limitations. But with Poly's you don't have so many issues.

What you need to do to Nurbs to get them to be poly's is to tessellate them, which brings it's own set of fun and games. So sometimes it's easier to start in Poly's. Where poly's can sometimes struggle is doing curved modelling on curved surfaces. There's ways around it, but it's horses for courses. But for 99% of the time we jump straight into poly's.

I could probably knock up the above pretty quickly, with little radii on the edges... just if you get stuck. :)

10. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Well done Brian! Keep us updated :)

11. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Lol, ok I've gotta say - most of that went totally over my head Rob :D I think I understand what you're saying though.

If I've got it right, then I think the STL format is a poly line format (everything's made of triangles). So what I've done is just exported from Solidworks in STL but with the detail turned right up (shed loads of very very small triangles, smaller than a 3D printer would be able to cope with anyway - about 20Mb STL file in the end!).

Here's my finished wegu pad spacer... Not overly happy with the location of the screw holes, but they had to be in those places to fit my rifle correctly.

Finished rendering attached with a liberal sprinkling of fillets and a smattering of chamfers thrown in for good measure :)

Just need to get a price quote from the print agency now :) I'm guessing with the swept volume, about £11 but they're sometimes a bit vague about their pricing policy so who knows.

Attached Files:

12. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Grr.. min order price is £15 and the part came to £12.93 so I've snuck in another Bushnell Turret to make it up to £15. Total price with vat and delivery is £24.

Probably easier, cheaper and faster to just order a standard wegu spacer in the first place, but hey, where's the fun in that :D