My new TM1000 by Rapid Air Weapons

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Thepointman, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Good Ole Boy's Field Target Club & Invicta Field Target Club
    Martin Rutterford has created another masterpiece! I have been talking with Martin about a TM1000 for some time now. I finally placed the order a few weeks ago, and Martin called to tell me that my rifle was ready. So, I picked up my rifle after work one day last week and took it straight to the range to begin testing.

My rifle is sporting a grey laminate stock. It is a 12 fpe version that is set up for WFTF Division. I will also be getting one of Martin's nice adjustable knee risers to match the laminate stock. This is a truely awesome and complete Field Target rig!

I mounted one of my Leupold Competition 35x scopes using B-Square Weaver to Dovetail adaptors, and Leupold Quick Release low mounts. The alignment was spot on for me, and I didn't have any adjustments, shimming or other tinkering to do to the scope.

I initially set up paper targets at 15 and 25 yards. This was just to get a start with my scope. It only took a few shots to bring the pellets into one hole at 15 yards. So, I then moved on to 25 yards. Once again, with a little bit of minor adjusting, I had nice tight groups at 25 yards. I next measured out 50 yards and set up another paper target there. With an addition of 32 clicks from my zero point, the TM1000 was dropping pellets spot on. I shot a few groups that looked very good, then spent a few minutes really taking my time on a 5 shot group. I achieved a nice tight group which I posted a picture of below.

I am planning to ad a target type of butt plate to the rifle soon. It will likely be something similar to, if not exactly like what I have on my EV-2. I like the way those target buttplates fit my shoulder when holding the rifle. So, I think that will be nice addition to the rifle.

Now I have measured my scope height, entered all of my data into the computer and I have a complete ballistics chart for the scope. I hope to find time this weekend to go out and shoot all of the major yardages to verify or tweak my scope numbers. Once that is done, this beauty will be ready for the next Field Target match. :)

Take care,

Harold Rushton
    USA

TM1000 - Laminate Stock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a 50 yard, 5 shot group that I shot from the seated position during initial testing.
    [​IMG]

2. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Nice looking Rifle Harold, forgive my ignorance are you one and the same Harold that kicked my ass in Italy last year? Kind regards
    steve page

3. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Hi Steve,

I am the same Harold that was in Italy last year. However, my less than marginal performance wasn't anything to be concerned with. After my Steyr malfunctioned on day one, it was all down hill from there...

I hope you are doing well. See you in Norway.

Harold Rushton

4. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Harold nice to put a name to a face I do believe if my memory is correct you shot a 43 on the last day dodgy gun or not,good luck for Norway cannot make it this year but hopeing to make Germany next year. Good luck with the new rifle looks really good ATB steve

5. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Steve,

Too bad you cannot make Norway this year. I'm looking forward to it. I will either shoot my EV2 or my new TM1000 there. I just need to spend a considerable amount of time shooting the new gun over the next month to learn it. At this point, I think either gun will do great.

I hope to see you in Germany!

Harold

6. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Harold,

Looks bloody awesome and performance wise - a heck of a thumb tack hole puncher at 50 yards..:eek: (but will well suit my backyard plinking purpose :D)

Questions:

1. Gary Cane stock ?

2. Barrel - Lothar Walther ? ...what length ?

Cheers
    :cool:

7. Deadlydad

Deadlydad New Member

Cool rifle :cool: considered one but ended up going for a Walther. There is no one in Scotland who has one that I know of, so I could not get a go. Good luck with it :D

8. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Hi,

Thanks for your questions.

No, the stock is NOT a Gary Cane stock. It is a RAW TM1000 factory stock. The standard version is made of select walnut. Mine is a special edition made of laminate. It's hard to see, but it has a really nicely stippled grip area that is anatomically fitted to the fingers and hand. They also have a version of the stock that has a smaller grip area, and allows the fingers to fall closer to the trigger. I think it is closer to the feel of an EV2 stock.

The 12ft lbs and Carbon shrouded versions both have 19" barrels. The 20 fpe and higher version rifles with stainless shroud use a 23 1/2" barrel.
    Yes, Walther barrels are standard. The weight of the walnut CF version is approx 9lb and the high velocity with stainless is near 11lb. My laminate stock rifle has not been weighed yet. So, not sure about it's weight yet.

If you are interested in a rifle, just contact Martin at: Martin@rapidairweapons.com

Take care,

Harold Rushton

9. dhb

dhb Canadian FT Novice

Club:
    Eastern Ontario Shooting Club
    Just got mine and it's a beauty!

A buddy and I just got our matching TM1000s, laminated stocks, pressure gauges, aluminum adjustable butt plates and stainless (non-suppressor) shrouds and they are simply beautiful. Out of the box the triggers are great and the velocities are very consistent. As it is -15 degrees here, outdoor testing will have to wait for a while. Indoor at 17m my buddy has been putting pellets cleanly into the mouth of a .22 shell.

From order to ready for shipping was six weeks, exactly as promised by Martin.

:D

10. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    My son James has been doing quite well with his TM 1000 this year. If I was in the market for a good target rifle that was different to the standard issue Steyr/Walther, it would most definitely be a targetised Rapid! James also has a laminate stock on his carbon shrouded 12ftlb version, although the standard walnut version feels better to me personally.

The gun has fired tens of thousands of shots and has yet to miss a beat. The back up from Martin at Rapid Air Weapons has also been excellent. I am surprised that we haven't seen more of these impressive rifles appearing on the UK target shooting scene to be honest. If I could afford one, I would have one tomorrow.

Good luck with your new guns chaps!

Andy