My BR rifle progression

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mrgeoff, Oct 20, 2018.

1. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

If I were to compare shooting a PCP rifle with a .22 RF on an equal basis, the PCP will have to shoot at 25 and the Rimfire at 50...We usually do it this way and the results are very similar competitive scores and either gun can win. Indoors the .22 RF even shooting at 50 will have an advantage over a PCP at 25 if the PCP is shooting 12 ft./lb, but there will be no advantage if the PCP is shooting 20 ft./lb...I shot my 20 ft./lb. RAW indoors 3-4 times and 250's were a given, I don't think I ever shot a 249 and the challenge was to shoot as many X's as possible, but after a while shooting for X's became pretty boring and I don't shoot indoors anymore...My experience has been that at 50 yards or 50 meters (in or outdoors) the PCP's up to .22 caliber and up to 20 ft./lb. in power will always be in disadvantage vs. a .22 rimfire and to make them competitive the PCP needs to generally shoot 1/2 distances.

I agree with you, there is no need to spend much $$$ for shooting 250's indoors with a PCP...Nevertheless, outdoors it is a different story and don't expect to beat a $2,500+ PCP with a $1000 gun because anyone trying this will be frustrated most of the time.
    As a recent example: At the 2018 US Nationals I saw many PCP brands in all price range categories: FX, AA, FWB, BSA, RAW, etc...But from the 18 finalists in HV (20 ft./lb.), at least 13-14 of those were $2200+RAWs and the rest were $3500 Thomas...No other brands made it to the finals. In LV (12 ft./lb.) it was the same scenario: A Thomas followed by 2 RAWs, my Steyr LG-110 in 4th and the rest were all RAWs.

I started shooting LV with a FWB 700 10 Meter gun, but even after modifying it for 12 ft./lb. it was not top notch...For 2017 I then tried a Daystate, an FX and a FT Steyr LG-110 that I tuned, re-barreled and used for BOTH classes HV and LV by just swapping ports...This gun was competitive in LV but I struggled much to beat the top 1-2 shooters in HV...
    For 2018 I prepared a RAW for HV and left the Steyr exclusively for LV and FT and with these two guns I was able to dominate both classes in the USA during the 2018 season...I recently won the USA Nationals in HV but didn't do well in LV (finished 4th) after the regulator on the LV Steyr failed me bad just before starting my second card (I was just one point behind the first place after finishing the first target).

Best regards,

AZ

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    That's fantastically informative AZ, thank you.

Personally I am only looking at 12 ft lb rifles as there are both difficulties and restrictions in the UK owning a rimfire or 20ft lb rifle, both require the same level of licensing and security. A 12 ft lb rifle is still considered a Section1 firearm but ownership and use is much less restricted. We are trying to get club level bench rest off the ground within our (South West) region so at least to start with people will mostly be using their FT rig or possibly a spare. I have a Walther Dominator I am going to try, having sold my TM1000 some while ago (maybe not such a smart idea), but I also have plans for a custom rifle based on an Air Arms action. Would you say there is an ideal technical spec, reg pressure, firing valve timing, barrel length, pellet weight etc or is it all down to experimentation.

As RAW and Thomas are so successful, they must have done this work at some point, or possibly on each rifle produced, and come up with a combination of settings that work.

3. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    I will be trying the steyr LG 110 and sportsmatch gc2 in the coming weeks and will let you know how they compare to the rim fire. Have shot the steyr once and seemed to group very well.

4. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    Tried the gc2 last night complete with sightron 36x42 scope and Jsb 8.44 4.52 pellets and can report that these rifles are as accurate as I remember. Very small groups, some through same hole. Would seem to be more consistent than the steyr but early days yet.

5. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Just got me a 9015 for BR, early days yet still testing pellets, soon will have a BR Hamster and Lab jack to try

6. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    Looked at the anschutz air rifles and they look good. If they are anything like the small bore rifles then you will have a winner.