My BR rifle progression

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mrgeoff, Oct 20, 2018.

1. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I started the slippery slope in BR about 3 years ago with my first serious PCP rifle, a BSA R10 in 177.

PCP rifles are supposed to be accurate right? Had a 32x sidewinder on it, I have seen shotguns group better, what a joke.
    Unfortunately everyone at the club was trying to “help” with technique etc so by the time I realised the rifle was bad, it was too late.

But I was hooked on benchrest!

So next up was everyone’s sure thing for benchrest, an air arms s400.
    Really, another single shot shotgun. Maybe ok for a 10 shot card, but I was shooting 50 shot cards, you can’t get away from the power curve. So I fitted a reg, not much better with the long floppy barrel clamped upto an air tube that moves with pressure.

Good thing about shooting badly due to the rifle, is all the advice on technique you get, as it can’t be the rifles fault ;-)

Next rifle was a rapid Mk2. I was getting fed up with poor performing junk. But Wow, what a rifle, and I found with the right tool, I could shoot! I went from mid/bottom league to top end scores overnight!
    Maybe next time someone is struggling, it really is the rifle.

The rapid started me really focusing on the prep, it wasn’t over pellet fussy, but it did like washed and lubed pellets.

Finished 2nd place in the league last year with the Rapid, I felt like I shot it to the best of the rifles ability, so how do I improve? Where do I go from here? I have no idea, every other rifle I have has a spring.

Maybe one of those 10m match rifles that seem to come in dedicated BR stock? FWB or 9015 look nice, so I call this guy called Jon Harris for one or another, and I settle on the 9015 benchrest start as i like the benchrrst stock it come with.

I’m going to clean up here now? Not quite, it’s no more accurate than the rapid to start with, what a disappointment. Hmmm, I need to work on this, and 10 months of ownership im slowly getting there, both in terms of prep, and technique, but a lot of room for improvement im sure.

So that’s my journey upto now, pretty much the only thing it’s taught me is “pellet on pellet” is nonsense for probably 75% of air rifles out there, ok I guess that depends on your interpretation.

I have no plans to upgrade any further rifle wise, hopefully the story isn’t too dull.

rmwesley, paul.w and Paul_T like this.
  2. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks Geoff that was interesting, I am just starting my BR journey, been playing with springers and my HFT500, about to up the ante with a dedicated BR stock.

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Surely the trigger is 10 times better on the 9015 than the Rapid? Plus the stabilizer should make it deader to shoot on the bench.

4. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Member

Comparing the Rapid, which is a hunting gun against the 9015 Benchrest start is unfair (to the Rapid I mean).

The 9015 has highlighted as you say your need to work on the last 10% (technique) on the road to a perfect score, it's what seperates the really "consistent" performers from the rest of us, personally I like to believe a new gun will at least make me feel better along the road to mediocrity!

As Conor says above the 9015 is probably the best out of the box trigger availible currently, the trigger on "most" Rapids was laughable at best!

5. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    So do you think the barrel on the 9015 is up to the job. Or maybe change the barrel. The more I get in to this benchrest. The more I'm starting to think find a rifle that's blinding on a chronograph and has the best trigger ever. Then find a barrel. Got to be cheaper than buying all these pellets ...

6. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I do wonder if I had kept the rapid, if I would have got better with it, the trigger was fine if you have trigger control, just needed a back stop.
    I just thought it was shooting as well as it could at the time.

Just shot a couple of 199 out of 200 cards at 10m (flathead pellets too) and a perfect 100 on 20m, so I’m getting better with the 9015 :) let’s just leave it as it is.

7. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Nothing wrong with the barrel then!!

8. Brent

Brent New Member

Club:
    Park lodge
    My 9015 shoots like a pig in cold weather or it could be me that's crap

9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    You're assuming both are set up properly...;)

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    An Anschutz trigger straight from the factory is a whole lot better than any finely tweaked and tuned Theoben trigger I’ve ever tried (including my own).
    And yes a working stabilizer would be something I’d expect on a factory Anschutz, even without tuning or optimising.

11. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    You’d be surprised how many I’ve seen where the triggers were badly set up and the stabilisers turned off.

12. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    While the trigger and stabiliser are a factor, I think 90% of a rifles capability comes down to the barrel (and probe etc. )
    As long as the trigger is not over heavy, you can shoot it, so maybe a few % improvement for a 9015 trigger, maybe the stabiliser gives 1% improvement, but the stock fit will give more.

Geoff.

13. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    Just bought a steyr LG 110 for 25 yard benchrest to shoot along side my anschutz 1813. The first time shooting it has proved very promising. Using out of the tin jsb 8.44 4.52 very small groups. May even pick up my all time favourite air rifle, the sports match gc2. Having had a mk2 and 3 back in the 90s they were supremely accurate using either crosman premiers or barracuda match.

14. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the LG110 and how it compares to your Anschutz RF for accuracy when you've had some practice.
    I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my BR air rifle and what to get when I do. The LG110 is on my list, as is the Anschutz 9015 and also the airarms FTP900.

15. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    Still think the rim fire is the easier route to success. Been out of air rifle shooting for some years. Collecting a nice gc2 next week so will have two to use. If gc2 lives up to my memories then will probably let the steyr go as don’t need two !!!

16. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Putting aside all the stuff and nonsense that goes with getting an FAC, it probably is the easier (but far more expensive) route, but that's not really the point.

Over the years I have seen dozens and dozens of people try to buy success, in shooting, in motorsport, in almost all the sports and pastimes I have been involved with, I don't recall ever seeing anyone succeed.

17. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    There's no easy route to success. Stand fast some modern day crap celebrity status. Real talent, which is what is required for shooting sports, along with correct application for the discipline at hand, along with equipment that is working and fitted correctly to you will go most of the way.

Pellets I hear you cry; yes pellets are part of that set up. I expect most people still miss because of their error though than the pellets. I used to use £8 a tin pellets in my pistol but after trying a £3.50 tin with the pistol clamped, they did the same 10 shot 'true one hole' group that the £8 tin did. I shoot these at 20 yards outdoors along with 10m indoors and I shoot in Div 1.

There's a strange belief by middle aged man that he cannot miss a target.........

NeilM likes this.
  18. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    What I was saying was that in my experience of benchrest shooting with rim fire is that compared to some off my fellow club members who have spent £1800 + on pcp rifles. I have had equal and sometimes better results with a anschutz 1813 supermatch costing £300. I will be trying the pcp route myself as a direct comparison.

19. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Well of course you have, shooting 25m with a 40 grain .22 rimfire round doing 1100fps is a piece of cake compared to 25m with an air rifle shooting 8.4 grain pellets at 780 fps or 10.3 grain pellets going at 750.

You also do not need an £1800 air rifle to do well, I have a friend who puts in 250's using an Air Arms MPR and he is far from unique.

20. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I wasn't actually having a go at you, although it may have read that way with my opening line. It was actually more in response to the OP and any shooter who instantly blames anything but himself for missing the target.