Muzzle Break test

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Tone, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    Muzzle Brake test

Not quite air rifle calibre but it does highlight that not all muzzlebrakes are equal, and can certainly help with muzzle flip.

Tough to do any meaningful comparison and analysis with air rifle muzzlebrakes/air strippers, which is why it always seems to come down to 'gut feel'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3FD-Rou9-9A

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Interesting! :D

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Interesting.

We've got something a little more scientific in the workshop... just need a few tweaks and we'll be there.

4. Tone

Tone Member

Club:
    looking forward to seeing it rob, any chance I can test drive the finished article please?:)

I will need it for a 16mm barrel, preferably black, and I happy to trial it for a minimum of six months:D

5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    I'll field test a 16mm one too!:p

6. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    da BOSS

This is where its at ;)

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=107

Been messing with something along these lines and it seems to make a difference ;)

7. RobF

Club:
    :D

I think hopefully we'll have something interesting soon. We already know we're there in what we want to test, we're hoping the test system proves it. What we need to do is then try it for different guns. The test bed has been a long barrelled steyr. The short barrel one not only needs to be different for fit reasons, but it might need to be different for other reasons. And that means that each rifle design might need a different design/spec, and special barrels might need something custom for the gun. But if the test rig works we'll at least be able to make good judgements based upon something more solid than just feel.

What I can say is that shooting a completely dead gun is a very odd experience. It takes a lot of getting used to, and is superb for highlighting issues in technique which impart their own movement into the sequence. It also does allow for stocks to be set for position rather than to deal with flip and recoil. But I am not sure that we can harness all the blast into making a gun dead, but we can dampen it considerably, and we hope to be able to show that.

8. Tone

Tone Member

Club:
    I guess there are three things going on with such a test, harmonics, muzzle flip, and stripping air?

I know that my steyr needs help dampening the muzzle flip and my tm1000 benefits from the stainless shroud that goes beyond the crown by a 100 mm or so and therefore creates still air.

Hard to nail each one of the effects in one unit but if you do then the unit will become very popular, especially if it is one size suits all so to speak.

9. RobF

Club:
    What we've been able to do is pretty much rule out harmonics as an effect caused by this device as we can test it in an almost ineffective way. There's a new design in the wings that should be able to confirm that, but we're pretty sure we know whats going on. Not saying harmonics do or don't play a part, it's just we don't think they are with this, because we can change the behaviour of the rifle without changing the weight or position. Well unless you think adding a bit of paper can change it.