MTC Viper Connect Scope Choice

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Patsy70, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Patsy70

Patsy70 New Member

Hi All

Looking to get a MTC Viper Connect.....borrowed a mates and got on quite well with it, but now not sure which one to get.

I tested the 3-12x32 version but is the 3-12x24 better? Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Gavin Todd

Gavin Todd New Member

Club:
    Castle Field
    I had the viper connect on my hunting rifle before I started field target and it was alright but useless for FT. So depends what your using it for. You may want something with bit more mag.

3. miketowler

miketowler Active Member

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    I purchased the mtc viper 3-12x32, did one round of HFT and sent it straight back, ok it was a foggy day and I couldn’t see a lot of the longer targets? It was that bad that I very nearly went for the target number on one peg, yet other shooters was not having that problem with the normal scopes

4. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Yep would be hopeless for FT.

Im onto my second connect x24. Spot on for HFT with a really really long depth of field and wide angle view. Very little parallax error. (if you see a milky image your head position is fractionally too low)

I changed to an EVX and briefly tried a sightron before returning to the connect - I just couldn’t eliminate parallax problems with the “normal” scopes at 40-45yds.

I’m told the x32 collects more light(but has a slightly narrower depth of field). Having said that I’ve never struggled with brightness of image on a course except once when shooting into really gloomy woodland and there’s IR if you need it. I used to hunt with a x24 in dusky light and it was fine.

Don’t think you can go wrong - just make sure you try before you buy. I’m told the optical quality can vary but both mine were fine.

Al-G likes this.
  5. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Had a 32mm and it was a great scope, I’d imagine the 24mm even better for HFT with the depth of focus.
    Totally useless for FT but a great hunting scope with that huge field of view.

Al-G likes this.
  6. Patsy70

Patsy70 New Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I will only be using it for HFT.

I have heard that the quality can vary, so sounds like I need to have a good look through the scope first.

The scope I borrowed has the SCB2 ret. Seems a little ‘busy’ when looking through it. Is the AMD better?

Roverblue likes this.
  7. Blindmanjake

Blindmanjake Active Member

Club:
    Heckington HFT
    I personally have used several 24connects and 32connects. I really like them and get on very well with them. I prefer the 24. Better depth of field. Make sure you look through the scope before buying as the quality control can be a little, well nonexistent. Just a tip with the 24. You'll need to make a sunshade for it as they struggle with glare. And there isn't an off the shelf one available. I personally just used a tube of carbon fibre tube slid it over the scope. Works a treat. As for the reticle. I've used both and for HFT the scb2 is by far the best. The AMD ret has too many large gaps in it for aimpoints to get lost in.
    Just my opinion.
    All the best with what you choose.

Al-G likes this.
  8. miketowler

miketowler Active Member

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    Look at opticwarehouse when you buy, if you don’t get on with the scope they do a 6 week return for a full credit, all you loose is the postage each way!

C.Eaton likes this.
  9. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Definitely scb2 for HFT

10. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I agree with the SCB2 for HFT. The quality does vary so my advice would be to go to a shop with a few in stock, ask to look through and then pick the best.

11. Bo_Nidle

Bo_Nidle Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    I shoot HFT and have Connect 24mm's (SCB2 reticles) mounted on my main rifle and my back up.

I have had about six now as I kept getting tempted away, only to re-confirm that I like the Connects better and having to go out and buy new ones.

I'm sticking with them now.

I have used the 32mm (in fact I have an "as new"one in the cupboard for sale, pm me if interested) and I think the image is brighter than the 24mm but the 24mm has the edge in depth of field, but its by so little I have to wonder how much is imagination.

Excellent pieces of kit.