MTC Viper 10x44 sidewheel

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Perringjam, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Perringjam

Perringjam New Member

A very random question.

Recently I purchased above said scope. It's a cracker I won't fib and a 53 on my first ever HFT at Bisley is testament to that (the cdt Airwolf doesn't hinder that granted) but I have a query on the add on larger sidewheel.

The one I brought has Allen key grub screws at the 9, 12 and 3 o'clock. I cannot get it to sit square without it moving and I cannot believe this is right. Surely there should be 4 grub screws at the obvious 4 locations and that there should be an additional grub screw at the 6 o'clock?

Many thanks in advance for those with more experience of these scopes.

Jim

2. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hi and welcome.

Just to clarify - big wheel and your shooting HFT? No need as you shouldn't be touching it while doing HFT. Big side wheels give you space for your range finding marks and a bit of precision but that is for the - FT discipline only.

A bit confused or am I missing something here!

kr

3. Perringjam

Perringjam New Member

Your right

Your absolutely right and I don't have it fitted for HFT so worry not, I was commenting on the quality of the scope not how I use it.

For the record the sidewheel isn't fitted for comps but I was more musing over whether the sidewheel isn't correctly machined that's all. I'm also tempted to give ft a bash (ok it's not the most appropiate scope I know) it's more to make range plinking for poi checks easier when I'm testing various poi issues.

4. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Noted - as I said welcome and well done on your first comp score.

Kr

5. handbylt

handbylt New Member

Club:
    TCom.hft+Kingsley HFT
    I have had one of these and am not sure but does the 4th pos. you mention have a lug or detent on the wheel that lines up with the castellations on the scope

6. Perringjam

Perringjam New Member

Kr

Thanks for the vote of confidence and appreciate the welcome.

I was slightly surprised and chuffed with my first effort. Personally I blame the kit I have more than any skill.

Still intrigued about the side wheel add on as to whether it's a norm or I got a duffa. I looked at quality of optic when I got the viper but maybe I made a mistake when I ignored the add ons. Lesson learnt.

7. Perringjam

Perringjam New Member

Handbylt

Not that I can see its a fully fitting rubber cog internally and the cogs fit the side wheel. It doesn't sit right from an engineering point of view to have grip screws at only 9, 12 and three to have one missing from the 6 o'clock. If they were at 12, 4 and eight I could understand it but they aren't arranged like that.

If one owns this scope I'm intrigued if mines an anomaly. If mine isn't to spec the fix is easy. Hence I'm asking if it's normal or not.

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I won't be able to check until i get back into the UK on friday but i have 2 spares and if they are different i will send you one.:)

9. Perringjam

Perringjam New Member

Chrisc

Chrisc

That is incredibly generous of you and I cannot thank you enough for your kind offer.

I shall attempt to rectify it though the shop I recently purchased it from if it proves to be a manufacturing defect so hopefully I won't need to take you up on your generosity.

10. rusteh

rusteh New Member

I have 2 of these excellent scopes and from recollection, both of the side wheels have 3 grub screws. Having said that, I have never experienced sidewheel alignment issues on either.

11. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

No worries...

Ah, there you go:)