MPR or AR20? what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by brede, Oct 2, 2010.

1. brede

brede all the gear and no idea.

have had a go of both in the past and i cant decide between the two. im looking to possibly buy one or the other at some point in the near future. they've both got adjustable cheekpieces but the hammerli has an adjustable... well everything really! the mpr is all wood though the AR20 is plastic, and they both hover around the same price, the AR20 probably a few quid more. but what are your experiences with either of them? accuracy, reliability, warranty & aftersales etc?
    the mpr might be a bit short for me but the AR20 grip may touch the floor? need your input boys and girls im between a rock and a hard place here :(
    p.s. i cant afford a steyr atm so dont start :rolleyes:
    with that said, let the banter begin :D

2. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Second hand Steyre for not a lot more than the new price of either of them. Or sell what you've already got and get a new un.;):)

3. brede

oh dont worry about that ryan, the mk4's going! only trouble is trying to sell one now, ive heard you cant give them away :(

4. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    John, I am being sent a AR20 for test in the next few weeks, When i get it you are more then welcome to have a go.

Gary

5. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    s/h pro target air aims for 450 ish wicked gun,

6. elite warrior

elite warrior MAD 4 IT 2012

Club:
    MAD.....
    john the mpr is a very nice gun indeed very accurate and very reliable with a shot count of around60/ 70 sweet shots per fill before drop off ,un-regged that is . i believe that is the gun that won the world championships this year ,( correct me if i am wrong) so it cant be bad , well as for the AR not got a lot to say realy as not tested one out ,just a few shots and found it was extremely heavy, but that is personal preference i suppose , and i might add that gav jones shot one for the 1st time at the UK round last week and shot a 58 :D so again not a bad rifle although he is a very good shot.;):D.

hope this helps

atb
    martyn

7. paula

paula Senior Member

the beauty about the MPR is its simplisity and after a mk4 the rule has to be keep it simple
    i dont think you`d go far wrong with a MPR:):):)
    atb
    Phil

8. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    Whats up with the mk4?
    Plenty of them about.....

9. brede

thanks guys, and gary i will definately (spelling?) take you up on that, let me know when you will have it and i will make my way over to you wherever you may be.
    the mk4 shoots through the same hole for loads of shots then goes, inch left, inch right, inch up, inch down, then through the same hole again and again this is in a barn with no wind whatsoever. at shepreth uk round i was doing quite well (for me anyway) even out there in the wind. got in the woods and missed 6 easy ones in a row. dink, dink, dink, donut, dink, dink. back on target again. still pulled in a 50 but with a PB of 54 i had the chance to do quite well and once again it failed me. at shoot 18 of the wednesday evening shoots at M.A.D. i was only 1 point down after 13 lanes, and the one i dropped was a stander! for me to do this well is unheard of. (scutter will back me up on this :eek: ) mini kill @ 20-ish yards went 2mil dots high, next one, a long'un with a right to left wind landed above my crosshair instead of a mil dot down and took no wind. next one went half a mil dot high and went the opposite way to the wind before rain stopped play. i was ready to sell it to swan vesta for matchwood by this point. wondered why they were going everywhere at the M.A.D. rounds of the uk's only to find out it didnt have a baffle in the end. thanks. then there was having to take it out of the stock to pad the stock out with foam to stop the battery banging around. simple fix, but i shouldnt have to do it really. ive lost all faith in it and its making me not enjoy shooting anymore, MY SPRINGER IS MORE ACCURATE!!!
    sorry, rant over :eek: anyways i want a gun i can trust so im looking elsewhere.

10. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Very informative, and a good honest appraisal. Never owned an electronic rifle, dont want one either.

11. killzone sniper

killzone sniper Del Boys Love Child

I own both guns and i would say the AA MPR hands down and for following reasons:

The 400 series has been out for years they are simple to work on, they are a reliable workhorse and if something is wrong it is a quick fix. My MPR has served me well (3 years) and I personally will never sell it. They are accurate out of the box, a few tuning mods you will not regret it.

The AR I have had for over 4/5 months now, I believe it was one of the first .177 in the country. It is a good gun but needs a lot of tweeks to get it right. It is very front heavy, the cocking mechanism has a lot to be desired:(. The stock is very 2 dimensional and imo needs a few mods to get comfortable. To get relevant mods done is going to cost me in the region of £200-300. The longivity of this gun has yet to be tested. (with these mods could be a great gun)

IMO wait until more people have the AR and mods to cocking mech, stock and longivity has been tested. Otherwise you'll be dipping into your wallet every couple of months and a £600 gun will cost you more like £1000 by the time your happy with

Mike

Mods I will be doing to the AR:

Walther Ally Junior Cylinder (To bring weight back from front)
    New Wood Pistol Grip, cheekpiece and Hamster- with ally spacers etc (Cos I'm a tart)
    New cocking mech- Being machined at present (it is just god awful as it is)

12. DaveTV

DaveTV Member

Club:
    Who knows....
    You have tried shooting the MK4 with the shroud off haven't you?

It sounds very similar to something I heard was wrong with an Airwolf at the club a little while ago. The battery knocking is a common thing, hence why I replace the foam with a different type, did that over a year ago and had no issues.

If its only the fliers that are the problem I'd see what Daystate can do to solve it before selling it, as its been heard of and solved for other people.

13. brede

Thanks people, keep it coming. Yes ive tried it without the shroud, with and without a silencer, a good charge, reset settings, 3 different scopes and more pellet brands than I care to mention. And of course letting other people try it to eliminate user error. To me a "flier" is every now and again, not 5 or 6 in a row every so many shots :-( it might be a programming issue, im just clutching at straws though.

14. AirArmsDavid

AirArmsDavid Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    My Jamie's GML S400 GINB cost around £500 after selling the PW stock it came in and buying the very adjustable GINB one here....

bs.JPG fs.JPG
    6.jpg

He'd switched from his previous BTAS tuned S400 to an EV2 but his scores were dropping so back to what he had before in a slightly different guise and he's back winning comps again.

I tried Evan's AR20 and quite liked it but I couldn't put up with the horrible stock. GINB would make a custom stock for it but need a complete gun for this one, not just a donor stock. Have contacted Walther and Nigel at Brocock but no response from either. Guess they're not interested in a wider market then?

So, at the moment I'd go for a standard S400 2nd hand and put it in something like Jamie's stock if I were you.

:)

15. beesl999

beesl999 Member

Think you need to speak Mikeygasbag on Fortforum similar isues with his MK4:mad: He now Shoots an EV2 :)

16. AirArmsDavid

AirArmsDavid Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Yes it was an MPR, in a GINB Special FT No.7 stock. ;)

mw1.jpg

ft007.jpg

17. brede

Hmm I like the idea of customising an s400, but then thats going to be a lot more expensive than an mpr which is pretty much already done for me.

18. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Second hand Steyr.;)

19. CAC

CAC Member

Tried a ar 20 at our club today and the obvious stock issues aside was blown away by it's accuracy out to 55 yds , in my opinion every bit as accurate as my modded LG 300 , cocking was a lot smooter than others I have tried and the trigger usable but a bit heavier than the Walther .... Should be easy to get a better stock fit at a reasonable cost ,all in all very impressed :)

20. cinstone

cinstone New Member

There's many a different pcp in my collection, from S200's, BSA T.R.U and Brocock Concept to an EV2 Mk II and Daystate Mk4 and the most consistant is.........

S400 MPR FT, and it does 80 shots in it's peek from 170 bar and could easily stretch to 10 or so more shots either side of its peek.

See here;- http://www.airgun-tec.co.uk/airgun-tec/index.php?topic=63.0

Chris.