MPR FT tune

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by David Speck, Jan 3, 2020.

1. David Speck

David Speck New Member

Club:
    Greyhound gun club
    Hi folks, I'm pretty new so bare with Me if this has been asked before. I have a mpr ft. Has it stands the barrel is floated and fitted with a rowan stripper . I have been filling it to 170 bar and using the next 60 shots has being " spot on" then repeat. I initially bought it because it was unregulated and simple to look after, but lately I've been thinking about maybe having it regulated and setup from there, there seems to be a 8-10 ish FPS spread over the 60 shots. I'm pretty close to ratworks who fit tench regs without extending the air tube and the other name that obviously crops up is Zenith. So anyone with any ideas/ opinions please chime in. Thanks guys. 20190528_193955.jpg

2. john79

john79 JEDI

Club:
    MISFITS HFT CLUB
    leave it as it is mate, fitting a reg wont get you better consistency than your getting already , maybe a few more shots per fill, put the money towards another rifle if you want to upgrade :)

Very nice example you have there anyway ;)

NeilM, cloverleaf, SteveC200 and 2 others like this.
  3. David Speck

David Speck New Member

Club:
    Greyhound gun club
    Thanks bud, I had a EV2 MK2 before this that was a bit finicky which is why I ended up with this so your probably spot on.

john79 likes this.
  4. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Your barrel is not floated as it's still supported by figure of 8 at the muzzle end but it's a lovely piece of kit and I recommend that you don't fit a regulator as there is virtually nothing to be gained. They are great just as they are.

john79 likes this.
  5. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    you refer to it as "spot on", so if it is spot on, how could you get it any better?

6. David Speck

David Speck New Member

Club:
    Greyhound gun club
    Hi fly fisher. The figure of 8 piece is oversized in the top piece. It prevents the barrel from deflecting too far but the barrel has about a clear 2mm all the way around .

Peter Trimmer and Fly fisher like this.
  7. David Speck

David Speck New Member

Club:
    Greyhound gun club
    Sorry bit of an unclear term in this instance by spot on I mean of nominal varience.

8. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    The top of the figure of 8 is a tight fit round the barrel of my MPR so opening up the top hole sounds like a good idea. Thanks for that David.

David Speck likes this.
  9. terryn

terryn Active Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    I

10. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    leave it as it is and enjoy it. you can always upgrade to a different rifle later on.

cloverleaf and David Speck like this.
  11. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

I have a MPR 400 and I have fitted a reg, it has improved it, I get more shots without any power curve at all, it does need a bit of setting up if you fit your own regulator, it's not a case of fit it and forget it, it will need re-tuning but would I do it again now that I have done it? Definitely for the cost of a reg it is a well worth upgrade, lots of people say leave it but ask yourself how many unregulated rifles win titles?

If you can't do it yourself get someone that can do it properly, you should be looking at getting at least 75 shots (I get about 84 85) with excellent consistency.

David Speck likes this.
  12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Some things..

- Barrel doesn't look floated - have you removed the O-ring in the band? Is there an air gap between the barrel and support, all the way around? The early 16mm ID S410 Xtra bands are good for floating MPRs ;)
    - If it's not seen any attention replace the exhaust valve as they're crap and degrade over time, reducing muzzle energy and ideal fill pressure
    - Don't reg it - they're a pig to do, nobody ever does them properly and (with all due respect to WBD above) they're not particularly good when regged.
    - If you want it lightly breathing upon (polish, re-seal, proper setup) drop me a PM as I can do it (for the usual reimbursement) if you can get it to me / collect.
    - Finally, bonus points for being a left-hander, although ffs get that bolt re-positioned on the correct side! (also something I can help with as nec. ;) )

JPS Norton, David Speck and NeilM like this.
  13. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

As cloverleaf said, it's not easy to do if you have never done one or don't have the stuff to do it. For instance, I used a bore honing tool to polish the cylinder, there are other ways to do it but it can take a lot of time and effort. He is also right about the exhaust valve and I altered the setup of the springs (hammer and exhaust valve) I would say that if you genuinely get your claimed shot count and that little variation, leave it and practice, you will see more improvements doing that.

David Speck and cloverleaf like this.
  14. David Speck

David Speck New Member

Club:
    Greyhound gun club

Yep there's a gap all the way round I think it may be the band you speak of as it looks oe but was there when I bought the rifle. The bolt set ups never really bothered me but yeah I suppose I should. The other stuff you mentioned sounds like a decent idea. I'll give you a shout to sort out getting it done.