Mounting targets to trees?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by dhb, Sep 20, 2013.

1. dhb

dhb Canadian FT Novice

Club:
    Eastern Ontario Shooting Club
    We just got the ok to use a woodlot for our informal FT group (we've been shooting on a grass runway). I'm looking for simple yet effective solutions for permanent and removable target bases. If anyone has suggestions and photos, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    haulage strap's

We use steel angle brackets with ratchet straps at our club.
    The strap's are light weight version's of what you would use to secure wood on the back of a lorry.
    will try and get you some pics tomorrow.
    simon

3. blackscale

blackscale Member

We use the cheap 'L' shelf bracket as well with a piece of wood screwed to the top to mount target but we just use 2 screws to mount to trees.
    Depends on whether the landowner minds you screwing to trees, it doesn't do any harm.
    The ratchets are quite good, lots of clubs use them but for us buying 30 of them is quite expensive, even the brackets @ £2.50 each is £75...:D

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Screws and nails will damage the tree, use a lightweight ratchet with the target mounted into a bracket.

Don't be irresponsible and risk killing the trees by screwing the target into it, the screws usually work loose also.

5. cocksure

cocksure Weihrauch flasher mac....

quick and easy....

The simple way to do this is take a pallet, cut it into 8-9 inch pieces, then simply nail them horizontal to your trees at the desired angle. Then use a clamp, (or screw them on if you have the means and time to take them down again) to attach your targets. This method gives you the 'rat up a tree' effect, but ALL knockdown targets work sideways and look great, even the squirrel and big crow targets. For uprights use a stump with plank nailed direct on top, or use the very professional metal brackets that we and many others use. REMEMBER TO SPRAY A YELLOW MARK ON THE TREE OR YOU WILL NEVER FIND THEM!!

6. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Please get permission from the landowner.....especially if the ground you shoot on is rented like ours before nailing, screwing and putting paint marks on trees with spray paint. I now opt for a bright piece of string which can be removed easily to denote where a bracket is.

7. Gilogrt

Gilogrt Member

Club:
    Greyhound/Kibworth
    I take my hat off to you sir but let me assure you that a screw or nail will not harm a tree let alone kill one. That is, if the tree is large enough to support the weight of the target without snapping. You will cause infinitely more stress upon the tree by choking it with a strap and pressing a bracket into the stem.
    The tree will compartmentalise around a screw or nail.

If I was a tree I'd have the nail.
    What would you rather have around your neck? An IV or a noose?

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I don't think rachet straps are meant to be permanent. For ease they are great. With L shaped plates they can be really quick to put up and super fast to crash. Probably the longest amount of time is spent clearing lanes.

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    When I was at school we were told the Xylem and phloem vessels just under the bark transported the water and nutrients up and down the plant, puncturing these vessels will IMO cause the tree more stress and potential damage than strapping a target around it for a couple of hours during a competition.

I take my hat off to you sir, your a strong boy if can crush the trunk of a 200 year old Oak with a ratchet strap.

Also have a word with forestry worker about the relationship with bits of steel (screws and nails) and chainsaw blades! ;)

10. dhb

dhb Canadian FT Novice

Club:
    Eastern Ontario Shooting Club
    There are a few dead trees and lots of living ones. Where feasible I'll opt for the dead ones.

11. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I agree - some of the NEFTA clubs rent from companies / land owners that make a profit from the trees grown on site. One nail or screw in the wrong place can get a club kicked off a ground. A soft air club got on the wrong side of a land owner here in NEFTA for nailing signs to the trees. They had to leave the ground not long after.

Dave.

12. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    We screw L brackets to trees at Anston, and we weren't sure whether it would damage the trees and considered using straps, but one of our club members at the time actually was a forestry worker and he said that screwing brackets to trees won't hurt them so long as you don't leave the brackets in place for a long time.

No idea how true that is, but that's what he said.

From memory I think the reason it causes damage if you leave them up is because water gets trapped behind the bracket and then wood lice move in. I guess that would also be true for ratchet straps too.

13. chloe

chloe Member

Club:
    castle
    Trees

Compartmentalization is not a repeatable process, so if you keep putting screws into the same tree you will harm the tree.The smaller the tree the quicker the damage.Leaving anything tight against a tree that can collect water is bad practice.Got this off Dad who re creates Native Woodland as part of his job.

14. raygun

raygun Non member

Can some bugger please interview a tree so we can be assured they're O.K. with screws and nails.

:D:D:D

ATB
    Ray.

15. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

I've lent against a few on the way home from the pub and can assure you that as yet no complaints have been received. :D:D

16. blackscale

blackscale Member

I have a little bit of woodland with a fekking great tree house all nailed screwed and bolted to three trees (bolts right through) nails everywhere...
    Throughout the wood there are brackets for targets and bits and pieces my kids have made, nailed and screwed all over the place....never seen a problem...them trees are a bit tougher than you think! :D:D
    Having said that, careless use of inadequate screws that snap off in a 'working woodland' are to be avoided, most 5x50 spax screws, used carefully will leave very little damage and unless screwed into a knot won't snap off.
    If in doubt use straps as anyone not happy screwing to trees shouldn't or should ask landowners permission, safety first X :D:cool:

17. blackscale

blackscale Member

If only trees could laugh.....:rolleyes::D:D

18. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Agree with you here. We have some solid 6mm steel brackets that have been there for many years. They are now part of the tree and could never be removed. I do wonder what the sawyers of the future will make of them.

19. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    We at Tawd Vale always screw brackets & bases to the trees in our wood. I've been a member for around five years and this system has been in use way before I joined, our trees look healthy enough. I think that the lead buried in the tree from all my missed shots is more of a worry :( lead is toxic after all ;)

20. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    As a level 3 Reiki master I have communicated with some trees of various species. And they all say it HURTS.