Mounting a FWB800 in new stock

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by mrgeoff, Feb 9, 2019.

1. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    0DCA540D-3C7A-407E-A585-316E72ACB546.jpeg

Hi, im having a new stock made for my FWB800.
    There is a single M5 hole in the bottom of the action, so am looking at how extra to secure the action.
    It was initially suggested to use a cylinder clamp half way up the cylinder, ie the same way as FWB put it into the OEM wooded stock and free float the barrel, but I have recently seen a kit that uses a band round the throat of the barrel (ie at the point the barrel enters the block) to provide that 2nd mounting point.
    The barrel is still free floating for the rest of the length. Does this sound a good way to go? And if so, do I still need a cylinder clamp part way up the cylinder?

Pic attached at top of post

Thanks!

2. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Personally I’d try with the single bolt but make sure that the action is bedded into the stock properly I.e. a decent metal plate epoxied in with the bolt fixing through this.
    I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised how secure this is.
    I certainly wouldn’t put anything around the barrel to secure the action, you will affect the harmonics without a doubt.

Darron likes this.
  3. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Oh, the M5 hole is towards the front of the trigger block, on the edge of the radii just at the point the taper starts to transition into the bigger section.
    Adding a flat plate here will be pointless as it will be 25mm long, and allow the action to tip rearward?

The rifle shot like a laserbeam with the Metal stock that clamped the barrel half way down, this is the worst thing ever according to the internet so surely any other solution as suggested will be better?
    And with the barrel clamped at the throat, effectively shortening the free floating section a little, the natural frequency will be a little higher too?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Ah sorry thought they were being sensible and had the fixing point on the flat after the slope. Well that makes things a lot more complicated.
    Maybe see if you can pick up the standard reservoir band and utilize this in your new stock leaving the barrel completely free-floating.

5. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    If you fix the barrel anywhere it will cease to be floating and therefore should be avoided

C.Eaton likes this.
  6. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    My thoughts entirely Daz...

Darron likes this.