Most Appropriate Scope for BSA Ultra

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by heidi, Aug 17, 2014.

1. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    No doubt this has been asked before.

What would the most appropriate size of scope to fit a BSA Ultra ? I know the rifle isn't the most ideal rifle for FT but it managed yesterday to knock down at 40 yrds with a 4x32..

Heidi

2. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    scope

magnification or objective lens?

3. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    To do what with?
    Is this still in relation to trying to use the Ultra for FT??

4. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    Appropriate Scope BSA Ultra FT

Both and yes for now I intend on using the BSA Ultra for FT that is until I can acquire something a little more suitable

As I've just had to buy a replacement 10m target rifle an FT one will need to wait a little.

Heidi

5. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    It is going to be a big high mag scope then as it will need to be capable of range finding.

What is your budget as this will greatly affect your FT scope options. A big Nikko is pretty much always a safe bet as an farily "easy" FT scope to use. It is a big heavy lump of a scope though.

6. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    scope

plus 1, big nikko well documented and used in FT.

7. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    Scope

Budget up to £200

What do you recommend ? I'm guessing nothing smaller than 40-50mm objective as for magnification ?

8. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    You may struggle to find a scope that will be properly up to the job for that sort of money.

Are you able to support the gun in a stable way and also use a scope sidewheel at the same time?

I would guess that side PX rather than something with front AO would be easier?

You might find a Hawke Sidewinder 8-82 or a Viper 8-32 for your budget, but can't say I have used either.
    For a big Nikko you are realistically going to be looking at £300+

There is a new BSA side focus Quarry King 8-32 for about £130 but no idea what they are like. SOme people have found that they have dropped lucky and found a ZOS scope from fleabay etc that works for them.

Your are going to need mag above x32, and most scopes like that will have a fairly large objective lense at 50mm+

I am sure that there will be shooters on here who have good experience of budget FT scopes who will hopefully pipe up. :)

9. chloe

chloe Member

Club:
    castle
    Small Rifle

Have used a 32 mag then a 50 mag on a rifle about same size as an Ultra worked well. Perhaps be best to try a big scope on your Ultra before you buy one . As you are new to FT be better to try a few scopes and get a few people to look at anything you are considering.

10. mjoh

mjoh Member

Club:
    Broadlands A.R.C.
    Heidi
    Dont buy a scope yet - Come along to Broadlands again and see the range that members are using and talk to us. Nobody will mind you having a look through their kit. Members have everything from 3-9 to 12-80x and most things in between.

11. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    Scope

Hi that's what I was intending on doing before spending out loads and knowing my luck I'd buy something that was totally useless for what I want and wouldn't sit ok on whatever rifle I end up with.

I will be there on Saturday

Heidi