MK - 3 in wet weather

Discussion in 'Daystate' started by what barn door, Mar 22, 2015.

1. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Hi,

I have a MK3 with a good scope and enjoy shooting with this rifle, so much so that maybe I would use it in the HFT that I plan to start shooting soon. One thing that stops me doing that is the fact that it uses electronics to regulate and fire the shot.

What do I need to do to make it water/weather proof?

Many thanks,

WBD

2. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

The pcb's they have is something they callled 'conformal coating' to give them a degree of weather proofing, on all but the very earliest mk3's.
    You can spray some electronics silicone spray over the pcb for more peace of mind, as I did.
    The main problem isnt the elctronics getting damp or wet (they will still work fine), but the hammer going rusty, as they are normally run dry without any oil/lube.
    To oil the hammer would cause poor consistency, so thats out. However, its not hard to open the back of the rifle up to extract and clean it from time to time.
    You'll only have to clean the hammer if you notice the consistencey goes to pot, otherwise leave it be.

I really wouldnt worry about using your rifle for hft when it rains. Loads of my mates are still using them and doing very well with them, despite their age. They must be the most common out-of-production rifle in use, its not unusual to see several at a hft shoot :)

3. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    At one HFT, I got my Mk3 so wet that there were small "puddles" in the inletting in the stock that the pcb sat in. It also ruined the stock finishing. The gun was absolutely fine :)

4. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    My mk3ftr has been wetted several times in the last 7 years.
    Its fine,

5. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Brings new meaning to turning your Daystate on! :D

6. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d

7. CoolId

CoolId New Member

My Mk 3 had problems in extreme conditions twice; on both occasions it wasn't the board or the batteries, but drops of water in the trigger mechanism. I could actually turn the gun upside down and blow (literally) around the trigger and it worked until the next droplet formed

8. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    As everyone has said, they're fine in the wet, I've had a couple in the past (a Model B and a Model C/D) and both of them have been shot in the pouring rain. (proper pissing it down)

What I would recommend though is after shooting in heavy rain, it's a good idea to strip down the hammer/solenoid and wipe off the solenoid return spring. Although I didn't have a problem shooting in the rain, I have had a problem a few weeks later when rust developed on the return spring.

It's not a particularly difficult job to do, there's probably instructions somewhere on t'interweb.

9. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    As everyone has said, there is no issue with a Mk3 in the rain, however, if it was going to chuck down, I always ran a thin line of vaseline between the stock and the action.

This stopped any water from running down inside the gun.

Chilly

10. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Thanks

Wow thank you to all that have contributed. I will start to use it more now and just keep an eye on it, I like the idea sealing it with grease/vasoline as well.

Thanks,

WBD

11. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Member

I'll dig out the Guide to Mk3 Versions that I wrote some time ago.

It's been a while since I read it but it should have some detail on the level of protection offered on the various versions, IIRC the C-version had an upgrade...

[Here you go]. HTH

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015