Mil-Dot or Dial

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by thesmokindog, Aug 4, 2009.

?

Mil-Dot or Dial your scope

1. Mil-Dot

54 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Dial

72 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. thesmokindog

thesmokindog New Member

Club:
    Castle FTARC
    Hi

I'm still learning the Field Target game, although I am getting better scores (except in the wind) but I just wondered, I have been dialing in my scope and wouldn't mind giving the Mil-Dots a try. How many of you shoot Mil-Dot or dial your scopes..

Stay safe all
    Andy

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I find that aiming off for wind, and aiming up and down at the same time is too much for me, so i dial. That way I also know if something isn't going exactly where I dialed.. i don't find mildots accurate enough for that... but others might be better at using mildots... some of the SFT & HFT mob have it down to a T.

3. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Dial every time & 2 lines for wind with the occasional dot !

4. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I only shoot HFT/SFT mate so use milldots for hold over/under all the time. Like you I'm getting better with practise and have had my best season yet so far but plenty of practise is what it takes and I still need some more;) I wouldn,tlike to say that one is more accurate than the other really it's the person behind the trigger that makes the difference. I've seen some of the top HFT boys and AA grade FT shooters coming in with similar scores on a course where both techniques have been used.

Keep practising:):)

Dave

5. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

In the past when ive dabbled with FT i found that on the higher mag scopes that anything above 30mag led to running out of dots at longer ranges. With my last big Nikko I used 50mag for ranging and then shot at 30mag to use dots and, at 55yd, the bottom thick post. I feel that dialing is the way to go if the scope is reliable enough to cope with it and if your brain can cope (mine struggled:D)

6. Rik ochet

Rik ochet Its my skunk, I saw it !!

I only shoot HFT and SFT so I use the mil dots well lines on my scope :D I think either way works you just need to put in the practise. Not keen on the knob twiddling :rolleyes:
    I think once you are comfortable with your own set up then what ever is best for you it's all personal.

(Waiting to get slapped by a few FT shooters I know :D )

7. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    in my eyes if dots were better no one would dial ;)

but people do equally well with both systems

its all about what is better for you :D

8. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

I didn't realise any FT shooters used mil dots as I thought you all dialled - in , ah well ya live and learn .

atvb

Dave

9. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Dave,
    I rather suspect that there has been quite a few that have voted that don't do full blown FT. I've never done any FT comp where anything like 50% of competitors, including the SFTers, are not dialing.;)
    Some may mix and match a little using dots for windage and occasionally hold over/under for certain shots though.

10. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

I guessed as much Chris , I have only shot FT once with a bushnell 10x40 so it was mil dot guesswork all the way . lol Still enjoyed it though .

atvb

Dave

11. RobF

Club:
    Yep, i'd say 99% of FT shooters on the GP circuit are dialing. There's a few odduns using bracketing etc or holding over with mildots or lines, but most will be dialing...

12. martin c

martin c New Member

hft or ft

firstly i have never shot ft or sft and have only been shooting hft for a short time but as it seems to me that the rules don't allow dialling in hft so anyone on an hft shoot will use mil-dot or something similiar but if as most people say that with practise diallling is more accurate then i can only assume that most ft'ers will and do use that system.

so is it a case of hft= mil-dot
    ft= dialling

13. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

turret twiddling for me

I do use the lines on the nato ret for wind allowance (both left and right, but also up and down)

ATB

Phil

14. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I'm a knob twiddler too though once or twice when thoroughly soaked through or steamed up & parallaxing becomes no longer an option, I've found that dropping the mag down to X10 & putting my clicks in for 40 yards then holding over/under will atleast get me a 50 % on average, a good fall back position when all else fails.

15. RobF

Club:
    clean grease free glass mists up a lot slower than dirty glass... the quickest way of getting it to attact mist is to wipe it with your fingers... finger grease is hydroscopic, which means it attracts moisture...

a clean with a proper lens cloth and solution and scopes will mist up a lot less... a microfibre cloth it a good 1/2 way house, but your need to make sure it and the lens is clear of grit/dirt, otherwise you can scratch it, or certainly abraise the coating.

16. richos36

richos36 Member

i know a few FT`ers that hold over and under instead of dialling and have very good results but its all down to personal preference ;)

if you only have 1 minute to shoot 2 targets at different ranges I think hold over/under is a good advantage to have
    if you can do it :eek: :shot:

shaun

ps..I dial :D

17. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Just what I use Rob but there have been occasions, Newbury springs to mind, where I was ankle deep in mud & soaked through but noticably steaming as well ,no glass will resist that. I even put my specs away as they were achieving bugger all. Mid range shots were still achievable with hold over on X10 even though I had to be told where to point the muzzle!:eek:

18. Photoguy2910

Photoguy2910 Member

I shoot both FT and HFT (when I get the time). In FT I dial the scope, but use the dots for the HFT

19. FGYT

FGYT New Member

oks old poll i know
    But i always used Mil dots at 50 mag for FT and Mil dots at 10x mag for HFT (27yrd Para)

only dialed when i had a leup with a 30 30 ret for a short time

heres how my dots add up to my ranges based on my Scope hight / Pellet to give the best fit of trajectory on the Dots if you take the dot spacings you have 5 (using the thick post transition as the 5th dot equiv)

so wth the 5x factor zoom at 10 mag the aim points are scaled down to 1/5th ie 1 dot spacing
    you can also scale to 20mag at 2 dot spaceing 30 to 3 40 to 4 etc but i only use 10 or 50 mag for shooting :D

Simples
    at 50 mag its easy to guestimate the half way point between dots

----------------on 50 x ---------------------------on 10 x
    [​IMG]----[​IMG]

you an also see easily what your error might be if your ranging is off
    here a 40mm Kill at 30m
    [​IMG]-----------[​IMG]

50 mag is murkey cause of the photography not the scope but you can see exactly how much range error you can cope with (wind allowing)

and for HFT (well old school CSFTA rules ) you can easly match the trajectory to objects are differnt ranges that obscure the target ie shoot over the 12 yrd branch that blocks the target and under the 22yrd one :eek:

ATB

Duncan

20. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I used to do the old school way of aiming off when first starting FT in the 90's. Rifle running at 800fps with 7.9 Premiers zeroed for 45yds. This gave me a trajectory of 1" high at 27yds and 1 1/2" at 55yds from the zero.

This meant all I have to do was aim either top, middle or bottom depending on the range. This also made it easier when doing speed shoots as it worked well with any mag. At the time I had 18x max.

I do dial now but if things atart to go wrong I fall back on the 45 yd zero technique, works well on showdown at regional level as I can give a bit mpore time for that longer target. Reason I dial is that it means I am only worrying about left and right rather than left/right or up/down.

Hmm, old school CSFTA HFT shoots in the late 90's were a right laugh. Newbury at winter with targets well over the UKAHFT 45yd max, probably nearer 60/70yds :eek: . You try finding the 40mm circle with a 4x scope:rolleyes: :confused: