Michael Jackson glove

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Grenade, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Grenade

Grenade New Member

Guys,

What's the purpose of the off hand glove. I see many different styles and shapes on you tube. Is there a general preference to manufacturer? I've looked on local supplier website and haven't found any listings.

I also see some competitors wearing an Anschutz style shooting jacket. But everyone does. What are the pros and cons of those jackets.

Sorry for asking basic questions. When I was involved in small bore shooting, I used a padded leather mitt to help distribute the weight of the rifle on the left hand and help absorb tremors to the rifle when shooting standing. We used the shooting jackets to help support the rifle on the offhand position.

From what I can see, the jacket would be too restrictive for FT, as you will always be taking different angle shots at different lanes. Or am I completely off base?

Junaid

2. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I wear a glove which has quite a hard shell as I have several strong pulse points in my hand, this acts like an exoskeleton to support the gun and prevent the pulses from moving the gun. Without the glove, sometimes, depending on the hold I can see my pulse lifting the reticle against the target.

3. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Junaid

Even with my poor standard of shooting the glove on the forehand does make a positive difference, taking out some of the vibration and no doubt pulse etc...

As for the jackets, no idea!

4. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    The glove is a off hand benefit - stiff in make up it helps support the rifle when the correct position is taken which is meant to be bone on bone to take out movement - by that I mean gun with weight supported by forearm and wrist working as one, rested on the hip and weight transferred through to ground with straight leg etc. Think triangles and there natural supporting structure.
    It also aids in height of presentation for standers allowing target to be addressed from above to settle and fire on correct sight picture.
    Final benefit is as stated above to take out any possibility of pulse affecting sight picture.
    A good structured glove aids in many ways.
    The jacket in FT is usually only really used correctly in standers again - it has to be fastened tightly so restricting movement. It is worn by a few top class FT shooters but is undone mostly and always for sitting and mostly kneeling I believe - it is not called a gimp coat for nothing. Again in 10m air the jacket, trousers and indeed flat soled boots enable a stiffer repeatable platform to be formed and aids repeatable presentation.
    In prone Rimfire etc the jacket coupled with a sling locks the rifle in firmly and again aids the formation of triangles of support in the prone position etc.

kr

5. buzz

buzz Team Gilly

Club:
    Castle FTC
    Mine keeps me hand warm:D

6. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    of course it does that as well!:lev

7. Tiger

Tiger Member

I suffer from being one of those who cannot resist trying something (affordable) that might improve my shooting.

I know "practice, practice, practice", but the improvements have diminished over time (in fact, age and fitness are getting to be a negative factor). Sometimes a step change can be made via mental belief and it is those I enjoy trying.

So, what glove do people consider worked for them and why?

Thanks

8. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Anschuntz. Various models.mthd 101 is good.

9. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Another vote for Anschutz here. If I chose again I would go with fingerless version rather than full finger - helps with the loading etc. It is hard to pick up anything with a full structured glove on. Taken them on and off is a pain as they are by nature pretty tight etc.
    kr

10. Grenade

Grenade New Member

I have a padded leather mitt for the left hand from my smallbore shooting days. Will this work as well as a shooting glove?

Junaid

11. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I would recommend the Anschutz style fingerless too, having the finger tips exposed and remaining usefull is a big help.

12. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hi

In your weather I would be done up like the Michelin man! Feel the cold at my age.

On a serious note, your mitt will probably do the job for FT and HFT. But you may miss the stiff structure for the standers or any precision rifle work off hand.

re reading this - I just await the comments!!!!

I was reading an article in one of the big mags - I think I remember Mark Camoccio saying he sourced his glove from Canada. MAY BE WRONG memories fading. If I find the article will let you know name of glove maker.
    kr