Metallic silhouettes

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by flyfisher, May 27, 2012.

1. flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Hello,

In France we would like to introduce metallic silhouette shooting( with Airguns) in parallel of the field target competitions.
    To test this new ( for us) shooting sport in the best conditions, I have some questions to ask you about the right equipment to have.

Which telescopic sight do you use for this? ( to start i would like to buy a 300 £ max scope)
    What s the max scope magnification currently use for silhouette shooting?
    What kind of rifle ( single shoot or multi )?
    What s the max rifle weight to have a stable standing position (not too tiring for a guy not really sporty) ?

thanks in advance

;)

2. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    As far as I am aware - here in the uk we just shoot the silhouettes with whatever gun / scope setup we want.

As long as it is within the legal limit then you are fine.

I prefer to shoot a heavy single shot FT gun with the scope set to 20 mag.

Dave.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  3. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

With regards to weight its whatever feels comfortable for you,what feels right for one person will be totally wrong for another.You need to experiment with putting weight on different parts of the gun,then see if it steadys your aim,e.g adding weight to the barrel or weight to the rear of the gun-the butt area,you will get a much better set up if you use a field target gun as opposed to a hunting gun,simply because you will be able to get the gun to fit you much better,rather than you trying to adapt to fit the gun.
    It's then a matter of putting hours of practice in,start of on say the pig's at 30yds and build your confidence up.
    Happy shooting mate and good luck!

4. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Under the American rules, there are different classes for different weight's of rifle and strict rules about stock depth, scope, trigger pull weight etc etc.

But, if like us you want to have it as a shoot alongside your main FT shoot, then I'd suggest you just allow shooters to use whatever they currently use for FT.

You'll have a better chance of getting the sport off the ground if people can just use what they already have without having to invest in more kit.

5. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    btw - if you need good quality vector images of the silhouette plates drop me a PM (SVG, EPS, AI etc)

Also if you need a good quality PDF of each of the target shapes to 1/10 scale (the scale we use for Airguns) let me know, I've got that as well.

6. flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Thank you all