EFTA Media interest ?

Discussion in 'WFTC 2019' started by MikeSeago, Aug 13, 2019.

1. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Sloth like member

Was there any interest from the local media about the event ? Local papers, local TV ?
    Anything ?

2. dusty57

dusty57 Member

Club:
    broadlands arc
    somehow i dought it mike ,guns is a four letter word

Gary Martin likes this.
  3. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    now that's the truth!

4. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    They never cover events where Air Guns are in use.:(

5. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    they cover 10 meter at the olympics and the biathlon , if its anything like muay thai then they will only accept 1 governing body, anyways whilst we are shooting tin animals instead of other targets i just cant see it catching on, the animal targets will have to go because of the PC BRIGADE if we want field target in the mainstream

Ste Hughes likes this.
  6. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Not sure about the EFTA site and STB but PoP is on 50K views in 5 days. Old media is dead, FB, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Youtube is where our audience is not in The Wakefield Echo.

MickyFinn, DazF, silvergould and 3 others like this.
  7. garym

garym Active Member

Give this old guy a clue.;). PoP is what!? I like to keep up with modern times, just sometimes, I need a nudge in the right direction.:D

DazF likes this.
  8. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    PoP is Pellet on Pellet found here Home - Pellet On Pellet - Field Target

mod23 and garym like this.
  9. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Member

Club:
    Tawd Vale
    Facebook and social media in general seem like the solution that we can all get behind, but only until these platforms decide they don't want any content related to guns. Facebook shut down some groups recently for selling guns and a lot of YouTube channels were terminated because they featured some footage of hunting.

You're completely at their mercy and all these companies are based in a 50 square mile area in a very anti-gun left wing part of America who all live in an echo chamber and literally think they are doing the world a favour by censoring content to do with guns because everyone around them thinks the same and they assume the entire world feels the same.

Even the Olympic coverage is usually online only rather than on TV and I don't think it will be long before shooting is removed completely. The IOC seem to be slimming down the number of shooting events in favour of action sports like surfing, BMX, skateboarding and speed climbing. The 2022 commonwealth games (to be held in Birmingham) seem to have dropped shooting completely from competition.

Shooting is not the most TV friendly sport in the world which probably has something to do with it, but the PC people also seem to be against those that shoot paper circles.

Simon H, nat and Conor like this.
  10. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Sloth like member

It is true that STB and PoP are popular but it is very unlikely that they are being seen, or read by people who are not deliberately looking for them. Surely an International event that was well run and was safely run is the perfect place that we could get the ‘word out’ to the general public and maybe inspire some interest. Yes there will be some that are ‘outraged’ and will send a letter into the editor to complain but hey there could be some that would like to find their local club and give it a try.
    Just sayin

11. garym

garym Active Member

gdavison likes this.
  12. Scarborough shooter

Scarborough shooter Active Member

Club:
    York
    well pete's Ft photos which has only just been started the other week reached over 23000 people on FB during the worlds

ianspire, DazF, johnharper and 3 others like this.
  13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    We did contact local press initially but didn't get anything back. To be honest though we became too busy to follow it up.

The media aspect of the event is becoming a considerable task in itself. Pete's FT TV I thought was the biggest leap I've seen. The potential for that is huge.

14. SteveC200

SteveC200 Well-Known Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Live streaming is becoming a big thing in niche sports. I used to be involved in Drifting (the sideways motorsport) and spectator numbers at the events were always fairly unimpressive but now all the major championships from various countries live stream their events and get viewing numbers that just aren't possible at the event. I'm not sure that FT is quite ready for that though, unless we start using exploding targets or something to make it more of a spectacle. o_O

Welsh Wizard and Ste Hughes like this.
  15. Scarborough shooter

Scarborough shooter Active Member

Club:
    York
    we had my explosive commentary lol

RobF, DazF, eggie and 1 other person like this.
  16. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    yes we did , when i missed my only positional on day 2, i got a round of applause,, ive sent my letter in dont worry :D:D:D:p

17. wrecker

wrecker 2018 British Champion. Member of the 50 Club

Club:
    Castle
    Here's a few vids I made of the whole experience.
    Follow
    wreckers1

on YouTube

You may also want to follow on YouTube

Andy Mason

And

Colin Eaton

Who both make some excellent videos from FT shoots

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Steviek, DazF, Ste Hughes and 4 others like this.
  18. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I think 3yrs ago I would have agreed but a niche within a niche has to find its own feet and I really couldn’t see the Sheffield Star making any difference. The same goes for most of the Airgun press, of which, not a single one showed up. They’ve little to no interest in events because I’ve written for 3 of them and tried. I did get asked to write about the event but they needed it Monday, which was unreasonable and unpaid.

I’m also not sure why anyone would think the public would be outraged, not sure where that comes from but it’s a bit like BASC constantly referring to Chris Packman as an extremist, a pointless meme repeater sound byte.

I think there are better ways to attract people to the sport, that are more focussed and will have a higher conversion rate than being yesterday’s chippy paper. PoP and STB knock most of the Airgun press into a cocked hat over ABC numbers and we are world wide so for me that’s where the future is.

19. silvergould

silvergould New Member

Club:
    duchy
    i did do an interview with mark camociao he took a few pics of me evo and asked about how i thought the event was going thing is i recognised him but first i thought to myself what the feck is piers morgan doing at the worlds then the penny dropped before i opened my gob ,but was surprised none of the glossy air mags were there but they seem to be obsessed with squirrels and hft ha ,good job we have air arms suppoting us and thomas and steyr ,shmidt and bender ,

DazF likes this.
  20. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Airgun World were there, we've got a 4 page article in the next issue :)

Adam, Steviek, nat and 3 others like this.
  21. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Mark writes for Gun Mart / Shooting Sports (as I used to), so there may well be a write up. I used to do a piece on the BFTA Europeans every year and also did the Welsh World Championships. I did similar pieces when I moved to CompAir.

Regarding the perception of shooting in this country. The Commonwealth Games in Birmingham will have no target shooting events, they have dropped them all as they would have to be held at Bisley and the event organisers said that this did not benefit Birmingham. But, they have not dropped all the track cycling events, these will either be in the Olympic velodrome in London, or possibly the Manchester velodrome (I don't know which, but they are the two most likely). So, what benefit is that bringing to Birmingham? There is a huge aversion to anything 'shooting' related in the press in this country, we really are better off being a niche within a niche.

MickyFinn, mod23 and Welsh Wizard like this.