Massive sidewheels

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Knockedover, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

As with any event I've thoroughly enjoyed looking through the pics of the recent FT Worlds but one of the things I noticed was the extreme sizes of sidewheels some of the foreign shooters are using!! So it got me thinking, I can see that the larger the wheel the larger the range gaps and the more accurately you can gauge the distance, so my question is with the bigger wheel theoretically being an advantage why aren't they so popular with UK shooters? Just a question out of curiosity more than anything :D:D

2. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    On the face of it a large sidewheel offers advantages of greater resolution (the gap between 50-55 yards you always hear about) BUT with size comes weight and with weight comes inertia. What that practicly means that if you spin the wheel quickly to snap the focus in then the wheel builds up inertia and overshoots the point where the "snap" is optimal, in laymans terms leading to an inaccurate reading, therefore defeating the purpose of having such a large sidewheel in the first place.

3. Jon

Jon Member

Decent scopes dont have inertia.
    Larger wheels offer no advantage in fact its the opposite as you have little control or its harder to do so. Gaps are meaningless without control.
    The perceived gap size is often misinterpreted as being better with newbies, its still going to line up exactly the same place if it can be controlled by a good design.

4. rick

rick New Member

Got to agree with that statement. Front parallax like the 8x32 Bushnell and Burris arn't blessed with wide gaps, but work very well for some shooters. I like big wheels because I'm lefthanded and it makes using them a lot easier.

5. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Here is a novel idea - not sure how well it works :)

[​IMG]

Dave.

6. simona

simona Active Member

It was strange.

Once the wheels get to a certain size the increased potential for resolution is not matched by the actual rangefinding ability of the scope - what's the point of being able to resolve range differences of a foot when the scope will only range to a yard and a half? In repeated rangefinding efforts on one target the large differences in where the wheels stop also fool users into thinking they have a problem, though the real world range difference might only be a yard or two. I'm sure super-large wheels induce uncertainty in rangefinding rather than solving any problem.

It's like having a speedo in your car which uses feet per hour insted of miles!

Add to this that they are fragile and often have to be removed to allow the gun to be put in the bag and there is just no point!

7. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Maybe its just for a leftie???

Seems to be eccentric mounted too.

8. rich

rich Active Member

I had a biggish wheel on the BN1 and being a left handed shot it made things easier, it seemed.

However with the Falcon T35 that I now use, the gap between 50 and 55 is larger with its modest wheel than it was with the Nikko and the big wheel. Coupled to the fact that the T35 likes to focus one way and not hunt for the point of best sharpness, the smaller wheel is ideal.

[​IMG]

9. palmanda

palmanda Member

Club:
    Broadland FT
    That looks like quite a feat of engineering not sure on the knifey thing though?

10. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    The knifey thing is not on the gun / scope ;) it looks like a strap.

Greyskull - it is a leftie thing - I posted it answer to Rick mentioning having a larger wheel as he was left handed and needed to reach over :)

11. palmanda

palmanda Member

Club:
    Broadland FT
    Dohhhhh I see that now

Still a hell of a piece of engineering though :D

12. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I had an 8inch wheel made up for my first FT rig, good for the gaps at the top of the range BUT even though i milled most of the center away it still used to catch the wind:(

[​IMG]