marking up a top turret on springer

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Evo, Jan 4, 2019.

1. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

I've been "practicing" for 20 years with my TX's. I am at the point that I know when I made a good shot and when I didn't. I was recently on here moaning about my bad pellets, until I figured out my scope needed some changes. I had left it, as is, for the last 10-15 years and my eyesight had changed a good bit. I still don't know exactly what I did, but all is much better. I pulled one of my old 2000 model MarkIII's out of mothballs and it seems very good with these pellets. When I set up for click charts, I just zero at 27 yards. I then move in to 12 yards and write down the clicks it takes(29) and then out to 55 yards where I need 52 clicks, at present. The 55 yard groups aren't really tight, but I get a good idea where I need to be. I get many groups that are less than an inch and all around my 55 yard poa, so that's good enough. I then look for an old click sheet, I have very many, that have numbers that match my 12 and 55 yard real world numbers. I even know about what velocity I'm shooting by the 1/8th min. clicks needed for the 55 yard shot. I'm right on 800, with Exacts 8.44, but I don't have a limit like you.

2. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    well chaps, ive been doing some serious pellet testing with the Tx after the advise i was given,

8.4,s and 11 different dies, grouping inside a 20mm kill with them but all over the kill and not what i would call consistent groupin, i even tried Brians tip of resting the rifle on my front hand and if im honest i can honestly say i could not see a difference really, i spent a couple of hours with it and in the end decided to try some lighter pellets through it,

BINGO,,,,, instantly there was a massive difference , clover leaf groups, problem was with this pellet the poi changed by 10 mm in height approx, it was actually shooting 10mm high, ???? its chronoing very tight which is really impressive, i made a couple of clicks adjustment and there it was, pellet on pellet clover leaf at 35yrds, what a difference to the groupings using this lighter pellet has made,

now this thing can shoot, i was beggining to wonder what the hell i had to do to get this thing to shoot 2 pellets in the same place, but now with the 7.9s its actually shooting really well,

if i do MY BIT the gun performs superb to 45yrds which is all ive been testing it to, might take it to emley at the weekend and give it a whirl, but so far these lighter pellets are certainly proving their worth only problem is,,, do they move more in wind like hagues do

MickyFinn likes this.
  3. Alanok2002

Alanok2002 Member

Club:
    Redfearns
    Ive always used jsb express in mine

4. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

In my tests, the 7.9gn pellets started to move at a cylinder pressure 50psi lower than the 8.4gn, and accelerated more quickly to a higher muzzle velocity, which means that the lighter pellet exits the muzzle earlier in the surge stage of the recoil cycle.

Recoil is very consistent shot to shot, less so surge, so it could be that the earlier pellet exit makes the most of the recoil cycle of your rifle.

MickyFinn and Adam like this.
  5. Evo

Club:
    you totally lost me after " in my tests" :D:D:D

Alanok2002 and eggie like this.
  6. Malcolm lockhart

Malcolm lockhart Member

He means the pellet has left the gun before the full effect of the recoil has taken place.

Evo likes this.
  7. Nomads HFT

Sorry about that :D

Let's try; the rifle is in motion from the moment you pull the trigger until the pellet exits the muzzle. The 7.9gn pellets exit the muzzle earlier than the 8.4gn, so the rifle moves less.

MickyFinn likes this.
  8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    You'll probably lose him at "from the moment you pull the trigger..."

... with Bob its in motion before, during and after.

9. Evo

Club:
    give me just a tidge of credit Rob, i am trying at shooting on the dark side,,,eh that might be it ,,,, dark so i cant see :D:D:D:D

10. Sake-San

Sake-San La Vieille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    Before you embrace Express (which I like very much but, for me are very unpredictable in any meaningful wind) try some AA Field, typically softer composition than jsb’s and usually giving a significant efficiency upgrade (velocity) in a springer vs jsb’s. I think it was Nick G that initially pointed me that way.

11. RobF

Club:
    I was giving you credit Bob.

I could have said your problem with marking up a top turret could be down to your super scope handling abilities :D

Glad you are getting somwhere. :)

12. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Or use AA express, best of both worlds........? That's what I'm using currently. Tbf though I'm only shooting out to 45yrds usually so the 7.9 unpredictability is less noticeable. I WILL be using them at the Paul James British Recoiling Champs though.

13. Nomads HFT

Deleted.

Wrong pellet.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  14. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Jim, I'm using AA Express not exacts (from 2013 vintage) that are short like you say BUT have a very deep hole in the back thst goes all the way into to domed head. Most (but not all) of the jsb express I've seen have a shallower hole in the back....?

15. Nomads HFT

Sorry, Mick - I typed Exact when I meant Express. :oops:

MickyFinn likes this.
  16. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I'm pretty sure every JSB Express pellet I've ever shot in the last ten years has the short and squat profile of the pellet on the right. The one on the left is unmistakably the profile of the 8.4g JSB Exact or AA Field family of pellets.

I think "family" is a better word as there are clearly many dies in use over the years with variations on the basic shape, even within nominally the same pellet brand.

MickyFinn likes this.
  17. Nomads HFT

You're absolutely right, Adam. The JSB pellet came out of a part-used tin I was given which was supposed to be Express, but I've just weighed one and it is indeed an Exact.

Adam likes this.
  18. RobF

Club:
    To further confuse... there's JSB Premiums... which are 8.4, but short like an Express.

19. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    There's also 'JSB Shorts' - which look like an Express but weigh 8.4 too

RobF likes this.
  20. Evo

Club:
    so on the shorts Brian, where is the weight is it the thickness or is it the density of the lead/tin/whatever content ????

with my ftp barrel this may sound daft but i have always found it prefers a lose pellet, the tighter it is to push a pellet in the barrel the worse my groups appear at 50mtrs, but that also goes with the longer and deeper the recess in the back of the pellet the better it groups , strange but true