marking up a top turret on springer

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Evo, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    ok guys and gals, pref springer shooters,

im after some advice,

due to being a pcp shooter since i took up this highly enjoyable and addictive sport of field target shooting i have decided to give springer shooting a go, now this might sound stupid to some but im a bit flummoxed ha ha

how do you springer guys mark up your top turret ??? reason im asking is this, ive put the scope on the rifle, which already has the side wheel marked up to 60yrds, i put a target card out at 35 yards and ive got the rifle shooting inside a 10mm bull, ok now for the hard bit, the pellets are all not in the same hole like my pcp they are around the bull, what i did with the pcp was draw horizontal lines across a piece of paper then would shoot at a mark on the horizontal line and adjust my top turret until the pellet consistantly landed on it, then i would mark my top turret at that distance and repeat the process at all distances, long winded yes but is this how i do the springer also ???? because its not as bloody easy to keep them on the line lol

any help appreciated in setting this boinger up for the paul james

2. EV2UK

EV2UK Active Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Probably learn to shoot it better? :D

3. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    Try some better pellets...

jamy and Darron like this.
  4. Scarborough shooter

Scarborough shooter Member

Club:
    York
    learn to put the pellets in the same hole :p
    in fairness I used to be able to do 7mm kill at 32 yard with mine.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I would use some masking tape and a permanent marker to mark up my top turret.
    A nice fine tip Sharpie will do the job nicely.

Gary Martin likes this.
  6. Evo

Club:
    i see most of the replies are of no use what so ever so far from the pcp brigade:rolleyes: :p

Conor, ive got the small transfers with the distances to put on, the problem i have is keeping it consistently on the horizontal line,,,, can i rest the rifle on my cushion to do it or will this just make the boinger jump all over the place,

i,m new to this springer lark but at least i,m having a go, and yes its for a good cause, i,ll just have to persist with what i,m doing now, its not far off but certainly not as easy to do as a pcp

wheres Mr Samson when you want him :D:D:D

7. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    Been shooting springers longer than I’ve shot pcp’s, most of the current top shots couldn’t hit **** with a springer,try some different pellets my tx200 shoots well with air arms express 7.9s...doesn’t shoot the 8.4s that well

8. Evo

Club:
    i,ll give it a try but wasn,t too keen on using a lighter pellet, much prefer an 8.4gr, but if it helps so be it , cheers bud

9. Evo

Club:
    this is a group at 35yrds, not bad i thought for my first attempt at a group, its from a sitting position also thats a 10 mm bull
    2 upload_2019-1-5_0-32-33.png

10. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

Idve thought that after shooting a couple of groups at each range, and deciding youre crap with a springer, you just mark the turret for the centre of average height.

11. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Been shooting springer for years, shooting FT springer for just over a year.
    For me it all comes down to average group centre, thus far more pellets required at each distance 6-7 minimum. Thats a lot of pellets, so do it in 2-3 sessions so you dont get too tired as then the results will be useless.
    Cover all distances 2-3 times - to get a rough zero / graph I sometimes only do say 10/15/25/35/45/55 to keep the number of shots down if doing it in a single session.
    Then plot the averages, to again get a nice average best fit curve, then take the range markings off your graph. (I usually graph mildots, but its the same for dialling)

Dont shoot the rifle in any different way, or off a bag, as you know the rifle will jump/move different.

Geoff.

12. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Which rifle MrEvo ?

13. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    When I first started with the springer , my groups were similar to yours, so I used chairgun to create a turret tape . to give me a base line , then as I improved I adjusted the tape to suit, now I can group well or should I say better. I can set all my ranges up to 50 with reasonable certainty, and then as the group opens up a bit at 50 &55 take an average . I spoke to one of the top springer shooters who said it had taken him almost a year to get his 45yd mark to where he was happy with it, so patience is vital as its an on going thing . Then the temp will drop and you will be doing it all over again :mad:

Evo and Gary Martin like this.
  14. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    A Steyr

15. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

Not quite the same as I shoot HFT not FT, but similar issue, working out holdovers.
    At 35 yards and more I can't group the pellets well enough to definitively say what the hold over is. So I just take an average, and check again every couple of months.

Now I have a new system though. I've got a bell target with different size holes in. I'll set the target out and shoot 20 pellets, counting how many times I ring the bell. Then try a slightly different hold over and repeat. Whichever one gives me the most bells rung is what I will use in comps.

Maybe this could work for marking your turrets. Try 20 shots at a rough guess of clicks. Then add or remove a click each time. Wherever you rung the most bells out of 20, mark it.

It also helps that ringing a bell is more fun than shooting paper which IMO is soul destroying

MickyFinn likes this.
  16. steve1000

steve1000 Member

Club:
    Wendover, North Oxon
    I have just set one up for the Paul James, and like you I struggled but had 10 shots at each range , where the majority landed that was my mark for that particular range . Good luck :D

17. Evo

Club:
    thanks for the replies lads, it looks like its gonna be a long road, but have to say i,m enjoying it,

as asked it a TX200 boinger, thats what im setting up,, i have just shot it in earnest today and ive clearly got a long ,,, well very long road to go till i get this springer shooting off to a tee, i shot 24 targets today on a tricky coarse and Hit 10,, all different ranges out to 55 yrds and i even hit the 15mm reducer set out at 30yrds lol, missed a few over 50yrds going slightly high so there is a long way to go but with the time and effort i,ll put into it , i will get there thats for sure, even though most people think i,m mad,

really enjoyed shooting a course with it today and the first lesson i,ve learnt is this springer game is defo all about the hold and repeating it time and time again,

steve1000 likes this.
  18. Alanok2002

Alanok2002 Member

Club:
    Redfearns
    Have you even put enough pellets through the gun yet to lead the barrel

19. Evo

Club:
    lead the barrel ????? I dont believe in all that garbage,, it either shoots or it doesnt, the barrel has had plenty through it

Brian.Samson, biwain and pbrown like this.
  20. FTJimH

FTJimH Devonshire Dumplin, and a big one at that.

Club:
    Buckley Wood, Quarry
    Just do like 6-7 shots and use an average marker. As long as you can knock over the smallest kill zone at that range which i believe to be 25mm then your fine. As long as the pellet hits the killzone it doesn't really matter where in the killzone

Chunks

Ripley likes this.