MARCH the good choice ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by flyfisher, Sep 16, 2013.

1. flyfisher

flyfisher Member

hi,
    I want to buy a telescope sigth MARCH.
    like this is a big investment for me, I prefer to ask a few questions before ordering.

I have two posible choice:
    - "March Tactical 8-80 x 56mm with "MTR-1 Illuminated reticle or "MTR FT" reticle http://marchscopes.com/tactical-8-80-x-56.html "for Euro 3600 in germany

- other way "March 10-60 X 52" for 2700 euro.

My questions are:

what is the March best reticle for FT?
    Is the price difference between the X60 and X80 magnification justified?

Where to buy one of these scope for the lowest price and best service?

Thank you in advance for your informed responses

Robert

2. Jon

Jon Member

The 10-60 and the 8-80 models are totally different mechanically.

The X 80's start at £2550 up to £3037 depending on ret and whether IR or not.
    The FT ret is same price as MTR variants so work on that. The lesser cheaper rets cant be upgraded to MTR.

Certainly two years ago UK was cheaper than the German distributor so a D80V56T works out at 3042 Euros whereas the silver IR MTR/FT would be 3624 Euros approx. £100 dearer than the black. Still must be cheaper than all the European distributors as he sells regular.

MTR too cluttered and unusable, far easier when used one to judge size of kill old school and aim off rather than use ret. Therefore the dot like Leup Comp or Diplex they call it good for the job. You will fit at least 7 1/2 dots in a full size kill at 50 yards so imagine what your going to do when giving wind.

Gary as in March UK he has always gone above and beyond the call of duty in terms of service plus he is an ex world F class champ.
    https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/index.php/site-map/march-scopes-uk-price-list

Also theres no perfect scope the 10-60 has many advantages over the X series, whereas the 80 is the ultimate rangefinder bar none.

3. Yoeri_B

Yoeri_B Member

Club:
    Belgian Air Shooters & B/Gwent
    advice

Hey

The advice that pulled me over the line was some from bertty==> if you buy one you will not regret it, and if you buy it and you have been shooting with it, you do not want anything else anymore.

I went for the MTR-FT and I think any Ft-shooter should go with that. (thx to Connor for the design, he can explane the theorie behind it.)

Which one should you choose: In my eyes it depens on the money you want to spend and the weight. But if you go for the big one I would thake the ill. with it, that helps a lot on black targets in german woods.

Greetings Yoeri

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Reticule is down to personal choice. When I bought mine de-plex was best option for me. I'd look at the ft ret now as a possibility.

10-60 is lighter, 30mm tube and cheaper so has some areas it trumps the 80 in. Still rangefinds for me better than anything else except perhaps the 80.

Try both, see how you like them.

5. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Just had an Email off Gary my silver 8/80 with FT ret has arrived
    I looked though Berty's 8/80 with a mtr1 ret I found it to fine for me, I then looked Though Justin's 8/80 with the FT Ret and I thought would suit me better so that is what I ordered and Its almost here :D

Gary

6. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    Choices.....

I have just sold a house that has been like a millstone for me :) and I have sold a gun and a couple of sights :p so treat time :D

So my question is almost the same as this thread, which March?

Now I know it is difficult to get a concensus on anything and I know I am asking the same question again but to all the March users or those with experience of March, 10-60 or 8-80?

So I have read as much as I can and I have spoken to Gary C at March (top guy changed a compact scope because I didnt like the ret - no questions asked) one minute you think yes its that one, then the next night read another article and no its the other :eek:o

So some questions:

- Do 8-80 users actually use the 60-80 mag range?
    - What are the mechanical diffrerences between the two (must be more "stuff" in that 34mm tube)?
    - Would you have illumination, have to say I have a few scopes with it but cannot remember needing it?
    - The FT ret is for me looks lovely and clean, but could Conor explain the logic around the spacings?
    - Have read that a guy got an 8-80 and really struggled with the tiny spacings on the wheel, it seems it may have been set up for long range - is that correct
    - The parallax error issues previously discussed, it seems the 10-60 suffers less is that so (although it must be hard to get parralax problems at such high mag with such a small exit pupil?)

So if the whole March range were laid in front of you and you were offered one free which would people choose?

7. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
  8. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    Do 8-80 users actually use the 60-80 mag range? – I use x50 mag and shoot on 30mag (Sitting position) – but I can also range on x40 or x30 mag and it works very well..
    - What are the mechanical diffrerences between the two (must be more "stuff" in that 34mm tube)? – Don t know, you need to ask someone more Technical on scopes than me.
    - Would you have illumination, have to say I have a few scopes with it but cannot remember needing it? – No need for Illumination with the ‘FT ret IMHO
    The FT ret is for me looks lovely and clean, but could Conor explain the logic around the spacings? – ‘FT ret worked well for me on the Sunday at Euros, lines were beneficial in the high wind.
    - Have read that a guy got an 8-80 and really struggled with the tiny spacings on the wheel, it seems it may have been set up for long range - is that correct – Nice size spacing/gaps on mine, but that doesn t matter as it snaps in and out well. Take time to learn the scope if you choose to buy one mate.
    - The parallax error issues previously discussed, it seems the 10-60 suffers less is that so (although it must be hard to get parralax problems at such high mag with such a small exit pupil?) – Parallax issues??

Yes, Gary Costello is a top bloke to deal with.

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    The spacing between the hash lines on the MTR-FT reticle are designed to bracket a 40mm killzone at exactly 50yrds on x40 magnification; 2 lines = 40mm ( a disc) so 1 line = 20mm (1/2 disc).
    It will work exactly on , x10, x20 and x80 you just have to change the ratio to suit I.e. 4 lines at x80 = 40mm.

I have found that disc and half disc are easy reference measurements for wind drift and the hashes can be quickly used on windy days, it is not too cluttered and simple to use. The reticle is thick enough that you don't loose it even in dark forests yet it is not too thick which allows accurate shot placement.

There are a few lines below the cross on the vertical to give you reference marks for 8, 9 and 10yrd targets without the need to dial when using a high scope mount.

Conor

10. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
  11. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    Cheers fellas

Woody

thanks for that info, the pa thing was something Jon said in my Discovering parallax thread:

"Of the 7 attempts at getting a useable 80 they all had pa error which really showed up locked in a vice. Different model the 10-60 even on lowest 10 mag totally out of focus, pa eror is absolutely minimal. Deon ship them out set at 0D, to most that means having to wind eye bell ret focus in approx. 1 3/4 revs, also come optically centred".

I did ask about it but didnt want to push the point.

Conor

I love it, hope they never change the killzone standard sizes :D

12. Conor

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    It doesn't matter if they change the kill sizes, the hashes are a useful reference for wind drift, you can use them to determine, from your experience, a more calculated estimate. The hashes will allow you to measure exactly at 50yrds how much your pellet has drifted regardless of kill size.
    It just so happens that currently 40mm is the standard kill zone size and the reticle will allow you to bracket it on a day when perhaps focusing the parallax is difficult, if it fits exactly between the lines then you know it is 50yrds, incidentally x50 brackets a 55yrd kill zone so that is another useful feature.
    The killzones have been 40mm since the 1980's and I can't see them changing in the foreseeable future. There are a few 45mm out there but they are rare these days.

13. Lol Moore

Lol Moore Banned

Club:
    Ford & Oaks
    Ta

Cheers Conor, at least I know what ret I am having now, just need to decide which scope to wrap around it?

14. Jon

Jon Member

My 10-60 is going back tomorrow for a ret change from 1/8" to a DePlex and focus put to standard spec, who needs monstrous gaps meaningless.

15. NZSteyr

NZSteyr Steyr LG110 + Falcon T50

Club:
    Waikato Airgun Club
    Conor, just wondering, do you generally range on 80x and if not, why not?

Woody, why use an 80x scope if you are going to range on 50x and shoot on even lower power? Surely you could do as well by simply using a 50x scope?

16. Conor

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    I like my pal Woody use x50 to range, sometimes when its tricky and the situation merits it I will use x80. FOV is much smaller and can lead to difficulty finding the target also it can be a tad dark in the forest!

What car do you drive, if its got a 140mph top end speed, why drive at only 70mph?

What fixed x50 scope would you recommend?

The guy (Woody) probably likes the field of view at x30, Simon Ayers likes to shoot on x25 both these guys got 2nd in the Europeans and Worlds. It seems to work well for them.

Do you shoot FT and what scope do you use, also on what magnification?

Conor

17. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    LOL, Cheers Conor.

Off topic now:- Guy s how I look at it is (and I can only talk about my personal experience/thoughts shooting FT):-

You can only score one point per target if the target falls over in FT, you cannot score any points for shooting on the highest mag, you cannot score any points for shooting near to the legal power limit and you cannot score any points for the cleanest pellets with the most consistent weight, with a totally shiny finish, cleaned and lubed, (But finding the correct batch of pellets to suit your rifle will assist you to score points.)

So what I am trying to say is, I really do believe that you have to ‘Find your own way in FT or any sport really. Forums are great, read the topics and take on board some of the ideas of what people are doing.

But then shoot, shoot, shoot and then shoot some more:- club comps, regional level, national level, and you will gain experience and hopefully learn the much needed lessons about your shooting technique, learning your equipment, controlling your head and thoughts through a comp, shooting in the changing elements e.g. wind, heat, rain etc. etc…… Oh yeah and get a BFTA/shooting coach or say a shooting buddy who you can trust and who is totally honest with you, someone who will tell it to you straight if your technique looks shocking.

I believe that you have to be honest with yourself and determine if you are growing as a shooter, have you gained ‘Consistency , because anyone can have a good shoot. But can you now string it all together with another consistent score and another…..and another…….

I am really no expert and I am very much still learning a lot about FT and all the relevant parts of the sport to assist me to hopefully gain a consistent higher level to my shooting ability!

Back on topic, I shoot on x30 mag because I couldn't handle shooting on x80 mag – Simples! :D

But I do use x80 mag for a secret practicing technique on my standing shots that Conor has taught me. ;)

18. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Ahhh Glasshopper ... you shoot at 80x in the dark at 15mm targets and sense the Moment to release the trigger.

.... but do they strike the target? .. only the True Pupil will know when his Master permits such success.

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Once

AS was once said to me by the tripple world champ " Listen , Try , Modify " Wise words ??? HOLLY

PS needless to say , i never listened . still don't

20. flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Hello,

Excuse me in advance, I have a question down to earth.

Where can i buy 34mm weaver silver rings for my future March 8-80. (best price and good quality ).
    Prices in France are horrible:eek:o

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013