MARCH 8-80 question.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Globalstar66, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Guys

I got a new March 8-80x56 this week, and mounted it to my Walther Dominator today.

Got a 4.5" sidewheel made by Jon Harris, and set about marking the wheel and shooting it in.

I have been told by many that the gaps on the sidewheel are huge...mine seem to be VERY small indeed.

Total gap from 10 meters to 50 meters is only 10.5cm and gaps between every 1 meter from 10m and 30 meters is 2mm and from 30 to 50 meters, I marked only every 2 meters, and the gap for every 2 meters, is a very TINY 2mm as well...

Any of you guys with March scopes have this same issue? I have NO idea how the March is re-parallaxed so the gaps become bigger....

My March 8-80x56 currently focuses down to 7,2 meters. I only need it to go to 10 meters for use in South Africa....

It's quite difficult if it's so tiny.

Thanks a million.

Cheers

Robbie

2. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    If you go into Unofficial Manufacturers' Forums you will see photos of Ian harfords walther with his March 80 mag his gaps seem more than 2mm.

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    You'r gaps should be bigger than that pal, you appear to have a dud! I'll give you £1000 for it. :D:D:p
    Conor

4. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Gaps on sidewheel

Robbie,

I set up Ian Harfords with him and the gaps were quite large between distances.

thats the reason I liked them myself and ordered 1. I have got a 4 inch wheel from John and feel that would be ok for the job on these scopes.

fingers crossed the gaps are not that small on any other scopes that are made.

i had a go of another scope same spec in hungary, the gaps were good on that 1 as well??

Berty

5. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Got to admt, I would love to have a look through one of these and compare to m Mk4 Leups

6. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Hi Berty

Hope all is well on your side. Yeah, I'm a little disappointed I must confess. I have a 4 1/2 " JH wheel, and the gaps are really tiny.

My S&B had "fairly" small gaps between 40 and 50 meters, but nothing like this.

The S&B had around 27cm between 10 and 50 meters - this is not even 11cm for the total distance. 11cm is less than 1/4 of the circumference of the 4 1/2 " wheel....

I will contact the factory on Monday and see what can be done...

Cheers

Robbie

7. Jon

Jon Member

Glad i didnt take a punt on that one:D

Been through the various models of each but no listing for yours in metric (milliradians.) Suspect its set up for 1000 yard plus and will need to go back to have the internal lenses altered.

Theres six models for the 10-60 alone, reading between the lines one model applicable.

http://www.ianharford.com/photos/248-my-walther-lg300-and-march-8-80×56/

8. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Jon

Just had a close look at my scope, and compared to the pics of Ian's scope.

They are identical to every marking...

I also looked at the fulle pricelist - there are 3 models 8-80x56, and only one of them has the illuminated ret.

These are the models, and ALL have the tactical turrets:

1) D80V56T non illuminated, and reticle choices are CH, 1/8, 3/32, 1/16
    2) D80V56TM non illuminated, and reticle is MTR-1
    3) D80V56TI illuminated, and reticle is MTR-1

Here's the pricelist attached, with all the models.

There's only ONE 10-60x52 that focuses down to 10 yards and that's D60V52I (BR Indoor), and has a "normal" turret and reticle is either CH, 1/8, 3/32 or 1/16.

I have e-mailed Jim Kelbly and Mr Shimizu at the factory.

Hope they have a good solution.

Cheers, and thanks everyone.

Robbie

Attached Files:

9. Jon

Jon Member

I will see what i can do as well i have close links with UK, Japan and US.

Just noticed looks around 6mm 50 to 55 yards and i and many others could quite hapilly live with that. Was led to believe they were larger though.
    Kept using as a preference the standard supplied Tasco wheel (approx 60mm) over 16 years ago, gaps 3mm 50 to 55 with only those marks could split up within a foot, ask Calps. 4" wheel refocussed to 70 yards total range 10 yards to 55 is 162mm, just had a look.

Half way is 52 1/2 yards, 1/4 way between 51 1/4 yards, not good enough? 1 1/4 yards is 45" (1.14M) Errors will be the same regardless of the spacing.
    If you can repetitively range a target within 1 yard or better i would leave as is. The point trying to make having no actual marks after 50 until 55 you will have to take a dfferent approach, just visualise its easy.

It would be interesting what the Hungarian chaps marking are.

10. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Gaps

Robbie/ Jon,

When shooting Ians scope which I did spend alot of time with, I was happy with the spacings. I ordered a smaller wheel from Jon as feel the spacings will still be enough??

Will have to see and find out eh...

Berty

11. Jon

Jon Member

Ta Berty, roughly how large was the gap from 50 to 55?

12. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    gaps

Jon,

Off hand im not sure i wud say about 5-8mm between 50yds and 55yds. It was big enuf 4 myself to be happy enuf to buy a smaller wheel from urself.

Berty

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    the 10-60x52 has about 4.5mm for the last 5 yds, ie from 45-50m... more than adequate. Needle pointer, job done. Only got marks for 50-55 and you can still tell to the yd...

Snap, not gap.

14. Acki

Acki New Member

For the Worlds in Hungary I tried to take a look in March 8-80 by Ian Harford,
    I was not thrilled rangefinder between 45/50 meters, from a field of application of this magnitude I would have expected something more sincere.

15. RobF

Club:
    how do you mean?

the gaps? or the snap? i thought both were superb... was it on 80x?

16. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    March scope

Rob,

I seem a little amazed by what has been said on this thread, personally, I have owned and tried pretty much all that is out there scope wise. In my honest opinion, I have not looked through a better scope than the March 80x.

That is the reason I have saved and sold kit to buy one for myself. When I helped Ian set his up which he shot the next day at the Welsh Masters, the change in weather (temp wise) was quite alot, it went from approx 11 deg C to 24 deg C. I was comparing the March against my old trustee Weaver and it didnt move one bit.

When setting up the march I was amazed by how clear the picture was, yes at 80 mag it does get a little dark, but you are using 80 mag. Most people cant shoot above 40 mag. the scope itself is stunning, I have bit the bullet and ordered one and cant wait to get it. I have tried all the super ft scopes out there and they dont compare to the March. My opinion mind. We will have to wait and see though eh...

Berty

17. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Berty

Thanks for all the info. It really is appreciated.

I think my expectations were maybe a little "twisted".

Maybe, let me explain my remarks/questions... :)

I tried setting it up on Saturday, and as you know, we have quite bright sunlight. I THINK there could have been more mirage than what I could really see, as I found it difficult to properly focus between 42m and 50m, hence had a struggle to set it up perfectly on the longer ranges - but, as stated, it could have been the light causing that, not necessarily the scope.

When I had heard a number of different people saying the "gaps were huge" I thought that between 10m and 30m there would be HUGE gaps, and that between 30m and 50m the gaps would be less, but still big.

On my S&B, if I measured the total distance on the 5" wheel from 10m to 50m, the tape was 27cm long, so HUGE gaps.

On the 4 1/2" wheel on the March, the total length of the tape from 10m - 50m is only 10.5cm, so the overall gap from 10m to 50m is 40% of that on my S&B.

Even between 10m and 20m, the March's gaps per meter are only 2mm

This I have never seen.

On my S&B the gap from 15m to 16m for example, was around 10mm and now it's 2mm on the March.

I will try the scope again later in the afternoon, when it's cooler and there's less chance of Mirage, and see what it does.

If it SNAPS perfectly, then the 2mm gaps would not bother me...

I have used the following scopes in the past 2 years, and ALL of them with 5" JH wheels, the distance between 10m and 50m has been at least 24cm vs the 10.5cm of my March:

3 x S&B 12.5-50x56
    2 x New Big Nikko
    1 x Sightron S# 10-50x60

I will use it again in different temp/light, and let you guys know what I find. :)

If the gaps are actually small on everyone's March scopes (as seems to be the case), then I'm happy. I just thought because I've been used to the really huge gaps, that when everyone said the March has huge gaps, it would be bigger that the S&B, Nikko and Sightron gaps - now it ends up being 40% smaller in total.

I misinterpreted what you guys refer to as "huge". :):)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Cheers

Robbie

18. RobF

Club:
    :D

yeh, i forget setting up with mirage running... because it's a change in the IOR of the air, it will throw every scope out. Either you can wait until the wind is blowing it away, around 20mph (you dont need to shoot to set ranges) or do it earlier before it's appeared. If you try and range with mirage, you will find even if you have snap, that your ranges will change from second to second.

I think you'll find that the snap is so strong, the gap could be .5mm for a meter and it will be fine. With the sportsmatch pointer and the scope's consistency it's no problem.

I tend to do one turn slowly, that allows me to see what detail is available to resolve. Range on that, read number, then do a fast or slow, read number, then the opposite, read number... dial an send it. I always make sure the last turn is always in the same direction of travel.

I tend to mark the following distances (in yards, but principle is the same) and then just do the rest in my head.

8,9,10, 15, 17.5, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55.

past 30 i wont mark them up every 2.5 yds, but i will work out the clicks roughly for speed to save me doing maths on the shot.

if the gap between 10 and 15 is massive i will do 12.5 perhaps. By massive i mean i might not be able to easily tell the difference between 1/2 and a 1/3rd between.

between 20 and 30 yds i'm flat... 17.5 and 32.5 barely adds anything, only when i get to 15 and 35 is do i start adding any amount of clicks.

For me, gap is not king, snap is.

19. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Due date of March

I had an email of gary costello, he's explained that the scope is leaving japan on the 17th Nov.

I was really hoping to have it before then, I ordered it ages ago just before the Euros and was told 6-8 weeks latest, so it seems it is going to be longer. Im like a kid waiting for xmas morning here.

Well I got no ft scope as the Weaver has died on me and need to get hold of Weaver to see what they can do about that.

The wait continues.

Fair play robbie, you didnt wait long for yours to be delivered....

Berty

20. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

Berts, sorry my friend. I was VERY lucky - I contacted Jim Kelbly, and the only one he HAD, was the 8-80x56 with IR, so i took it. :)

Anyway, here's an update on my story - and it might just have a good ending afterall....

After reading, speaking to people and hearing about the March's "huge" gaps, I obviously assumed that the gaps were in fact HUGE. :)

My S&B's 5" wheel had HUGE gaps. The sidewheel tape (from 10m to 50m) is around 27cm long. The March's 4.5" wheel's tape is exactly 10.5cm long, so around 40% of the size gaps found on the S&B. My Big Nikko (which I sold) and my Sightron's 5" wheels, the tape markings from 10m to 50m are around 25cm long, so gaps just a tad smaller than the S&B.

Anyway, as stated previously, I tried in vain on Saturday to set my new March up. The wind was ripping the targets to shreds, and most of the targets' stainless steel frames were ripped from the ground, and tossed around. I gave up on trying to shoot the turret in at any distance. Then I decided to try and mark the sidewheel - every 1m from 10m to 24m, and every 2m from 24m - 50m.

The heat was a problem, and mirage even more problematic. It was around 32 degrees C, but severe mirage. So much so, that I could not see what was going on on the targets at 50m at 80x mag, or 60x mag, or 40x mag even.

I tried marking the sidewheel as best i could.

Today, I went to Wian's house around 1 hour drive away (he has 60m down his yard), and set about checking the sidewheel from 10m to 50m and shoot all distances marked so I could get the turret sorted.

To my amazement, ALL distances marked from 10m to 50m were SPOT ON. Not even 0.5m out from Saturday's very difficult haze and mirage.

I have attached the photo of the tape I printed. You'll see the distances from 10m to 50m are just 10.5cm in total.

But, what mattered most, was that from my first try on Saturday, and today's try with no mirage, the markings seem to be exactly the same, so, I"M HAPPY!!!!!

I will shoot it Saturday in a comp for the first time, and see how quickly I can learn this new scope. So far, but "sadness" from Saturday has changed to elation today!!!

Thanks to everyone for your kind help - Jon, Berty and Rob especially!!!

Cheers

Robbie

PS: We're DYING here - only early Nov and around 34 - 35 degrees already!!! :)

Attached Files: