Making a scope enhancer

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Brian.Samson, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Seems like there's a real shortage of scope enhancers these days.

I wonder if it would be possible to make one using 'Sugru' and a 3D printed mold?
    Hmm.. I might have a look at some test molds and see if it'll work.

With the size of a scope enhancer printing a full mold is likely to be very expensive - probably looking at about £150 for a mold, but once it's made it can be used over and over again.

Not sure how strong and durable 'Sugru' would be, and it's quite expensive too.

Anyone had any experience with Sugru or any suggestions?

I found this link to a project where someone made a small item using this method.

http://sugru.com/blog/how-to-mold-precise-rubber-parts-with-sugru/

2. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

You could investigate the use of "Eurethane" windcreen adhesive. Its very strong and sets to a very rubber like consistency. Set time used to be 3 hours with a 24 hour fully cured time.

Benefits are it can be piped into a mould with a caulking gun as it comes in cartridges, it does not leave a black rubber ring around your eye once you wash it, and takes on the relief of the mold, so shiny or textured depending on mold.

It used to be expensive but it is very very common now, just beg borrow buy a cartridge from someone that fits/replaces auto windscreens for a trial run, they might even have a part cartridge they are throwing out.

Easy to trim with a stanley blade and a bit of water.

Not sure about any downside.......oh yes, it is really messy straight out of the cartridge so some dexterity is required to avoid getting it over yourself, clothes, door handles, benchtops and ultimately the Mrs......:D Clean up excess easily with kerosene on a cloth.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  3. Steveglass

Steveglass Non member

Eurethane

The windscreen adhesive that we currently use has a 1 Hour cure time and is fully cured inside after about 7 Days. Not the easiest thing to work with and a nightmare to get off your fingers.
    Very flexible though and may work well as a scope enhancer. :)

4. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Sikaflex is available from plenty of outlets and is the same stuff I think.

I used it to fit windscreens when I was a JCB engineer and it is also used for fitting body panels onto cars.
    I recently used a white version for fitting the shower base at home, as you can use it to fill wider gaps than silicon and it still sets in the middle. I will have to cut through it or pull the plaster off with it to get it out.:eek:

It basically sets like a solid rubber with a similar density.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Can't you 3d print rubber bri?

6. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    No is the short answer

7. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I've used it Bri, but only for small projects, not sure if it's flexible enough but not used it on anything large. It would be easier to tool up and use a silicone mix on this, been thinking about it myself as I've got good contacts.

8. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Making the things is not the problem.

What design, and the featured wanted on the final product will be the hard decision.

Nobody's face is the same as the next, some can use one design, some cannot and prefer another design.

Take the Bisley design and make it longer like the DG, and you are getting somewhere.......

9. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    My thoughts were to make one like the DG Designs one - that doesn't fit everyone, but it doesn't have to be a suction fit on your face.

It all sounds a bit messy and expensive to do so far though :D