MAC 1 - TOP US Field Target air rifle

Discussion in 'Others' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Aug 28, 2010.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    WOW ! - this is what is considered to be a top FT gun in the US...

Anyone in the UK tempted by this one ? :D

Compared to the Swedish IKEA Field Target stock on previous thread (which I still fancy & really is cross between a Steyr and Walther), the comments here on the MAC1 will be something along the lines :

" spare parts bolted together from my duff water boiler" or

" parts stripped from my grandfathers garden steam toy train"
    ! :D:D:D:D

Some MAC1 info & pics from here: http://socasa1.blogspot.com/

Looking forward to your opinion & comments. ....

NB: I think that Swedish chap sold his design to Walther ! :D see the pic !

Attached Files:

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    got 005 anatomic here... very light, very responsive and different feel over other walthers...

mac 1, haven't shot... jcos and a few others have though. Seen one in the flesh... looks a bit like a buell of a gun to me.

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Mac1 has won more FT matches in USA than any other gun, I have met Tim (designer) and shot with him in Germany 2004. I believe it won the Worlds in 2007 in hands of Paul Cray.

4. kilty

kilty Member

Club:
    SPRINGFIELD ARC
    Ask Dopper what he thought of it when we shot it in Poland 2006.

Certainly did the business for Paul Cray

cheers
    Barry

5. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Excellent gun but not for 12fpe, I believe that's why Paul Cray now shoot's a Steyr.

If you want' more info the best place is Larry Durham forum.

In the early day s it was called Simply Simon.

6. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

I believe it was '05 when Billy Lo won the US FT nationals in Tacoma, WA with the Mac1 USFT rifle -the phrase going around was, "You've just been beaten by the ugly stick!":D The story as I heard it was that Larry Durham used to modify steyr LG's for FT, and got sick of fiddling with regulator problems all the time and wanted to build something simple and reliable for himself. Brilliant low pressure design, IMO -the large capacity air tube functions on ~1800psi I believe. With NO regulator they're seeing about 60 very consistent shots per fill up at 19fpe. They offer a 12fpe port restictor that'll give many more shots per fill. Each rifle must qualify in LD's 50yd test tunnel before it ships out. I believe the requirements are a 15 shot group smaller than a US nickel -which is about 21mm. VERY reliable guns, easy to strip and maintain yourself. I personally think the triggers are not on par with something like a steyr or FWB, and they are not as pretty as the UK and Euro guns, but they definitely shoot, and are very capable of 1st place at any FT match.

regards,

Scott in CO

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  7. Jon

Jon Member

Seen a piccy in a mag around 1995, last 10 years by LD.
    Reservations on build but if its passed a safety test ok. 3/16" mush head screws holding end plug in close to end of cylinder!

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Investigate a little more, that gun works at a maximum pressure of 1800 PSI (124 Bar) and has a 3000 PSI burst disc which will rupture and dump the air out if the user accidentally overcharges the gun.

The tube was checked to a 6000 PSI level so having a burst disc protect the system at half that pressure is very safe.

The fill port is on the side so you don t have to point the end to yourself like in a lot of guns and also has a pressure gauge, so much safer then probably 90% of the guns in the market.

9. Jon

Jon Member

Things may have changed with the production ones and have no interest, as i say two 3/16" threaded screws holding back that pressure on a large bore tube positioned very close (breakout) doesnt inspire confidence.

6300psi will move (elongate the hole through tube) with three M5 in stainless steel Grade 316S11 on the heads not on the threads!
    1/8" wall HE30TF 1 1/4" dia brated at 3000psi will blow at just before 6000psi and thats a lot larger excluding the fixing.