Lube Belleville washers?

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by CameronWilson, Jun 20, 2012.

1. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Following on from my post of the video clip - which demonstrates how a regulator actually works - it would appear as though the pressurised air never actually comes into contact with the Belleville washers themselves.

If this is the case, do you think that there is any benefit in slightly lubing the Belleville washers with something like white lithium grease?

Or do you think that the grease would eventually find its way out into the valve etc.?

Cheers,

Cam.

2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Cam, i'm of the train of thought that goes like this....

Whenever i have opened a reg, i have never found any sort of lube inside.

3. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Nothing in the ones i put together, and lube thickness will change will temp and cause the reg pressure to change.

4. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

My reg runs with Bellvilles and a layout like in the simulation you posted. I have assembled regs with and without lube on the springs, my springs are aranged in 2 stacks of 3 like this )))((( cycling the reg in the setter it is not possible to differentiate between a lubed and unlubed reg, maybe because the movement of the piston is only a few thou?

5. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Yeah, I can't recall ever opening up a Steyr reg before and finding any traces of lube - hence my question. Although in saying that, the 'enthusiast' body will often find ways to improve upon the factory standard item.

I didn't appreciate that the movement of the shuttle was quite as short as that!

Precision stuff indeed!