Loosing faith in a rifle..

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by 5teve L, May 13, 2009.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    After shooting badly (for me IMO) at the UKAHFT's last weekend i've lost confidence in the MPR a bit, so much so i have taken to stripping it down for a clean, removing the scope & refitting it in a hope to start a fresh with it as i do love to shoot it.
    Don't get me wrong, my top score has come with the AA but it just doesn't seem to be as good as it was ???

This isn't helped by the fact I used the MK4 on our indoor comp this week & scored my best score as well, 148/150 which hasn't helped, this coupled with the fact i've not shot under 55 in HFT with it either... The future is looking Daystate :eek:

Anyone else ever had this ?? What did you do ?
    I don't want a rifle like that Kingplinker bloke has that looks nice & doesn't get used (his prosport) :eek:
    :D

Cheers
    Steve

2. Feral

Feral New Member

You know my story Steve, went from the Steyr to the MK4 and my scores improved... not that I think there was anything wrong with my Steyr just the MK4 and the EB suit me better... come over to the dark side!

3. richardio123

richardio123 Member

Have you cleaned the barrel? Does it still group? Do the pellets come out the same speed? With HFT I have to be careful of parallax error too!

It is more than lightly operator error, I shoot a lot of prone rifle and considering the hold it is still easy to miss!!! Hanging on to long, staring down the sights to long, pressure in the shoulder, bad trigger, bad hand position, bad follow through, bad body position, even just had a bad day all makes for bad shoot!

I think clean the rifle, group test it indoors and then feeling good again go shoot your best round ;-)

I have started shooting a FT comp, thought the AG has gone wrong and all of a sudden it is right on the money again, just me! But I have also had a reg go mid comp so testing the kit has to be first.....

good luck :eek:

Rich

4. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

If you shoot better with the MK4 then use that mate, put them both side by side and see which one you can shoot best with prone, kneeling and standing. I went through a shakey patch last summer when I was working loads and not shooting enough UK spec courses, it was always me as the gun hadn't changed at all. Just keep your chin up mate, shoot the one that gives you the most enjoyment and only that one for a bit it'll put your scores right again.

One question though, have you been shooting the MK4 more than the MPR recently?

Ryan

5. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I haven't Ryan, i normally get the urge to use the MK 4 but end up using the MPR for big comps, she normally does the bizzo but just recently i'm feeling a little let down by her, i can't explain it, i think i'll try using the MK4 on a few of the SiHFT's & see how it does, if it does me right then the MPR will get shelved, i may use it as an FT rig.. I'mnow wondering if it's the stock actually :eek::shot:

Don't think it's PA error as i use the same scopes on the same settings & with an enhancer..

I know what you mean Cliff, maybe some rifles just suit people better than others..

Or maybe i just had a bad weekend, i know Sat i was tired, wet & pi55ed off, Sun i was shooting a mildot to the left..Like i say i have stripped it & cleaned it, re-fitted the scope etc. maybe it was just me....

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If you get on better with something else, I don't see a problem with moving on... but I think it's of value for the future to find out objectively what the difference is... even if there's no difference in performance, sometimes the feel of a gun just becomes an important factor. Doesn't matter, but find that difference in a clear moment of thought.

There's plenty of guns I know that perform as well as my walther, but it's the feel I like over almost everything i've shot. To be honest, having gone through the mill with the walther in it's early days, i could have been better off with a different rig... but having gone through that and out the otherside, i'd feel very odd shooting another make... it's bad enough just switching to another walther rig!

7. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

What was your best score before the new stock and with it? I know for me it'd be too big and bulky to use for HFT. Is there any pattern to what's happening or is just you? We all have bad days mate.:)

Ryan

8. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    The only thing i can really put my finger on is the stock :eek:
    But, like i said, i normally do ok with it, i will give the MK4 a run & if it seems better i will prob switch to that & use the MPR on the odd occasion... then again the way i felt over the weekend it was just prob me, it's difficult to put my finger on at the moment, maybe i should shoot back to back with each & see what the difference is on paper at different ranges..

9. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Not sure Ryan, i'd have to look back to the start of this year for the new stock to be sure, the mpr stock it was 59 & a couple of 58's i think.....actually, I think the new stock is 57 @ MAD for the SHS.

10. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Steve, no difference between a M.A.D SHS spec course and a UKAHFT course. Reckon you just had a bad weekend, everyone gets them and its a hell of a trip up from Horsham;)

11. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    No, no, i'm quite sure it's the rifle that shot badly, i couldn't possibly do such a thing :D

Maybe I need a service :eek:

No offers please

12. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

sell it you tart ...... it looks gay anyways , wot do ya need two guns for , you do know this is punishment for leaving your team when we needed you most ...........ahh the sweet smell of kama:cool::D

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  13. john0108

john0108 Member

Hi Steve.

Listen mate, I dont normaly take waif's & strays in but my offer on Sat was genuine, you were having a bad day on Saturday (weather, early start etc) and then a cold damp night with the Rivi wild life.
    I wouldn't blame the gun just yet. Give it another go & see if the score improves.
    If not sell it & get a proper Daystate:)

Atb

john

14. blackscale

blackscale Member

Sorry Steve but ignore all the others...You are just Crap!

It seems You Me Simmo and a few more have 'Peaked':rolleyes:...At a Young age:rolleyes:

I Blame them pesky juniors!....:D:D

My work is seriously trying at the mo...don't help!...As everyone say's, Bad patches come and hopefully go!

So get your ar$e into gear and stop sulking like a big girl...and the stock is great, just start enjoying yourself again! :D:D

Spongerina!

XX

15. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Ah there you are John, thanks again for the offer mate, a true gent. If it hadn't dried out i'd have taken you up on the offer.
    I think it prob is/was just me, I think i was expecting to do a bit better (understatement :rolleyes:) & drove a long way to shoot my worst score since starting to shoot .177 :D

Spongey, i think we may be taking it all to seriously these days, it seems a score under 55 is a bad day, when in fact it's a good score..See you at ours on the 31st & expect your arse to be handed to ya :eek:

Steve

16. blackscale

blackscale Member

Bring it on Lofty! :D
    Once the deed is done we must post our individual scores up here! :eek:
    You've seen how i have been shooting lately..:rolleyes:..Plus you have Home advantage.(List of ranges etc)
    Bleddy horshamites..just a load of pikey's!

:p
    XX

17. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

At least Steve comes out of Sussex, whats up Spongy scared the big boys might get you :p:p:p:D:D:D:D

UKAHFT National scores only count:p:p:p:p

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  18. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Yep, no hiding behind handicaps, you're as good as your score proper shooting!:p:D;) I hope my company didn't put you off after Kelmarsh Mike?:)

Ryan

19. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I've adjusted the scope/trigger position & stripped the MPR for a thorough clean, I will be trying it down the club tonight to see how it feels :)

20. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Shot the MPR in comp today, tricky course & I shot pretty well with it so fingers crossed (although in the back of my mind i'm always wondering would I have done better with the Mk4 now) :)