Looking into FT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by 5teve L, Sep 4, 2013.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I'm looking into shooting (ok trying to shoot :p) FT next year, I have never shot FT but have done HFT for a few years now. Is it easy to cross over to FT from HFT ? The thing I am wondering about is clicking & ranging with the scope rather than just looking & giving hold under/over.
    I realise I need to change my scope, was looking as the T35 or 50 for now, is there anything else I would need ? My MPR has a Gary Cane stock that should do me for now.
    Also will I need to be a member of a club or have to have a number to shoot in the comps ?

Thanks

Steve

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Ey up Steve, I've done a fair bit of both HFT and FT (and SFT too) so I'm probably reasonably well qualified to have an opinion on the subject.

First off, I'd say, don't rush into your scope choice. First thing for you to do is just plonk the highest mag scope you currently own on your intended FT rifle and spend a bit of range time getting your sitting position stable.

Believe it or not, but with some adjustments, practice, trial and error and a bit of observation of other shooters sitting position eventually you'll be able to get it very nearly as stable as a rested prone position.

My advice would be to get yourself to a club with not only some decent FT shots, but also a decent FT shot who is able to explain what it is that they do. and have a look on some of the photo threads on here from the 2013 GP series - there's some excellent examples of the different positions people use in those photos.

One of the biggest differences you'll notice is, shooting on high mag is quite a bit different to shooting on 10x mag - and it will really show up any stability issues in your positions, even to the point where you'll really be able to see your pulse if you don't get your points of body contact right.

Don't worry too much about range finding or clicking at the moment - plonk your highest mag scope on your FT rig, set it to say 35x mag and see how you get on with your sitting, standing and kneeling positions with it.

If you don't have a 35x mag scope - buy something cheap and cheerful (maybe one of those £65 BSA jobs) to give it a try.

You might discover that although you need 40x mag to range find, that you shoot better on say 20x mag or 16x mag - quite a lot of FT shooters shoot on a lower mag to what they rangefind on. And that's an option that isn't open to you if you go out and buy a fixed mag scope from the outset.

Clicking is nothing, it's a doddle. It's actually a lot easier than holding over! - there are a few little gotcha's you'll need to watch out for (going a turn out for example). Rangefinding by parallax will take you time to learn, you're probably looking at a learning curve of around a year to two years to get it consistent and learn the quirks of your chosen scope.

We're coming up to winter league season now, so it's the perfect time to try stuff out. Winter league shoots are nice and relaxed and no one gives a toss about what score you put in (apart from yourself)

3. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

looking

Come along to the kent open this sunday ,bring your kit and have a go
    Details on tge calender on this site

4. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Thanks for the detailed reply Brian, lots to think about. I don't have a high mag scope at the moment so will pick up a cheap one so i can try it out & see how i get on. I have been looking over videos on youtube of the shoots recently.
    I am at the Air Arms shoot this sunday so won't be able to make the Kent open unfortunatly Dave.

5. rich

rich Active Member

If you are competent at rangefinding by other methods then a high mag scope is a luxury. I shot my first FT comp with a Simmons 6-18 and a 30-30 ret and enjoyed every moment. OK I scored 12 ex 30.:)

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    FT

Best thing to do is to join a FT club and do the winter league . Kent Woodsmen as dave croucher says has an open this sunday ,it is a friendly club , not to big to forget your name like some . really you need to try the kit and then make your mind up . the scopes you mention are worthy but can be variable . nothing like trying before buying . remember buyer beware . unless you shoot over the arm the stocks you will be using have to be deeper than in HFT or have a lifter fitted . if you do the winter league it will give you the chance to see what people are using and ask WHY . then when you come out the end of the winter league you will be ready for some big comps ??? HOLLY:)

7. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Cheers for the reply & sorry for the late one back.
    I will be looking at FT clubs soon & possibly try to shoot some winter league if possible. I am jumping in at the deep end & going to try to make the Essex 50 :eek: I'll just try to make do with my little 3x12x44 SR-6 for now & hold over :D
    I am still torn between the T35 or the T50, I think the T-50 may win due to being able to drop the mag if needed...

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    T50 is probably the more usable scope for the new shooter imo.

9. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Thanks Rob, it's a difficult one since there are no FT clubs 'close' to me so I can't go & look through either before buying. The T-50 is looking favourite though.

10. gpj

gpj Member

Club:
    ETL
    T50

Steve,

I've got a T50 you can have a look through at the Essex 50, as everyone has said best to have a look before you buy.

11. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Many thanks, I will try to find you for a peep through it :)

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Will

You will enjoy the Essex 50 . graham the lad who will show you the T 50 is alright , just a shame he cannot shoot :eek: look for a big palloka . that will be croucher from Kent Woodsmen . the boys from KW are a pretty good mob . like i say a smaller club where you won't dissappear . give you chance learn the game without pressure . cheers HOLLY:):rolleyes:

13. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Might be a daft question but I couldn't find a definitive answer :confused:
    I noticed you can have the forestock on the knee in the sitting position but can the but pad be touching the opposite knee ? The way my rifle is set at the moment for HFT I was struggling to get comfy, when I did I noticed the but pad was just touching my opposite leg/knee.
    Is this legal ?

ta

14. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Yes, you must be very skinny with long legs!

Come to think of it there ain't a worded/defined sitting/freestyle position.

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    AS

As connor say's yes you can . FT is freestyle . within certain rules . see graham and ask him to put you with an experienced shooter. he will with luck help you out on the does and dont's of the game and don't forget to ENJOY it . smile . it's above all fun , skilled fun . but fun ??? HOLLY:):D

16. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Skinny for an FT shooter maybe :p:eek::D 6'1" so not overly tall. I have a feeling once I get set up properly my sitting position will change ;)

Will do, I have my sights set low, anything above 0 :D

many thanks again for the advice :)

17. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Got

I gor 8 on my first comp . not much better now :eek:. what you might have a problem with is times . i don't think they use em in HFT ? 2 mins a lane , from when your eye touches the scope . so have a good look at the targets before you sit down . identify which order to shoot em in . have a guess at the range . check the wind direction . you are then ready to give those targets HELL . if they have an open class it might be an idea to enter that ??? HOLLY:)

18. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I'm too thinking of shooting FT this winter.

I'd shoot it in recoil with a 77 in a Wilson FT stock and an old Custom Shop ( to start with until I realise I can't hit anything ).

I'm near Stoke so sort of in between the North West and Midlands groups. Either of those any benefit to a new FT shooter?

I suppose in travel time Byley is probably my closest ... 2 junctions up the M6 ( 20 mins ).

Would I automatically start in C class or do I go into recoil?

... Oh and Holly ... there is supposed to be a 2 min rule in HFT. It's not that strict. Marshalls tend to wander around and if they see someone is taking the Mickey then they will get the clock out and time them. If they are clearly over then they are warned and asked to speed up a tad. Repeat offenders can be asked to leave although I don't know if that has ever happened?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Right

Ah right , well just so long as you do not end up like Rob :eek: walking around in ripped jeans and a very Nasty twitch , from shooting that old boinger??? HOLLY

20. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    OK, another quick one on the T-50, does it matter if the scope is 0.05 Mrad or 1/8th clicks ?:eek: