looking at starting HFT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pwiles1968, Jan 22, 2012.

1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 New Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    New to the forum and even newer to the sport as I am still looking at Rifles I don't own one yet.

I guess I am typical as I shot open sight sprung rifles in my teens (a few years ago now) was just plinking really back in he days where the law was not so tight ;). The past 5 years I have been in to target archery shooting a Compound bow fairly competitively at County level, but i am getting to the stage where I would like to try something else, initially as well as the archery, though I will probably end up doing less of that.

Have been recommended Kilworth and it is only 10 miles from home, so took a visit well 2 actually and had a chat in the shop and looked at the practice range, tried out an Air arms S410 and S200, the s200 appeals because I think my 9 year old son and 12 year old daughter could handle it too they seem interested in having a go through if it is like their archery they will not be there too oftern, I am 5'6" so can make the s200 fit although I am Leaning toward the S400 possibly in the Carbine light weight if my son can not hold a standard rifle, he will probably shoot from a table and bean bag initially.

I an definitely interested in entering some local HFT's they sound like good fun may also see if the kids are interested hence being able to shoot the rifle.

I am reading and learning as much as I can before I take the plunge any advice is appreciated sure i will be along asking the usual newbie questions be kind to me.

Paul.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Welcome Paul, you have certainly done the right thing in going & trying different equipment before buying and maybe regretting a little later.
    It's worth remembering that if you intend the HFT route, you can only load 1 shot at a time if the gun is a multi and the gun must remain uncocked until you are ready to engage the target - so you may be able to save a quid or 2 by going the single shot S400 route if you gel with the air arms.

3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Hi Paul welcome aboard, I'm not too far from you if you fancy a chin wag about airguns. The next near ish comp is at the Greyhound on the second weekend of Feb as part of the Midland series. If your daughter wants a go I can bring my wife's gun along for her to try.

Ryan

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 New Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Wow thanks for the offer may well come along for a look was hoping that the sport is a sociable one and so far definitely looks that way, I work in Coventry so greyhound is close enough to travel to, it is more my son that is interested and I suspect if i ask the shop at Kilworth will let him try an s400 for size.

Does the Greyhound have a website or any other info, looking at Clubs also have been down to Cosford, nice and friendly there though only seen to be open Saturdays for Air Rifles.

I am not the most patient of people I can see myself with a set-up before then I have not got huge amounts to spend ATM but I could stretch to a light weight S400 carbine and scope if my son can handle the s400 that is looking favourite (Thanks Dave for the 1 shot info).

Kilworth seem pretty competitive on price and they have been good about trying the rifles so they will most likely get my business but is there any where else in the area you would recommend for air-rifles?

Paul

5. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Hi and welcome.

If you know what gun you like then might be worth putting a wanted ad on here. Often will turn up something that will be a lot cheaper than a retail shop.

The S400 is a great gun and the carbine is smaller and provided your son can get on with it you can't go far wrong. Its accurate and easy to keep clean/service yourself.

You are right about the friendliness of the target shooting fraternity. It astonishes me how helpful everyone is in this community. It was one of the main reasons i took up the sport:)

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Paul I'm in Wigston by South Leicester rugby club, if you want to bring your lad over one evening he can have a go of a couple of little guns I have. Just drop me a pm.:)

Daves advice of not rushing is the best you'll get.:)

7. stillwater

stillwater Active Member

Club:
    KSG, Misfits
    Paul, same as Charlts I'm down at Lubenham and run the HFt comps at Kibworth, you and your son are more than welcome to come over and try a few rifles out. will drop you a. PM with some details.

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 New Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Thank you for all the offers, Have sent PM's.

9. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Paul, have you ever been involved with Lutterworth Rugby club?

10. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 New Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Afraid not no, I was born in Rugby and Shoot with Lutterworth Archery Club but that is as close as it gets.

11. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Hello mate looking forward to seeing you and the kids on the circuit shortly.
    There's a very nice 400 for sale on the NWAF forum at the minute, it's been regged and is in a GinB stock.

Dave

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 New Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Google search turned up National Winter Ales Festival :D

After I have a play this weekend if I am still looking at 400's will take a look, Can you PM me a link (assume posting it here is against rules)

Thank you for the heads up and Hello.

13. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Here you go mate

http://nwaf.eu/index.php

you'll have to set yourself up with an account to see the for sale section but the guys on there are a friendly bunch.

Dave

14. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 New Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Great Day at Kibby, thanks to everyone that loaned me and the son guns to try, lost count of different Makes and Models, son is really liking the S200 although I think I let him get a bit too cold he was not too impressed by the end.

Have some thinking to do now.

15. stillwater

stillwater Active Member

Club:
    KSG, Misfits
    Was good to see you, glad you both enjoyed yourselves

16. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 New Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Picked up a Mk2 AA T200 today through some of the Kibby members, it was the rifle that best suited myself and my son, thank you for the help again today much appreciated, Can not wait to start shooting it.