Long range and extra long range

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by rich, Oct 21, 2014.

1. rich

rich Well-Known Member

On Sunday just gone we put on an event at our club, a long range outdoor bench rest comp.

The rules were quite simple; any sub 12fpe rifle, any calibre, any scope, any mag, rest or bean bag forward of the trigger, no rear support, no bipods.

Three details to be shot; the first at 60 yards, the second also at 60 yards, and then the final detail at 80 yards.

Everyone had two cards for each detail, a practice card and a scoring card, and twelve minutes to put ten holes in the scoring card.

We were hoping for dry weather, and we got our wish. We were hoping for a little bit of a breeze just to spice things up, and we got more than we asked for. The wind was running at a fairly steady 18 to 20 mph, roughly over your left shoulder, but as the orientation of the five lanes spread out in a fan shape, this meant more drift on one side than the other. The killer lane was number 4, whatever turbulence the hedge than runs along the side of the field produced, it was far more on lane 4 than on lane 5 which was closer to the hedge.

Targets were the regular 50m rimfire cards. You can just make them out in the photo.

[​IMG]

One of our newest members who hasn't even bought his own rifle yet, happens to be a left ****** like myself, borrowed my Airwolf with a Falcon T50 on top, and promptly put in the best score in detail 2. :eek:o

Edit: oops! I used a colloquial term for left hander and the swearword filter took exception. I know what I meant..........................

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. blackscale

blackscale Member

Love long distance shooting, got any pics of the cards once shot Rich? :D

3. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Nevermind the scorecard, got any pictures of the hooker :D

4. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Pmsl that was just the tonic I needed at 8am on a Monday morning! Brilliant Brian!

I like how you got round the filter too ;)

5. rich

rich Well-Known Member

I think we may still have some cards. I will only be able to scan the centre though, as they won't fit into my scanner at full size.

Brian = the h***** is wearing the camo jacket:D

[​IMG]

6. hotversion

hotversion Member

Fallen

Didnt anyone help him on the left who fell over?;)

7. rich

rich Well-Known Member

OK, here are the centres of some of the cards. The first one is from Bill H and this was the best card in detail 1.

[​IMG]

Next, Roger's card from detail 2; this was the top score in that detail.

[​IMG]

Then we put the targets out to 80 yards. Best score was from Bill S and this is his card. There are only seven holes in it; three were off the roundel to the right.

[​IMG]

I've slightly doctored all of the cards to make them easier to see; I've digitally enlarged the shot hole to 22 calibre as near as I can on centre with the holes left by the 177 pellets.

Bill H was using a MPR with 8.4 grain AA pellets. Roger - as I said earlier - was using my Airwolf and 10.3 grain JSB heavies. Bill S was shooting his Hammerli AR20 and I think probably with 7.9 Exact Express.

8. blackscale

blackscale Member

Great stuff! Thanks Rich, Very hard finding really calm days, some good shooting there!

I had a go at putting 5 shots inside a 1" circle. I waited for a totally windless early morning and managed to get 4 inside with one drifting out due to a babys breath of wind that was barely discernible....Great fun! :D:D

9. rich

rich Well-Known Member

I think what was also interesting on a technical level, was the fact that most cards as per the top two above showed the shooter had the elevation about right, but the variation in the wind speed caused the side to side difference, and there was no sign of the vertical component which the experts say is there.

I've always found any vertical component to wind drift with a sub 12fpe rifle to be so small as not worth bothering with; the bigger issue is judging the wind speed, and I know that RobF is of a similar mind.

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Agreed Rich. Next you'll be saving pellets can't be pushed up and down by wind below or heavy air sinking...

What were the others like at 80?

11. rich

rich Well-Known Member

Let's say that Bill S won comfortably.

One chap with a Daystate Mk4 started to run out of air on the practice card. There was only a 12 minute detail period and he decided there wasn't time to leave the firing line, refill and come back, with not many minutes remaining out of the 12. It proved to be a flawed decision as his scoring target was brought in, in virginal condition.

What was also evident was the variation between the five lanes. Lane 1 was the windward side and lane 5 was roughly parallel to a hedge. It was lane 4 that returned the lowest scores every time, and it was only on lane 4 where we had trouble with the wind trying to tear the targets out from under the bulldog clips.

Nobody got to shoot lane 4 more than once, I might add.

12. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Wrong thread

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  13. KevinHarris

KevinHarris New Member

I am always interested to get some useful information about long range 50mm rifles. Luckily i found good points here . Good work.

14. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    That looks great fun; always been intrigued with trying long range with 12 fpe. It would be especially interesting with my springers as I don't own a PCP at the moment!

15. Tench

I have had a fascination with long range shooting but not done it competitively, here is a pic of a target I shot many years ago with a .22 BSA Ultra fitted with an Hawke 3-12x44 SR6, I was sat on a chair resting on the back of another chair. I couldn't shoot prone due to crops in the field. After a few sighting shots I did this 6 shot group. You can see some of the pellets have started to tumble. the pellets would have been 15.9gn AA fields. I would like to have another go with my .177.

[​IMG]

16. simmmo

simmmo New Member

So is that the secret revealed? BSA's barels use gymnastics to beat the wind?

Do you think they would hold accurracy if tumbling?

Bearing in mind at 100yds the pellet must be coming down on quite a steep trajectory curve perhaps they twisted on impact?

A 1000yd 7.62mm shooter once explained to me the bullets eye view of the target, it not seeing a perfect circle but due to its angle of approach/desent an elliptical one, where the top of the target is missing. Bit like a 45yd tin chicken where the paddle has strikes on it lower than the actual faceplate hole due to the few millimetres it is set back from it and the pellets rapidly descending flight path.

What material is the target board if you can remember?

Andy

17. Tench

It is a bit of soggy chip board, it was dry but had lived outside for a while, sprayed with primer to contrast the marker pen cross. the cross is about 2"x2". the board was about 2 foot square, I drew a big cross on it which divided it into 4 then put the smaller crosses in each of the 4 boxes. sighted in on the big cross then shot groups on the smaller ones.

I understand what you are saying Andy about the pellets may have rotated on impact due to the approach angle, I had not considered that before, I just presumed this distance was about the limit of the pellets stable flight distance. Maybe leaning the target backwards so it is at 90 degrees to the pellets approach angle would give a better idea of what is happening.

18. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Having the board at the right angle for the pellets approach flight at impact would be interesting.

Well shot Sunday by the way.

19. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    What distance was this?

20. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Clicking on the pic it is titled 100yds.

Andy