Light gathering - scopes

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi all

Who thinks that a 30 mm scope has better light gathering potential than a 25 mm scope and if so why ?

The reason I ask is that I recall a few posts in the past that agree that it has no major advantages infact I have never found them better in low light whilst hunting etc Saying that my 25mm Bushnell ( and carp eyesight ) struggled in the low light at Bisley last week to the point I even contemplated buying a 30 mm Viper . :eek:

many thanks

Dave

2. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    it has nothing to do with it

the only difference is a 30mm tube gives more 'clicks' on the turrets

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    it's the objective size and magnification, all other things being equal regarding lens quality/transmission that controls how much light gets to the eye... there are some subtle differences between scopes due to slight variations in their focal length, which is unknown (unless you want to take one completely apart and measure it), but tube width just allows more range of adjustment... a reason why some scopes go to 34 mm, and some have external adjustment that moves the whole scope.

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Light ?

Do your self a favour and have a look at a 8+32 burris . on 8 or 10 mag it is so bright it hurts your eyes to look through it . they make a dull day into a sunny one . chemically done i believe . but whatever it will sort your probs , no prob ??? HOLLY