Lgv .177

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by chris.allum, Apr 16, 2014.

1. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover
    Morning Guys ,

Just treated myself to a new Walther LGV in the not so desirable placky stock ... i shot someone elses the other day and found it really accurate for what it was ... a plastic break barrel ..

anyway ... found one at a good price and decided to treat myself ... it's something i think i'll keep and not worry too much about knocks and scrapes etc... and something i might use to learn how to strip and upgrade ???

is there any GOOD advice out there for simple tweaks i can make to the bog standard gun as it came ..

Cheers

Chris

2. Taz72

Taz72 New Member

Erm... yep: Replace the placky stock!:rolleyes:
    Only kidding. I think the marketing point of the lgv was that all the fancy-pants internal tuning & stuff was done out of the box already so probably wouldn't be much to be gained by a tuning newbie (no offence - I'm no tuning guru myself).
    There has been mention that a bit of fine tuning to the trigger helps turn a good trigger into a really good one.
    I expect someone who's had one in bits will be along soon enough - seem to recall that someone on here did quite a thorough "rolling review" a while back?
    Praps wear it in a bit, enjoy the gun then decide if there's anything that you think needs sorting?

3. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover
    ah no offence taken at all ... its good to hear its got good internals .... i'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to airguns ....the trigger is a definite point that need fixing , yes it is a 2 stage but , it feels really cheap ... that is something i'd want to start work on , baby steps n all that:)

4. Taz72

Taz72 New Member

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18782
    Found the link- it was brian samson and it was the competition ultra version. Should be mechanically the same I think other than the stock and whatever is on the end of the barrel for each version.
    I'm usually a Weihrauch fan but have toyed with getting an LGV.
    I'm hoping to add the LGVs sister the LGU to my cabinet when they eventually turn up in the uk.

5. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover
    excellent , cheers for that .... that already answers one of my questions ... when i removed the open shites i nicked the barrel , slightly ..... turns out it wasnt my fault

this guy had the same problem .... "We come to my first little niggle - when you remove the foresight you're left with a nick in the barrel weight where the fixing screw damages the dovetail."

food for thought

6. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    The trigger takes some setting up and isn't explained at all in the manual.. my review goes into it a bit deeper, but essentially don't think of the two adjustment screws as being independant, they're not - they work in the same way as the AA CD unit does.

You can get it shooting nice with no creep or gritty feeling to it, but it takes some twatting about.

As far as a tune goes.. someone was telling me at the weekend that VMach do a tuning kit for one.. My opinion on that would be what a complete waste of money that would be! Everything you get in a drop in vmach kit is already in the LGV but to a higher standard.

The lube as standard on the LGV is a bit too thick and too prone to dieselling.. so the best advice would be to a) either strip it and relube more sparingly with better lube - I used Red Rubber Grease on the spring and guides and a tiny amount of Quantum Hot Reel grease on the seal and piston bearings. OR... b) just put a couple thousand pellets through it (much more fun :) )

Another possible addition would be a spot of weight on the front of the rifle - so maybe a barrel weight or 3 to help reduce the slight bit of flip you get with them.

Personally, I'd just go out and enjoy it - maybe have a play with the trigger to get it how you like it and maybe think about what you'd like to do to it in 6 months time. They're a fun rifle to shoot and don't take much learning to be extremely accurate with.

You need to make friends with a springer before you start ripping her guts out.

7. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover
    Cheers pal , yeah .. I understand i need to run it in before i do anything to it really ... however i do want to try improving it .... as a project type thing ... like smooth out the trigger mech , some how dull out some of the recoil ?? .... but yep ....... all in good time

8. Brian.Samson

Club:
    My advice on that is, you need to decide your criteria for success before you even think about tuning a springer.
    The LGV comes essentially tuned already.

With springers, everything is a compromise, so you really need to decide what's the most important factor for YOU, and accept that other things might get worse as a result.

For example, you could dull the recoil but find that as a result it's more difficult to be accurate with (you probably will actually).. it's a case of deciding what's more important - dull recoil or hitting what you're aiming at.

9. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover
    OK .. Cheers for the advice .... :)

10. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    Brian is or course correct in what he is saying about getting used to a springer, what you will notice with the LGV is that the recoil, such as it is, is exceptionally well controlled and seems to have little effect on the direction the pellet goes in.

My standard LGV is just as much a pleasure as my Vmached HW97. as mentioned, the trigger is a bit of a faff to adjust, I have a photo of the internals somewhere which helps you to understand the relationship between the two adjusters (the trigger weight is separate) once sorted it is a lovely trigger.

IMHO once the trigger is sorted you forget about recoil etc. and just enjoy the gun.

11. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover
    Had a good shoot of it tonight and yeah the recoil is a predictable thud after a while ... But the trigger needs to be still sorted ...

12. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    Here is a picture of the trigger internals, might be a help.

[​IMG]

13. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover
    Cheers mate , yep I have a good idea now of which parts to polish

14. Brian.Samson

Club:
    They probably won't need polishing to be honest - they didn't on mine.

You just need to set up the adjuster screws correctly. I thought exactly the same as you when I reviewed the LGV - that the trigger sears needed a polish, but when I took it apart with the intension of polishing the sears I found they didn't actually need it.

Taking it apart gave me a good idea about how to set the trigger up and after I'd done that it was fine.

15. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    Plus one for that sentiment, the triggers seem to come out with massive first stage and too much pull on the second stage for me, adjust it right and nothing else really needs doing.