LG110 Help/advice required

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by dia6olo, Jun 24, 2012.

1. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

I have the new long version Steyr LG110, it is using a lot of air and I may also have a tiny leak, when leaving the cylinder on the rifle after filing it appears to lose a few bars overnight (haven't thoroughly checked that though). After filling cylinder, fitting to rifle, leaving for 20 minutes or so, taking a picture of gauge reading it would read lower the following day and lower still the day after that though it seems to settle after that...

I have decided to change the transfer port to the 4mm black one, I am currently waiting for some parts including the transfer port, reg checker, o'rings and other steyr parts.
    I have never done any major tinkering and it will be my first time, however, before someone offers I would like to do it myself so I can (A) learn and (B) service my own rifle in the future.

Does anyone know what the regulator pressure is set at on the new longer model (of course I'll be able to check that with the reg checker, but that will only tell me what it is set at and not what it was supposed to be set at)?
    What the pressure should be set at with the 4mm transfer port?
    How exactly is the pressure adjusted?
    How would I go about trying to get an ideal balance between regulator pressure and hammer spring?

One of my concerns is that a straight forward transfer port swap will then allow me to push the rifle well beyond 12flb which of course I would like to avoid.

I also have a second LG110 roughly 7 years old from new that has never been serviced.
    Apart from a strip down and clean, reg service and replacement of o'rings is there anything else I should be looking at?

What parts need oil, what parts don't and type/s of oil?

Any help/advice is much appreciated :)

2. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    The cylinder pressure wil drop anything up to 20 bar after filling. This is due to the cylinder cooling down after filling. This can be minimised by filling very slowly.
    If leave the cylinder of the gun after filling and it stil drops chances are this is all it is.

how many shots are you geting from a fill on the long LG110, should be 130.

3. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

I take it your gun is a gray import? Otherwise the new long barrel/ cylinder should still be under warranty,with regards to the reg pressure it should be 85 bar.

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    If you are gonna try the hard way and do it yourself, I can pretty much bet it will end in tears and frustration.
    Get someone who knows to show you how and be there to help you. they are a real pain the first few times you take them appart and there are a few tricks to do in order to reassemble correctly.

They dont need much servicing and the more you tinker them more that seems to go wrong.
    85bar for the reg with 4mm transfer port will give well over 120 shots (consistent) and a very smooth, dead firing cycle.
    Oil is the enemy!
    Conor

Only issue i can see with the longer barrel, longer cylinder and bigger port is the potential to take your rifle well in excess of 12ft/lb limit.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Longer cylinder is 280cc and will heat up when filling 15bar drop in pressure is common after a refill from 100bar.:cool:

6. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

It is not a grey import bought at BAR new.

I will tinker regardless of the warnings because well I'm a tinkerer :D lol Besides I'm confident in my abilities but obviously any advice from people who know would obviously make life easier :)

Assuming that all is required is a straight forward transfer port swap, is there anything I could do if then the hammer can push the rifle well beyond 12flb?

Obviously try lower than 85bar regulator pressure? But wouldn't that then cause an imbalance (reg/hammer)? Would I ideally not also need to do something with the hammer?

7. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Sounds like your reg might be bypassing slightly - which is something that you'd want Harry Preston (Steyr UK) to look at for you on a warrantied rifle.

With regards to swapping out the transfer port, I wouldn't lower the reg pressure, but rather lower the hammer force.

Err on the side of caution and wind it well down - you only want to be bringing it back up to power (no more than 11ftlbs) when you have a chrono on hand.

Cam.

8. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Im using the black transfer port on my rifle (2012 long barrel) at first i was having velocity problems in that if i adjusted the power down it would carry on creeping down then adjusting it up it would creep up? its now settled down and i run it at 775fps using JSB exact and now it is within 5fps every time over the chrono. Ive found mine needs to have the barrel cleaned after EVERY competition or the groups open up dramatically
    The black transfer port as Conor says makes the rifle totally dead to shoot. I had other problems with mine (barrel moving and pellet clipping with the muzzle brake) but it now works perfectly after a frustrating winter season trying to make it work as it should. I don't see me parting with mine any time soon now ;)

9. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

Something I forgot to mention in the original post regarding the new longer LG110, when I cock the rifle then de-cock it by opening and holding the cocking lever while releasing the trigger I get a blast of air when closing the leaver, not a full reg charge but enough to get a pop.

Now I know my other rifle doesn't do that so any ideas anyone?

10. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Yup, both mine and two other clubmates new Steyrs do that too;)

11. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Yes mine does that, a small pop but the rifle is working perfectly so I dont bother about it.
    Mine is a fairly new model FT110 with a cocking slot on both sides but Std length cylinder/barrel.
    Also has the black T/Port fitted. Putting out 11.3 Ft/lb.

12. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Active Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    try to avoid de-cocking your steyr your better off closing the lever fully and firing the rifle off.
    what happens is the hammer gets stuck on the safety catch then as you close the lever it releases it with just enough force to open the firing valve a tiny amount.
    trouble is any friction on the hammer is best avoided from the safety catch. ive seen a lot of damaged hammers from using the safety catch as a dry firing gadget.
    as per last posts the loss of air and reg pressure have been covered.
    cheers.
    rich.

13. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

Thanks for the advice chaps will see how I go when I receive the required bits and keep you posted :)

14. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    My FT action does this, but none of my HP actions ever did.

15. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Good to know!

Also, when you cock the rifle you compress the Stabilizer spring, but a dry-firing cycle doesn't release it.

I'm convinced that if you put the rifle away whilst the Stabilizer is cocked, it'll have a detrimental effect on the spring (a bit like putting a springer away cocked).

Cam.