LG110 FT Transfer Port Washer

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by planner, Jan 10, 2012.

1. planner

planner New Member

Hi All - my first post on this forum.

I recently bought a secondhand Steyr LG110 FT (Steyr UK import about 2yrs old). It has the black transfer port with green O ring which I am finding is easily disturbed and is lifting when I load a pellet. This necessitates me pressing the O ring down flat before closing the breech. Is this normal or should I replace the transfer port? Any idea what a new transfer port costs and where best to buy? :confused:

Cheers,
    Ian

2. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Merlot on here is selling one.

Put transfer port in the serach box and itll come up. Or look in wanted section it was posted on the 7th Jan Or PM him direct.

Paul

3. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

You wont be able to buy a genuine black transfer port anymore,styer uk have come to an agreement with styer austria not to sell anymore of them,this is due to the possibility of the gun going over the legal limit when the velocity adjuster is wound in as far as it will go.
    Your options are,fitting a silver one which has a 3.5mm hole,or try wiseguy on here.If you purchase one from styer uk the price is approx £20,00Hope this is of help to you.

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Is the Transfer port damaged in any way ???

If not just try replacing the O'Ring as you original may have got distorted at some time

5. planner

planner New Member

Black transfer port no longer to be available

Thanks to all for the replies and the first thing I will try is to replace the O ring as suggested as I don't see any damage to the port body itself.

I had a similar conversation with Harry Preston on the subject of him no longer supplying black transfer ports. From what I can gather this stems from the ability (using the power adjuster) to wind up the power in excess of 12 ft ibs. Worryingly, Harry told me that just having the ability to wind the power up over the limit designates the gun as FAC in the eyes of the law in the UK, even when the current setting is under the limit. Is this for real? Are Steyr UK over-reacting? Do we have any legal minds on the forum who could advise?

If true, surely this would be like accusing all men of being rapists and all women of being whores simply because they've all got the tackle to be so.

Stop the bloody world, I want to get off.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  6. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    As far as i am aware each case is assessed individually by the police. Any gun that is seized by the authorities will be forensically tested with a selection of pellets. An average result is taken and that cannot be over 12 lbs power or 16joules. Anything over that even by a fraction and your in serious trouble as its classed as FAC.

7. planner

planner New Member

Yes, that applies to any airgun and is understood. My point is about LG110 FTs like mine with the (retrofit?) power adjuster and the black transfer port. It is being suggested that should the police take your gun for testing, the very fact that it has the facility to wind up the power to a level in excess of 12 ft lbs using the adjuster automatically classifies it as FAC, irrespective of what it may be set at when confiscated - if it were my rifle for example, that would be around 11.3 ft lbs.

Is the problem (if true) because this adjuster is accessible, or does it have ramifications elswhere? For example, I had to modify my Weihrauch HW100 anti-tamper to an adjustable shuttle because the anti-tamper crept over 12 ft lbs. The main difference of course is that the adjuster on the HW100 is not exposed and cannot be casually altered - and maybe that's the issue.

If there is reason for concern don't you think there aught to be an awareness campaign and a plentiful supply of silver (I think) transfer ports?

8. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    In breaking news...

All cars fitted with an accelerator pedal will be seized by the Police, and if the Police find that the car is capable of breaking a 30mph speed limit, the drivers will lose their licence and the car will be destroyed - regardless of what speed the driver was clocked doing when they were initially stopped by the Police.

The Police are also allowed the drain the fuel tank, use rocket fuel, strip heavy bits of the car, drive it downhill with a tailwind etc. etc. etc.

9. planner

planner New Member

He He - daft isn't it. I'd just like to separate fact from fiction.

Just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get me ... :eek:

10. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    To date I've owned 9 Steyrs, 2 Daystates, 2 Weihrauchs and 2 Hämmerlis, and I can tell you that the only thing the Steyr has going for it, that justifies its eye-watering asking price, is the fact that they are completely dead when you pull the trigger. It isn't as accurate as a Hämmerli AR20FT, it isn't as efficient as a Daystate AirWolf and it isn't as functional as a Weihrauch HW100 – but what it does have going for it, which trumps all the other rifles I've mentioned, is the sensation you experience during the firing cycle.

The only way to describe it to someone who hasn't experienced it first hand, is that its the same as your friend asking you to look through your scope at the target he is about to shoot. You hear the shot, and you see the pellet impact, but you don't get the sensation that the gun you are holding has just fired. That's what it is like shooting a Steyr with a black transfer port. You can literally watch the pellet traveling down range through the scope. It's a beautiful thing, and it's all thanks to that patented Stabilizer.

However, if you put a silver transfer port in there, it's a completely different story. You might as well be shooting any another other PCP out there.

There are no other rifles I'd rather shoot than a Steyr with a black transfer port. But there are 10 other rifles I'd chose over a Steyr with a silver transfer port.

I can see why Harry Preston has done what he has – but it is a widely acknowledged fact on the FT/HFT scenes that a Steyr with anything other than a black transfer port is the equivalent of Diet Coke – you may as well have not bothered, and just picked something else.

It's a real shame that Steyr UK are only able to import Diet Coke.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  11. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    The problem is in the wording of the law it says 'any gun that is capableof exceeding 12lbs can be deemed illegal.

Putting a silver transfer port on our steyrs doesnt mean the gun isn't capable of shooting in excess of 12lbs. It like when i put my speed limiter on my car it'll only go 50mph but when i switch it off it'll go 155mph.

Its the same with anti tamper rifles. They are capable of exceeding 12lbs and infact so called legal guns have been tested and are over the legal limit. Its still the owners responsibility (which is a crock of you know what).

Harry Preston is doing the responsible thing to show to the authorities that he is doing the right thing and if questioned he is going to come out with the official reason why he did that, its the professional thing to do.

IMO the best thing to do is regularly chrono your rifle, keep it well below 12lbs document and date the results in a little book and be responsible with your shooting. Should 'plod' come knocking then you can show that you have been responsible.

12. planner

planner New Member

I agree 100%, particularly about testing regularly and logging results - that's what I do. It remains a question of "capability". I particularly liked CameronWilson's earlier post on "In breaking news ..." All we can hope for is that reason and sanity will prevail, but the cynic in me says "don't hold your breath..."

13. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Active Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    why did this thread that started off with an interesting question end up as the same old boring conversation about the police being out to get us with our "capable" guns?

and if you think the silver transfer port will stop your steyr going over 12lbft then best you wind it up and shoot it over the chrono.

the only sensible comment was from cameron saying that steyrs werent actually that accurate but saying that accuracy isnt everything!

rich.

14. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Remind me again how many world championships have ammerelli won,come to that,how many world champions use them.

15. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Well i thought my comment was sensible but everyone is entitled to their opinion i suppose:confused::confused::rolleyes:

16. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

"ammerelli" ??? I don't think Richard mentioned any other manufacturer in you highlighted post & he shoots a Steyr anyway

17. planner

planner New Member

Boring or not, the question remains ... are they out to get us ? :confused:

18. Where's Molly

Club:
    M.A.D
    yes mr merc your first post was informative and helpful and hopefully guided mr planner towards the correct item required to keep his gun performing in the way the manufacturers intended but after that it kind of got a little boring and just ended up in an attempt to scare mr planner and add fuel to a fire that will always burn until we all talk ourselves into shooting 8lbft.
    i think the hammerli has potential but feels to me like its been made down to a price. accurate though.
    not to sure about what world champions use but i wouldnt choose a gun based upon what someone done well with anyway.
    as mr scooby says i do indeed use a steyr as i think its the best all round gun for my sport (hft) but as already mentioned its not the most accurate gun out there by a long stretch and definitely not worth anywhere near its new price tag.
    i didnt mean any offence to anyone btw, it would just have been nice to see if anyone could have answered the original question rather than hijacking the thread with pointless comments and scaremongering.
    atb.
    rich.

19. Where's Molly

Club:
    M.A.D
    so youre not that interested in your transfer port then?
    shame that.
    i think NO is the answer to your last question.
    i think steyr do a metallic green transfer port that restricts it to about 6lbft. this is the one id recommend to you! :rolleyes:
    atb.
    rich.

20. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Richard, how is the therapy for your severe denial complex going ?

We all know you really want a Walther:D